What about 1.18?

Tyron

Awesome, I'm looking forward to the new version!

I've only one important question regarding of the this part:

What about my old worlds?
You can still play on old worlds in 1.18, but this is the first time I would recommend starting a new world. The world generation changes might create jarring chunk borders when discovering new terrain in old worlds.

We've a two years old world, where we've a lot of work done, so we don't want to leave the world and start from the beginning. We would probably prefer to keep playing on this world. Please, would it be possible to implement some smooth terrain transition between the old and the new generated terrain? So it's not jarring but smooth...

We would like to enjoy the new terrain generating as well as the oceans, but we don't want to start again. Pleaase think about it, it would be highly appreciated.

Or, if there would be some multiworld support, it would be nice solution. We would keep our old world and add a new one to enjoy all new features.

Edited by Filip Nowak

3 hours ago, Filip Nowak said:

Awesome, I'm looking forward to the new version!

I've only one important question regarding of the this part:

We've a two years old world, where we've a lot of work done, so we don't want to leave the world and start from the beginning. We would probably prefer to keep playing on this world. Please, would it be possible to implement some smooth terrain transition between the old and the new generated terrain? So it's not jarring but smooth...

We would like to enjoy the new terrain generating as well as the oceans, but we don't want to start again. Pleaase think about it, it would be highly appreciated.

Or, if there would be some multiworld support, it would be nice solution. We would keep our old world and add a new one to enjoy all new features.

If you understand german; Julius describes all steps to copy your buildings and animals:

• Cookie time 1

Thanks for the link to the tutorial. 

Unfortunatelly for us is not enough to just copy some of our buildings to a new map. We've a city, composed to terrain. Some of our players has a large piece of land surrounded by an ornamental wall, something like the Great Wall of China. And in the center of the land, they've composed their house into mountains. Some of our players has a "traders trail" - a long way composed from translocator jumps and a marked paths from one trader to another. They're able to earn a lot of money during an one pass through the trail (they sell some goods to traders). Finding and preparing of this trail consumed a lot of time and effort. So it's not just about a couple of buildings to copy to the new world.

That's the reason why for us would be best one of the following options:

1. Make transitions between the old and the new terrain smooth, so there aren't an ugly cut off mountains, cut off lakes etc.
  2. Add a support for multiple worlds, so we can add a new world, still play on our old world and explore and settle the new world with oceans and the cool new terrain generation.

Please @Tyron consider our reasons described here.

Many thanks. We all love Vintage Story!

Edited by Filip Nowak

@Filip NowakAs far as I know, coding in that the new land generation recognizes that it was working with an old land generator and then smoothing the gap between the 2 is something very difficult and not really needed. It would be nice, yes, but it doesn't hold all that much importance I would say to the development cycle at least until Tyron is more happy with progressing the game. As has been suggested a good idea is to see as much as you can about making the old houses into a schematic maybe asking the players if they want to have their buildings saved like that, or if you are running it as a community server sort of thing, ask the players if they want to have the world be shared so they can take it into their singeplayer themselves to keep their buildings, but let them know you will be making a new world. In addition if you do share the old server world, you could also ask if the players would still like to have the houses imported over. 

One more suggestion is in theory you yourself could scour the border of the known map, using world edit smoothing tools to gradually move the land together which while it wouldn't be perfect would mean it's not a jarring transition.

As for the idea of adding multiple worlds, I think that's not a bad idea as either a different dimension like we can go into the rust dimension being a game world, but you might mean something like the MC bounceSMP streamer server, where there is the build world and the adventure world which they reset every few weeks. I do think that is worth having but I feel that could be easier as a mod at least short term instead of getting the devs to do it.

3 hours ago, Filip Nowak said:

Thanks for the link to the tutorial. 

Unfortunatelly for us is not enough to just copy some of our buildings to a new map. We've a city, composed to terrain. Some of our players has a large piece of land surrounded by an ornamental wall, something like the Great Wall of China. And in the center of the land, they've composed their house into mountains. Some of our players has a "traders trail" - a long way composed from translocator jumps and a marked paths from one trader to another. They're able to earn a lot of money during an one pass through the trail (they sell some goods to traders). Finding and preparing of this trail consumed a lot of time and effort. So it's not just about a couple of buildings to copy to the new world.

That's the reason why for us would be best one of the following options:

1. Make transitions between the old and the new terrain smooth, so there aren't an ugly cut off mountains, cut off lakes etc.
  2. Add a support for multiple worlds, so we can add a new world, still play on our old world and explore and settle the new world with oceans and the cool new terrain generation.

Please @Tyron consider our reasons described here.

Many thanks. We all love Vintage Story!

Honestly, ya'll should probably deal with the ugly-ish terrain transitions for now once the update comes out, it shouldn't be that bad if you've played games with various terrain generation updates like Minecraft. Just be sure to save a pre-1.18 backup if you decide against it.

5 minutes ago, maibock said:

Honestly, ya'll should probably deal with the ugly-ish terrain transitions for now once the update comes out, it shouldn't be that bad if you've played games with various terrain generation updates like Minecraft. Just be sure to save a pre-1.18 backup if you decide against it.

Yes, we'll probably go this way.

2 hours ago, Ogi Teh yeti said:

@Filip NowakAs far as I know, coding in that the new land generation recognizes that it was working with an old land generator and then smoothing the gap between the 2 is something very difficult and not really needed. It would be nice, yes, but it doesn't hold all that much importance I would say to the development cycle at least until Tyron is more happy with progressing the game. As has been suggested a good idea is to see as much as you can about making the old houses into a schematic maybe asking the players if they want to have their buildings saved like that, or if you are running it as a community server sort of thing, ask the players if they want to have the world be shared so they can take it ........

There was the Multiworld mod for MC (Spigot based). We used it in the similar situations, we created a new world and expanded to it but we could still live in and improve our old world. So maybe some mod would solve it, as you wrote 🙂

I just tried to export a whole city including a big castle using Schematic and it worked very well. I imported it to a new map and must say that it transfered almost everything. All things are in chests. It transfered even a mod based blocks pretty right, with some exceptions such is for example Fancy Doors, which was not imported well. Only animals has not been transfered all - some pigs has been transfered, all chickens but no sheep. Also reinforcements, land claimings and door locks has not been transfered (those data are probably saved into chunk, not into block, so that's the reason). But those are minor problems.

So, I've to change my previous opinion. The Schematic probably is solution for us to move to the new world. 

Thank you all for hints and advices.

• Like 3

On 2/2/2023 at 4:45 PM, BavarianViking said:

If you understand german; Julius describes all steps to copy your buildings and animals:

Hello; is this a mod, or an in-game feature? I'm not going to lie, I would probably like to "cheat" this way in singpleplayer myself instead of starting from scratch on a new world after some 200 hours of gameplay on the old one.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.