Primitive Survival

Spear and Fang

4 hours ago, Pamela Wild said:

Does this mod work in the new pre-releases?

Hi Pamela,

I've done only limited testing with 1.15.3 and the only issue I found was that wooden lanterns for the new wood types were...odd.  Not game-breaking, just not displaying properly.

I'd like to think that other than that the mod would work ok with the 1.15 releases, as I've built it to be fairly resilient and it survived the transition from 1.12 -> 1.13 -> 1.14 quite nicely.

Having said that, I'm finishing up some last minute changes this week for the new release, and will be doing a lot of testing with the latest 1.15 release next week, so expect to see a brand new version in about 10 days.

14 minutes ago, Spear and Fang said:

Hi Pamela,

I've done only limited testing with 1.15.3 and the only issue I found was that wooden lanterns for the new wood types were...odd.  Not game-breaking, just not displaying properly.

I'd like to think that other than that the mod would work ok with the 1.15 releases, as I've built it to be fairly resilient and it survived the transition from 1.12 -> 1.13 -> 1.14 quite nicely.

Having said that, I'm finishing up some last minute changes this week for the new release, and will be doing a lot of testing with the latest 1.15 release next week, so expect to see a brand new version in about 10 days.

I put it in my game and it seems to be working fine on pre-6. Have not used wooden lanterns, so shouldn't be a problem for me at this point.

It's a GREAT mod and I really enjoy it!!

For anyone who's feeling brave/bold, here's the pre-release of the next version.  I'm going to test it over the next week or so and then release something official.

PrimitiveSurvival-2.5.7-unofficial.zip

What to expect - nothing terribly exciting:

Version 2.5.7 Updates - testing performed under v1.15.0-pre.3 (unstable)

• New: Common configuration file ..\VintagestoryData\ModConfig\primitivesurvival.json to configure raft speed, prevent altars from dropping gold, customize traps and fishing - thanks @techrabbit, @Quixjote
  • New: Fish chunk depletion/repletion, thanks @Gox
  • New: Filleting fish sometimes drops fish eggs, either raw or ovulated. They can be eaten raw, cooked, or salted to make caviar. Ovulated eggs can be thrown into water to replete fish stocks in that chunk.
  • New: Slippery fish are back, but a lot less slippery. If they land in water, they will immediately escape and replete the chunk.
  • New: Fish can be thrown in water to replete the chunk. Might make sense for smaller fish (release and catch something bigger).
  • New: Fish eggs can be used as bait.
  • New: Decreased default raft speed
  • New: Polish translation courtesy of @qexow!
  • New: Refactored code/leveraged Capsup's VS Mod Template: https://gitlab.com/vsmods-public/foundation/vsmodtemplate - - Thanks @Capsup!
  • New: Right click pick up raft - thanks @PapaCheddar
  • New: fish fillets as bait for traps and fishing - thanks Ketrai
  • New: more sound effects for fish traps and raft
  • New: Added blood block/portion - creative only item for now, intended for worldgen
  • New: Bald cypress, Larch, Redwood, Ebony, Walnut, Purpleheart wood lantern Variants
  • Fixed: Bug in German language file - thanks @Kiava
  • Fixed: Raft not always reverting to default orientation (raft-north) when you break it - Thanks @Gox
  • Fixed: fishing hooks, lures, nails, spikes dont smelt back into the original materials but some sub labeled material... (and wont stack with actual metal) - thanks @TechRabbit
  • Fixed: changed POI on pit traps like I did to snares/deadfalls to eliminate the farm life conflict - thanks Thranos!
  • Fixed: Reworked lantern recipe so handbook links would function correctly
  • Tweak: Chunk system not unloading the fishing trap block entities correctly - fixed MAYBE? - thanks @Capsup
  • Tweak: Different fish stack sizes - catfish = 16, bass,bluegill,mutated = 64, the rest = 32. Thanks @l33tmaan
  • Tweak: Double the monkey bridge recipe output (yet again) - thanks @Quixote
  • Tweak: Reworked fillets/fish jerky because fillet satiety in meals too low, fish jerky satiety too low - thanks @l33tmaan, others
  • Tweak: Changed mold descriptions to like Raw blah blah instead of blah blah (Raw) as per game molds
Edited by Spear and Fang
  • Like 1
  • Amazing! 1

I made some changes to the pre-release, as outlined below (mostly for my own reference) - Testing under 1.15.0-pre.6 unstable:

• New: Added chisel -> metal bits grid recipes for hooks, lures, nails, spikes, and bed-o-nails (but not metal bucket handles or metal buckets).
  • New: Added new wood types to raft recipe
  • New: Default raft speed modifier from 0.5 -> 0.2  wth? 
  • Fixed: Recipes for new lantern wood types
  • New: Added raft recipes for new wood types
  • Fixed: Eating fish eggs/caviar was a bit of a hot mess

PrimitiveSurvival-2.5.7-unofficial2.zip

Edited by Spear and Fang

Greetings!
I've used the mod in single player world and loved it! Functionality is great, and fits into the VS world beautifully. Thoroughly enjoyed it!

