Shrimppocalypse

Hi, I never say anything on  forums, much less non-gaming stuff on a game forum, but I thought someone might find this funny. I love aquariums, my wife and I have a total of six. We have hogchokers, kuhli, pygmy corydora, pea puffers; just all types of stuff. My favorite though is our shrimp tank; we have a male and female cherry shrimp in a variety of colors. But never any babies, even though I looked up optimum breeding setup and conditions. Hey, no biggie; the shrimp are still fun to watch. I haven't watched the shrimp tank for the last few days, as attention's been on the Cory tank; the bronze Cory just laid the first eggs of that tank. So, we were out today, and we had planned on stopping home real quick to feed the tanks before we headed out to watch fireworks. We never made it to fireworks, because when I went to feed my shrimp, I saw babies, like ever-freaking-where, like a total army of baby shrimp, in all colors, and I think more of my females are berried.  So, word to the wise: if any of you were thinking about getting cherry shrimp, watch out, because those little turds grow up to be prolific breeders. Damn, so many babies, running all over, bouncing off the adults, bouncing off each other. I think it might be time to upgrade to a 20 gallon soon, lol. 

All right, you folks have a good one, happy 4th to those who it applies to :)

Edited by Ryan Thomas
  • Like 4

Ok, I have one more. I'm watching this army of baby shrimp march across my tank. Even if like half of them don't make it to adulthood, I'm going to have to upgrade to a 20 gallon. That's fine; I have plenty of money for that. But while I was watching them, I saw worms in my tank. Some types of worms aren't harmful, but others, like Planaria, are indeed harmful. These things are too small atm to notice if they're Planaria, but there's no harm in preemptive action, right? So, I bought a 3 pack of Planaria traps and loaded one with raw chicken, one with brine shrimp, and one with bloodworms. I buried the entrance shafts of these traps in the substrate like the videos showed. This morning, I have no Planaria, but three traps full of very happy baby shrimp. They had to have tunneled through the substrate to get to those traps. So, should you ever have to move baby shrimp from one tank to another, I recommend Planaria traps. I'm wondering if the traps would work on baby Pepper Cory? Three of those have escaped my floating nursery; I should have gone with the one that has mesh siding instead of slots, because I saw those little escape artists hiding in the rhizome of a plant today. So, I'm using my Planaria trap to try and catch Pepper fry escapees. These fish of mine are worse than my kids, lol, there's always something going on in the tanks; it never ends.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ryan Thomas said:

there's always something going on in the tanks; it never ends.

I have a betta that, when he's not acting like a dog, he's looking down his nose at me like I'm his royal subject. He also likes to sleep in weird places--it's not unusual to find him wedged behind his heater or snuggled in the roots of one of the plants. His favorite decoration though is the cow skull. If he decides it's too early in the morning to wake up, he'll swim into one of the eye sockets and go back to sleep. 🤣 He's an ornery little fellow, and I call him Goober for a reason.

• Like 1

Interesting; I don't have a betta. I have four Platy in a nine gallon tank; they never give me any problems besides always begging for food. Ya gotta watch with those; they get swim bladder disease so easily.

My shrimp in my ten gallon rarely give me any problems, besides creating far bigger of a baby boom than I anticipated. I did see a dream blue baby running with a nerite's tentacle. How that happened is anyone's guess, but I moved him, and he seems to be doing just fine, even with just one tentacle.

I have a ten gallon with three dwarf pufferfish. They're moderately well behaved besides being messy eaters. I can't have any bottom feeders in that tank, due to the fact that puffers are total murder beans.

Then, I have a twenty gallon full of Pygmy Corydora, Kuhli, Oto, and a clown loach. The clown loach was playing in the bubble wall when I changed the water, now he's hidden himself under a Mopani. He'll be fine soon, hopefully. At the moment, though, he's dug in worse than an Alabama wood tick.

My other 20 houses three Panda Cory, three bronze Cory, three pepper Cory, four Kuhi, two Oto, and a Mystery snail. The Mystery snail likes to climb to the tops of things then jump off, which is common for them. But two of my kuhli have stayed hidden for months; they're snow white at the moment. I think I need a little more coverage. But I already have tubes, anubias, an Amazon Sword.... maybe I can entice them to rejoin their community with a moss mat. 

Finally, I have a 36 gallon with four hogchokers. Those four are well-behaved; their tank is just a lot of cleaning, being that they create a heavy bioload. The nerites in that tank are more concerned with breeding than cleaning. Luckily for me, the biggest hogchoker cleans all of those eggs off the glass. 

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.