copygirl

Farmland Drops Soil 1.1.0

Farmland Drops Soil is a simple mod which only patches a single thing: Farmland, when broken, now drops their soil type.

oGpuPlo.png

This is for those people that got frustrated by losing their precious Terra Preta when wanting to move their farms to a better, fancier place or even their entire base. Well, you can't! Do note that this is potentially balance breaking, since you can break farmland and immediately re-till it for it to regain its nutrients, so I suggest you don't abuse this. This is the reason the game doesn't give you the soil block back.

By the way, if Tyron reads this, here is my suggested fix: Non-grassy soil is tilled into 0% nutrient farmland, and with each bit of grass growth, it would start out with more: Sparse Grass at 40%, Patches of Grass at 70%, for example. Once it's fully overgrown with grass it would till into the usual 100% nutrient farmland. You could tweak the chance / speed at which grass grows over dirt blocks to balance things out as well. Providing players with another way to reset the nutrients in their farmland wouldn't hurt, I feel.

Alternatively, I also came up with this suggestion:

What about doing something similar to food regarding the stacking [...]? Picking up a farmland block with lower than full nutrients will store its nutrients on the item itself. If the nutrients are similar enough to an existent stack in your inventory, they automatically stack. If not, you can still forcefully stack them, like food with varying amounts of freshness. Either way, the nutrients will be averaged.

[ Download ]
FarmlandDropsSoil-1.1.0.zip

This should work for pretty much any version of Vintage Story.

[ Source Code ]
You can also open the .zip file to see what the mod is made from, but here's the patch file for convenience, if you're interested.

[
  { file: "game:blocktypes/soil/farmland", op: "replace", path: "/drops", value: [
    { type: "block",
      code: "game:soil-{fertility}-none",
      quantity: { avg: 1, var: 0 } }
  ] }
]

Edited by copygirl

Well perhaps more like make the farmland drop soil with a special "was farmland" attribute and when placed it'll remember its state until tilled or so

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tyron said:

Well perhaps more like make the farmland drop soil with a special "was farmland" attribute and when placed it'll remember its state until tilled or so

If you actually make the soil items remember their state, then they won't stack anymore. I still like my idea best 😛

I think the two main suggestions on discord were

it's a 0% nutrient when you place it (this would affect all moved soil)

or you only get a block back when the tilled land is at 100% nutrient (so you're essentially 'preparing the soil for transport'

5 hours ago, DrTenabrae said:

or you only get a block back when the tilled land is at 100% nutrient (so you're essentially 'preparing the soil for transport'

That would be confusing for players who don't know about this rule, and frustrating in general. And doesn't make much sense, in my opinion, to drop nothing when you dig up farmland.

What about doing something similar to food regarding the stacking, to follow up on @Tyron's post? Picking up a farmland block with lower than full nutrients will store its nutrients on the item itself. If the nutrients are similar enough to an existent stack in your inventory, they automatically stack. If not, you can still forcefully stack them, like food with varying amounts of freshness. Either way, the nutrients will be averaged.

• Amazing! 1