On my Wilderlands server I have a pretty solid policy of not adding any mods that add new blocks to the game unless it is to fill a significant void in game mechanics.  This is one of the few mods I would consider adding to the server, but for one thing:  In my experience, it is very overpowered.  I could catch rabbits like mad, and fish were guaranteed almost every time, at least on trot-lines.  Fish traps felt more balanced, as I recall.  Trot-lines needed balancing, as I've read others remarks to the same effect, as do snares in my opinion.

It has been nearly 5 or 6 months since I last used the mod, and wanted to ask if such things had been addressed perhaps? And if not, will they be in the coming versions of the mod?  I want to float the idea to my community of adding the mod to our world, but either it needs to be balanced or there needs to be a config file that allows for tweaking the success rate of traps and trot-lines and such.

Don't take any of this as a criticism. It is fabulous work, it just makes things too easy for what we are looking for on our server.  Rabbit snares should not be the best option for staying supplied with meat and leather, fishing tackle should degrade and sometimes break off, and fish should sometimes be harder to catch and easier to lose if not picked up quickly after being caught.  Maybe tie catch rate to the phase of the moon or to weather or something.  That would be fun, having to pay attention to the game world and discern best times to put out a line. ;)

Humbly submitted...
~TH~

[Edit]: Just saw the notice that in a coming release, all that will be customizable. Well, the fishing at least.  Good to hear!

Edited by Thalius

2 hours ago, Thalius said:

Greetings!
I've used the mod in single player world and loved it! Functionality is great, and fits into the VS world beautifully. Thoroughly enjoyed it!

On my Wilderlands server I have a pretty solid policy of not adding any mods that add new blocks to the game unless it is to fill a significant void in game mechanics.  This is one of the few mods I would consider adding to the server, but for one thing:  In my experience, it is very overpowered.  I could catch rabbits like mad, and fish were guaranteed almost every time, at least on trot-lines.  Fish traps felt more balanced, as I recall.  Trot-lines needed balancing, as I've read others remarks to the same effect, as do snares in my opinion.

It has been nearly 5 or 6 months since I last used the mod, and wanted to ask if such things had been addressed perhaps? And if not, will they be in the coming versions of the mod?  I want to float the idea to my community of adding the mod to our world, but either it needs to be balanced or there needs to be a config file that allows for tweaking the success rate of traps and trot-lines and such.

Don't take any of this as a criticism. It is fabulous work, it just makes things too easy for what we are looking for on our server.  Rabbit snares should not be the best option for staying supplied with meat and leather, fishing tackle should degrade and sometimes break off, and fish should sometimes be harder to catch and easier to lose if not picked up quickly after being caught.  Maybe tie catch rate to the phase of the moon or to weather or something.  That would be fun, having to pay attention to the game world and discern best times to put out a line. ;)

Humbly submitted...
~TH~

[Edit]: Just saw the notice that in a coming release, all that will be customizable. Well, the fishing at least.  Good to hear!

Thank you for the kind words and the valuable feedback!  I have indeed made fishing highly customizable and I believe that any concerns you've had in the past related to that have been addressed (although finding the *best* settings for your world might be a bit of a challenge) .   The chunk based depletion/repletion system will help a lot, as will the reintroduction of slippery fish and their ability to immediately escape.

Traps are a different story entirely and are a little harder to reign in because they're simply blocks that damage entities that collide with them, so they depend mostly on what's going on in the surrounding area.  An entity would rarely collide with an unbaited trap, and almost always collide with a baited trap because a baited trap is simply a point of interest (like a trough full of food, except that all entities are attracted to it).  They seem to be either highly effective or highly ineffective, depending upon what creatures are normally spawning in that area (I'm looking at you, butterflies!).

I have added a few customizations for each of the trap types, so simply decreasing the maximum amount of damage they inflict *may* be enough to help balance that out.  I'll give some thought into adding a (configurable) percentage chance that bait can be stolen from traps as well.  That may really help out with their effectiveness.

I will elaborate on some of these configuration settings soon, and others are pretty self explanatory.

