Can’t find tin

aaron sons

I have played for hours trying to find tin. I can’t seem to find any surface deposits nor does my prospecting pick detect deep deposits. Is there some trick I don’t know of? I have made a different world to see if I could find tin in it but didn’t find any there either. 

51 minutes ago, aaron sons said:

I have played for hours trying to find tin. I can’t seem to find any surface deposits nor does my prospecting pick detect deep deposits. Is there some trick I don’t know of? I have made a different world to see if I could find tin in it but didn’t find any there either. 

I am with you there. Found one tiny patch of pitiful tin so far. Not even enough to make a bronze anvil so I can work with iron when I find it.

I found some recently, exposed in a cave - down reasonably deep, the first deposit of tin I have found ever. Tin is extremely rare on the surface. So far I haven't made good use of the prospector pick to actually find anything, but I guess it's still better than digging blind.

Edited by Magitex

you can increase the amount of tin found in surface depots over the settings if it's too much of a problem looking for it, same goes for copper.

I too only managed to get 16 nuggets which is just enough for an anvil, so i gotta look for enough to make a bronze pickaxe to get ironore.

Just as a little help, you can get tin out of (Ore) Urns in ruins although it takes luck. and i'm not really sure about that but i think you can try panning (more to that in the starter page in the wiki here)

• Like 1

During my present run I've found no shallow deposit of nor a single nugget by panning. 

The only tin I've found come from traders and from a single container found in a ruin. 

On the other hand, I've found a meteoric iron in 3 different spots and now I have 36 iron ingots and 6 tin bronze ones. 

41 minutes ago, Jeremy McArthur said:

I've been playing for about 2 weeks now. Usually an hour or 2 a day, never have I seen tin. I came across nickel in a cave, I think it was enough for 8 ingots. But ya never even a single piece of tin haha. Actually... is there a total game timer somewhere by chance? Now i'm curious.

there is a timer for time played inside your world but not one for overall time played i think.

3 minutes ago, Yukihira_S said:

During my present run I've found no shallow deposit of nor a single nugget by panning. 

The only tin I've found come from traders and from a single container found in a ruin. 

On the other hand, I've found a meteoric iron in 3 different spots and now I have 36 iron ingots and 6 tin bronze ones. 

yeah same here, found 3 meteorites. still laking a bronze pickaxe to farm the iron necessary to harvest them though since you need an iron pick to harvest them 😅

For anyone having trouble finding tin - searching for tin just by randomly entering caves is going to be very, very disappointing.  Ores only show up in certain stones, and they have density maps - they are not evenly distributed, even in a single stone type.   You need to get familiar with how the propick works if you want to increase your chance of finding tin.  Find cave openings, take samples, and if there is a decent chance of tin, check that cave.   Don't bother with caves that don't sample as having a chance of tin (or zinc/bismuth if going for bismuth bronze).  If you just search every single cave you come across you're probably wasting your time 90% of the time as far as tin goes (aside from possible ruin loot vessels).

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, redram said:

For anyone having trouble finding tin - searching for tin just by randomly entering caves is going to be very, very disappointing.  Ores only show up in certain stones, and they have density maps - they are not evenly distributed, even in a single stone type.   You need to get familiar with how the propick works if you want to increase your chance of finding tin.  Find cave openings, take samples, and if there is a decent chance of tin, check that cave.   Don't bother with caves that don't sample as having a chance of tin (or zinc/bismuth if going for bismuth bronze).  If you just search every single cave you come across you're probably wasting your time 90% of the time as far as tin goes (aside from possible ruin loot vessels).

I'm having a lot of luck just searching caves really - I have more tin than I actually need now, although the main stone here in caves is peridotite where perhaps tin is more common. Of course if I was actually looking for tin, I'd probably never find any..

1 hour ago, Jeremy McArthur said:

Ya in the games defense I have not set out on a "tin finding adventure" I've just now got a grasp on the propick mechanics. So hopefully once I actually start searching I can figure out the practicality of the propick and strike it rich! 

I'm not really clear on those

just found tin and iron in a cave, theres only 3 problems. the cave is a labyrinth far worse than anything i have ever seen in minecraft. it's almost overrun with tainted drifters. and my temporal stability makes a damn nosedive inside it.

finding the tin was most likely pure luck, i was only seeing one deposit in a wall and i got nuked while trying to make a waypoint so hard to say if i can find it again. the only good thing is that i didn't take anything with me except some dirt and a torch for the exploration, so at least i didn't lose anything.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

@Jamiro Morciano Google Translate Warning:

De nombreuses grottes ne contiennent pas de cassitérite (étain). Il doit s'agir du bon type de pierre et seules quelques pierres peuvent le porter. Et, il doit apparaître sur le choix du prospecteur. Si le choix ne montre rien, il n'y a rien à trouver.

Mais vous n'avez pas besoin de cassitérite pour progresser. Vous pouvez faire du bronze au bismuth à la place. L'avantage est que les ingrédients sont beaucoup plus courants. L'inconvénient est que vous avez besoin de deux ingrédients et du cuivre, pas d'un seul. Recherchez la bismuthinite et la sphalérite. Si vous trouvez les deux et que vous avez du cuivre, vous pouvez faire du bronze au bismuth. Dès que vous avez une enclume, une pioche et un marteau fait de cela, vous pouvez aller chercher du fer.

Le bronze noir est également aussi bon que le bronze à l'étain ou le bronze au bismuth ... mais, pour extraire l'or et l'argent, vous avez besoin d'un médiator en bronze. Ce n'est donc pas vraiment quelque chose que vous pouvez utiliser pour la progression.

According to the  Wiki (https://wiki.vintagestory.at/index.php?title=List_of_server_commands), the default chance of surface Tin spawning is 0.07, compared to 0.10 for Copper. Effectively, for every three Copper deposits found, you should find two Tin deposits. This is obviously not the case, so should this be considered as a fairly major bug in the game?

@ApacheTech - not necessarily. For starters, are the wiki numbers even up to date? Perhaps the defaults got changed since the time that page was written. You'll have to check the config file of a world created in the current version to make sure.

Also, there is still the requirement for the right stone. If you're exploring a claystone area, you could set the chance for surface tin to 100% per chunk, and you would still find nothing. Only very few stone types allow cassiterite.

Edited by Streetwind

Apache was a bit off on the numbers there - it's .007 tries per chunk for tin, vs .2 for surface copper.  So 1/28th the tries of surface copper.   Surface ores don't have ore maps to the best of my knowledge (which is why the propick won't detect them), they're just uniformly distributed.  However, as streetwind mentioned, surface tin is limited to only 6 types of stone, which is half the number that surface copper spawns in (surface copper spawns in any except limestone).

Then the Wiki is wrong, and needs to be updated. Considering there is no information in game about any of this, the wiki should be kept accurate at all times.

• /worldconfig surfaceCopperDeposits [0-5]
    Set chance of surface copper spawning for each chunk column (default: 0.1)
  • /worldconfig surfaceTinDeposits [0-5]
    Set chance of surface tin spawning for each chunk column (default: 0.07)

Edited by ApacheTech

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.