In Dappled Groves v0.4.9-rc.8

Vinter Nacht

Screenshot.png.0b6104ad2af0474b334394bdebaf1459.png

Come Support Our Development Here On Patreon!

Special Thanks To: 

InDappledGrovesBulletVerySmall.png - Spear And Fang For Providing The Tree Hollows

InDappledGrovesBulletVerySmall.png - Taska For The Adzes and Bark Baskets

InDappledGrovesBulletVerySmall.png - DJVIrus For The Incredible Tool and Stump Models

Header.png

“And into the woods I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.” - John Muir

"In Dappled Groves" is a mod dedicated to changing our relationship with the forests of that land many call Vintaria. It starts by changing the appearance of the woods every so slightly, introducing stumps at the bottom of most of the majority of trees you'll encounter. These stumps will remain when the tree is fallen, requiring you to finish chopping it out. Their resistance is significantly higher than that of the logs themselves. Within these trees can be found hollows (Thank you, SpearAndFang!) in which the spoils of the forest denizens can be found. They'll drop when the tree has been felled, giving you access to beautiful storage space. 

StumpBulletSmall.png - Forest Changes StumpBulletSmall.png

InDappledGrovesBulletVerySmall.png - Trees now have sturdy tree stumps that will resist being removed.

InDappledGrovesBulletVerySmall.png - Logs now have typed resistances, balanced using the Janka Hardness Test

InDappledGrovesBulletVerySmall.png - Tree Hollows Spawn in Trees Throughout the World (Thanks, Spang!)

ToolsHeader.png
"Greeting to the vales and uplands,
Greet ye, heights with forests covered,
Greet ye, ever-verdant fir-trees,
Greet ye, groves of whitened aspen."
- The Kalevala - Rune XIV

To aid you in your forestry endeavors, there are also new tools!  All vanilla axes past copper have been removed and replaced with specialty axes.  Splitting Mauls split lumber faster but are terrible at felling trees. Forestry Axes are excellent for felling trees but not so much for splitting wood. Grub Axes combine axe and adze, allowing you to hew wood and chop wood with a single tool.

I have to thank Taska Rain for the adze and bark baskets the mod introduces.  Speaking of bark baskets!  When you hew a tree (using an adze or the backside of a grub axe. You can switch modes using F to swap between the available modes), you'll receive bark!  However, it won't work for baskets just yet!  You'll need to soak it for 24 game hours and use it while it's wet (It stays wet for 24 game hours) to make baskets. (I'll likely be making this configurable in the future, and I know that some work needs to be done to make this process worth it. I may up their capacity to 10 or 12 spaces, though I intend, in another mod, to make cattails similarly challenging to process).

Removing the instant processing of lumber into boards and firewood, replacing them with in-world interactions. Firewood is now produced by chopping logs into log slabs, log slabs into firewood, and slabs into sticks. You can make boards in-world simply by interacting with a log using a saw. Workstations can improve the speed at which you get results. The base speed of processing these recipes is based on the resistance of the block you're working with. 

You can also break down wood slabs, stairs, and plank blocks into firewood by splitting them with an axe.

StumpBulletSmall.png - New Tools & Workstations StumpBulletSmall.png

StumpBulletSmall.png - New Axes

InDappledGrovesBulletVerySmall.png - Forestry Axe - Faster tree chopping, slow splitting

InDappledGrovesBulletVerySmall.png - Splitting Maul - Faster wood splitting, very slow tree felling

InDappledGrovesBulletVerySmall.png - Grub Axe - Slow chopping, Slow splitting, Slow Hewing (F to switch tool modes)

InDappledGrovesBulletVerySmall.png - Adzes - The Preeminent Hewing Tool

StumpBulletSmall.png - WorkStations

InDappledGrovesBulletVerySmall.png - Chopping Block - Workstation for improved wood splitting/hewing.

InDappledGrovesBulletVerySmall.png - Sawbuck - Improved rate of wood sawing.

StumpBulletSmall.png - New Blocks & Materials

InDappledGrovesBulletVerySmall.png - Stripped Logs - Produced using an adze on a log that's been chopped down

InDappledGrovesBulletVerySmall.png - Log Slabs - Split any log with an axe

InDappledGrovesBulletVerySmall.png - Stripped Log Slabs - Split any stripped log with an axe

InDappledGrovesBulletVerySmall.png - Bark - Strip a log with a hewing tool (adze/grub axe) to get bark

InDappledGrovesBulletVerySmall.png - Bark Bundle - Place four of the same bark in-ground storage, and click with another piece of the same bark to create a bundle.

InDappledGrovesBulletVerySmall.png - Soaked Bark - Place a bark bundle in a water block for 24 hours (Not a barrel)

InDappledGrovesBulletVerySmall.png - Bark Baskets - Use 24 soaked bark to make a basket (Likely to be reduced due to                                                                                 processing time.)

ComingFeatures.png

InDappledGrovesBulletVerySmall.png Coppicing/Pollarding - When you cut a tree down in cold temperatures and leave the stump, it'll begin to sprout the following warm season. These will be able to be harvested for sticks and firewood. Other uses may become available over time.

InDappledGrovesBulletVerySmall.png Sawhorse Workstation - This is already functioning but doesn't have any use at the moment.  This will be introduced with 'sawn boards' and the following. 

InDappledGrovesBulletVerySmall.png Primitive Board Making - It will be possible to produce boards using a wedge.  This will produce rough timber. Using a hewing tool will process this timber into hewn lumber. Using a plane will then convert hewn or sawn boards into vanilla boards. Each of these board stages will introduce:

InDappledGrovesBulletVerySmall.png New Building Blocks - Rough, Hewn, Sawn, and Vanilla boards will all have blocks you can make out of them. They'll have custom textures related to their wood and board types. Rough blocks made from boards will have a variable texture to represent the unreliability of building with unfinished lumber.