"AltarDropsGold": true,
  "DeadfallMaxAnimalHeight": 0.7,
  "DeadfallMaxDamageSet": 10,
  "DeadfallMaxDamageBaited": 20,
  "FallDamageMultiplierWoodSpikes": 25,
  "FallDamageMultiplierMetalSpikes": 80,
  "FishBasketCatchPercent": 5,
  "FishBasketBaitedCatchPercent": 10,
  "FishBasketBaitStolenPercent": 5,
  "FishBasketEscapePercent": 15,
  "FishBasketUpdateMinutes": 2.2,
  "FishBasketRotRemovedPercent": 10,
  "FishChanceOfEggs": 20,
  "FishChunkDepletionRate": 5,
  "FishChunkRepletionRate": 1,
  "FishEggsRepletionRate": 10,
  "FishRepletionMinutes": 15,
  "FishChunkMaxDepletionPercent": 95,
  "LimbTrotlineCatchPercent": 5,
  "LimbTrotlineBaitedCatchPercent": 10,
  "LimbTrotlineLuredCatchPercent": 10,
  "LimbTrotlineBaitedLuredCatchPercent": 15,
  "LimbTrotlineBaitStolenPercent": 5,
  "LimbTrotlineUpdateMinutes": 2.4,
  "LimbTrotlineRotRemovedPercent": 10,
  "RaftWaterSpeedModifier": 0.2,
  "RaftFlotationModifier": 0.03,
  "SnareMaxAnimalHeight": 0.8,
  "SnareMaxDamageSet": 12,
  "SnareMaxDamageBaited": 24,
  "WeirTrapCatchPercent": 5,
  "WeirTrapEscapePercent": 10,
  "WeirTrapUpdateMinutes": 2.6,
  "WeirTrapRotRemovedPercent": 10,
  "WormFoundPercentRock": 6,
  "WormFoundPercentStickFlint": 16

Edited by Spear and Fang
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Spear and Fang said:

Thank you for the kind words and the valuable feedback!  I have indeed made fishing highly customizable and I believe that any concerns you've had in the past related to that have been addressed (although finding the *best* settings for your world might be a bit of a challenge) .   The chunk based depletion/repletion system will help a lot, as will the reintroduction of slippery fish and their ability to immediately escape.

Traps are a different story entirely and are a little harder to reign in because they're simply blocks that damage entities that collide with them, so they depend mostly on what's going on in the surrounding area.  An entity would rarely collide with an unbaited trap, and almost always collide with a baited trap because a baited trap is simply a point of interest (like a trough full of food, except that all entities are attracted to it).  They seem to be either highly effective or highly ineffective, depending upon what creatures are normally spawning in that area (I'm looking at you, butterflies!).

I have added a few customizations for each of the trap types, so simply decreasing the maximum amount of damage they inflict *may* be enough to help balance that out.  I'll give some thought into adding a (configurable) percentage chance that bait can be stolen from traps as well.  That may really help out with their effectiveness.

I will elaborate on some of these configuration settings soon, and others are pretty self explanatory.

This might seem like a simple question, but I'm not sure how to "customize" this mod, or any others for that matter...LOL!  Can you give me some instructions??

2 hours ago, Spear and Fang said:

I figured that was the way it worked, and explained so to some of our server members who also had questions and concerns about overpowered snare mechanics on the server.

My thought and question would be, is there a way to add a "chance" attribute to snares activating/dropping when an entity touches them?

I know that soil instability has to have something like this attached to sideways instability. Not all soil blocks slide sideways and collapse when digging, which means that in some way there is a chance attached to them that they will not slide when a block is broken next to them.  If a similar chance attribute could be attached to snares, then they could be configured to drop at a set rate, which could solve the issue for those that would like a less effective snare chance.

For example: If a snare had a 20% chance of dropping/activating when touched, this would mean only one in five rabbits that came to the snare would be caught. The rest would get a free meal and get away, and the player would come back to an snare that has been un-tripped and robbed of bait.  Make this configurable, and the chance of catching a rabbit is determined by the snare chance config setting set by the player, and the rabbit population where the snares are set.

On 6/25/2021 at 10:20 AM, Pamela Wild said:

This might seem like a simple question, but I'm not sure how to "customize" this mod, or any others for that matter...LOL!  Can you give me some instructions??

Hi Pamela,

For Windows, you'll have a folder up one level from your mods folder called ModConfig i.e.

C:\Users\<userid>\AppData\Roaming\VintagestoryData\ModConfig

In that folder you should see several .json files, and maybe some folders (depending on which mods you have installed).  The names of the files/folders will be a dead giveaway as to which mod they belong to.  You can edit those json files with your favorite text editor (notepad?), since they are really just text files. 

A few caveats - don't change the overall structure of the files or remove or add rows, only change the assigned values.   i.e.  You could change a true to a false, or an integer to a different integer, or a decimal to a different decimal.  For example, a number like 0.3 could be changed to 0.5 or 1.0, but don't change it to .5 or 1 - keep the overall "look" of the number the same.  Likewise, don't change a number like 5 to 5.5 or 6.0, it's probably expecting a whole number like 6.

If things go awry, you could delete the file completely, and the next time you start the game the file will be recreated in that same location with the original (default) values.

