Constant Drifter Sound Effects

ApacheTech

Sound Effects Bug:

When stood in the third story of a full enclosed building, over 20 blocks above ground level, the noise from the drifters spawning in the caves 30+ blocks below the building is still plainly audible, and as loud as it would be if the Drifters were in the same room. This causes an incessant white-noise when playing which is nigh-on impossible to get away from while in the vicinity of the build. I believe this to be a bug, or at the least, an oversight. There is currently no efficient way to light up caves, or surrounding area to stop the spawning, so means even during daytime hours, drifters still spawn, and are insanely loud, considering they are over 50 blocks away, in a sealed cave, through multiple layers of rock, gravel, grass, and wood. I shouldn't be able to hear them at all.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Find an underground cave.
2. Light up the surrounding surface area (in my case, a building), to dissuade spawning in the immediate area.
3. Stay in the area through a few day cycles.

Expected Results:

• Groaning during the night from surface drifters that spawn and wander into the lit up area, but then leave in the morning.
 • Other than that, silence.

Actual results:

• Groaning during the night from surface drifters that spawn and wander into the lit up area, but then leave in the morning.
 • Loud, incessant, relentless groaning from the caves below ground.

Potential Fixes:

• When in an enclosed area, such as a building, with the doors closed, drifter noises from outside should be muted.
 • Drifters within underground caves should be muted when players are on the surface above.

Preferred Additional Fix to the wider problem:

• Include an ability to adjust/mute the volume of hostile mobs within the Sound Options of the game (bringing in the option to adjust/mute passive mobs, neutral mobs,  weather, echo chambers, and block interaction sfx).

Why this is a bug/oversight:

• There is currently no possible way to get away from the constant white-noise of these drifters. It's insufferable, and destroys the playability of the game. There is no way that the sound should penetrate through the ground like this, and there is no way to stop it short of overwriting the drifter sound effect files of the game with silent OGG files.

Edited by ApacheTech
  • Like 3

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have been playing this game for 70 hours over the past couple weeks and I can tell you...it's still obnoxious.  I am at least 30-40 blocks away from the underground cave and the moaning never stops.  It's getting on my nerve.

They also tend to spawn in group of 4-6 and the frequency of their moaning is so high it's ridiculous.

This needs to be fixed for sure.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.