InDappledGrovesBulletVerySmall.png Wood Curing - Wood curing will be introduced as well. While still being conceptualized, some things are known. Cured firewood will have longer burn times, and hotter temperatures (not smelting temps) than green wood. Uncured boards risk turning into warped boards, which will mostly be useful only for firewood, though another workstation may change that. Additionally, charcoal pits made with uncured firewood will have a risk of going out, and produce less charcoal per block.

InDappledGrovesBulletVerySmall.png Steaming Cabinet - A steaming cabinet is a method of straightening warped boards so that they aren't wasted. They may also become useful for making items that require careful wood bending. 

Edited by Vinter Nacht
  • Like 2
  • Amazing! 1

2 hours ago, Vinter Nacht said:

What incompatibilities?

From what i see (not tested, just logic conclusions): DS Debarked Logs and my own Better Than Heresy, because it adds and edits some wood-related recipies. I think i make branch for your mod without this features later.

Also, m.b. some troubles with XSkills, but not likely.

Edited by EreticKB

On 11/8/2022 at 9:29 AM, EreticKB said:

From what i see (not tested, just logic conclusions): DS Debarked Logs and my own Better Than Heresy, because it adds and edits some wood-related recipes. I think i make branch for your mod without this features later.

Also, m.b. some troubles with XSkills, but not likely.

There's a better way. You can just disable those features in my mod with a patch in your own mod so that anyone who uses the two together will be able to use whichever version you choose.  Maybe not easier than branching, but definitely provides broader use and greater compatibility options for everyone.

Regarding XSkills: A lot of people like mods like that, and that add classes. I, however, will not spend development time figuring out how to make them compatible.  If others would like to solve these problems in a fork of my mod and do a pull request, I'll credit them appropriately.

Edited by Vinter Nacht

• Vinter Nacht changed the title to In Dappled Groves 0.4.3-rc.2 (Live Release)
18 hours ago, Thranos said:

The exposed root height seem a bit much- maybe half of what they currently are would be better?

Trunks are what they are for now. There are two varieties that are randomly selected on generation (And aren't distinct variants or blocks).  Eventually, if there's enough interest and participation, each type of tree will get their own stump alternate models as is appropriate for that type of tree.

For now: Not convinced its necessary, it accomplishes its task, may change later.

v0.4.5 update is out. Corrects the issue with the infinite death spiral caused by chopping a placed log with an axe. (oops)  Also, reduced the stick drop from firewood to 2 (sticks were a more efficient fuel than firewood, prior to this... I don't remember who caught that and pointed it out, but thank you.)

• Like 1

On 12/13/2022 at 12:57 PM, TheWeeIrish said:

From my understanding - with this mod I can no longer craft planks.

There is no itemtypes>tools relating to Saws.

I've tried every type of log with every type of saw - they don't have any "Sawing" mode.

There's a patch that needs to go out to fix that. Will try to get it out tonight. Sorry for the wait.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Vinter Nacht changed the title to In Dappled Groves 0.4.7 (1.18 Release For Patrons)
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
20 hours ago, EreticKB said:

Hi. All log slabs needs to have orientation-fixed versions like vanila slabs.

It uses exactly the same orientation options as vanilla slabs, but the texturing is more complex than slabs, making the limitations easier to notice.  I may look into improving this in the future.

I have enjoyed your mods but unfortunately I now have to inform you we are officially mortal enemies 😝 My only two ingots! Well at least I know now for next time

image.png.cae47fce47201d7416c191d0dd743d9d.png

I have also noticed though that the bark bundles simply do not soak, unless I am doing something wrong. Been underwater for in-game weeks, and are still dry
edit: ohh willing to bet it's the seawater

Edited by Smeeslug

16 hours ago, Smeeslug said:

I have enjoyed your mods but unfortunately I now have to inform you we are officially mortal enemies 😝 My only two ingots! Well at least I know now for next time

image.png.cae47fce47201d7416c191d0dd743d9d.png

I have also noticed though that the bark bundles simply do not soak, unless I am doing something wrong. Been underwater for in-game weeks, and are still dry
edit: ohh willing to bet it's the seawater

What's going on with that smithing? If that's an adze head, it shouldn't take two ingots O.o
Also - That is almost absolutely true, I need to decide if that needs to be a factor or not.

Edit: I did a very brief bit of research.  Soaking in salt water shouldn't be an issue, as it isn't in iRL.  Will take steps to resolve this.

Edited by Vinter Nacht

4 hours ago, Vinter Nacht said:

What's going on with that smithing? If that's an adze head, it shouldn't take two ingots O.o
Also - That is almost absolutely true, I need to decide if that needs to be a factor or not.

Edit: I did a very brief bit of research.  Soaking in salt water shouldn't be an issue, as it isn't in iRL.  Will take steps to resolve this.

It takes Exactly one which is good really I just wasn't expecting it ahaha

On 5/14/2023 at 6:07 PM, Vinter Nacht said:

It uses exactly the same orientation options as vanilla slabs, but the texturing is more complex than slabs, making the limitations easier to notice.  I may look into improving this in the future.

Nope, when i craft vanilla slabs they have attribute "Placement mode:" with value "Auto" and through grid craft i can change it into "Only horizontal" and into "Only vertical" later.

With your Log Slabs i can't do that and they always "Placement mode: Auto". Which means massive headache when placing them.

Edited by EreticKB

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.