Edited by Spear and Fang

On 6/25/2021 at 10:51 AM, Thalius said:

I figured that was the way it worked, and explained so to some of our server members who also had questions and concerns about overpowered snare mechanics on the server.

My thought and question would be, is there a way to add a "chance" attribute to snares activating/dropping when an entity touches them?

I know that soil instability has to have something like this attached to sideways instability. Not all soil blocks slide sideways and collapse when digging, which means that in some way there is a chance attached to them that they will not slide when a block is broken next to them.  If a similar chance attribute could be attached to snares, then they could be configured to drop at a set rate, which could solve the issue for those that would like a less effective snare chance.

For example: If a snare had a 20% chance of dropping/activating when touched, this would mean only one in five rabbits that came to the snare would be caught. The rest would get a free meal and get away, and the player would come back to an snare that has been un-tripped and robbed of bait.  Make this configurable, and the chance of catching a rabbit is determined by the snare chance config setting set by the player, and the rabbit population where the snares are set.

Yes, that sounds even better (less performance intensive) than adding a listener - just adding more possibilities of what happens when an entity collides with a trap.  I'm on it - thanks again!

11 hours ago, Spear and Fang said:

Hi Pamela,

For Windows, you'll have a folder up one level from your mods folder called ModConfig i.e.

C:\Users\<userid>\AppData\Roaming\VintagestoryData\ModConfig

In that folder you should see several .json files, and maybe some folders (depending on which mods you have installed).  The names of the files/folders will be a dead giveaway as to which mod they belong to.  You can edit those json files with your favorite text editor (notepad?), since they are really just text files. 

A few caveats - don't change the overall structure of the files or remove or add rows, only change the assigned values.   i.e.  You could change a true to a false, or an integer to a different integer, or a decimal to a different decimal.  For example, a number like 0.3 could be changed to 0.5 or 1.0, but don't change it to .5 or 1 - keep the overall "look" of the number the same.  Likewise, don't change a number like 5 to 5.5 or 6.0, it's probably expecting a whole number like 6.

If things go awry, you could delete the file completely, and the next time you start the game the file will be recreated in that same location with the original (default) values.

Thanks.  Not sure if I will use it, but it's nice to know how if I want to...LOL!!

New version. Bump!  See original post for more info.

• New: Switched lure, hook, and spike plate molds to the 1.15 pit kiln method
  • New: Added chisel -> metal bits grid recipes for hooks, lures, and bed-o-nails (but not metal bucket handles or metal buckets).
  • New: Added new wood types to raft recipe
  • New: Common configuration file ..\VintagestoryData\ModConfig\primitivesurvival.json to configure raft speed, prevent altars from dropping gold, customize traps and fishing, and more - thanks @Tech_Rabbit @Quixjote 
  • New: Fish chunk depletion/repletion, thanks @goxmeor
  • New: Filleting fish sometimes drops fish eggs, either raw or ovulated. They can be eaten raw, cooked, or salted to make caviar. Ovulated eggs can be thrown into water to replete fish stocks in that chunk.
  • New: Slippery fish are back, but a lot less slippery. If they land in water, they will immediately escape and replete the chunk.
  • New: Fish can be thrown in water to replete the chunk. Might make sense for smaller fish (release and catch something bigger).
  • New: Fish eggs can be used as bait.
  • New: Decreased default raft speed
  • New: Polish translation courtesy of @qexow
  • New: Refactored code/leveraged Capsup's VS Mod Template: https://gitlab.com/vsmods-public/foundation/vsmodtemplate - - Thanks @Capsup
  • New: Right click pick up raft - thanks @Papa Cheddar
  • New: fish fillets as bait for traps and fishing - thanks @Ketrai
  • New: more sound effects for fish traps and raft
  • New: Added blood block/portion - creative only item for now, intended for worldgen
  • New: Bald cypress, Larch, Redwood, Ebony, Walnut, Purpleheart wood lantern Variants
  • Fixed: Bug in German language file - thanks @Kiava
  • Fixed: Raft not always reverting to default orientation (raft-north) when you break it - Thanks @goxmeor
  • Fixed: changed POI on pit traps like I did to snares/deadfalls to eliminate the farm life conflict - thanks @Thranos
  • Fixed: Reworked lantern recipe so handbook links would function correctly
  • Fixed: fishing hooks and lures dont smelt back into the original materials but some sub labeled material... (and wont stack with actual metal) - thanks @Tech_Rabbit. Note: This does not apply to the 1.15 releases at all (because of metal bits).
  • Tweak: Added a couple of new configurable behaviors to traps (bait stolen and tripped) to make them less effective (if that's desirable) - thanks @Thalius
  • Tweak: Made it so butterflies can not trip deadfalls, snares, and pit traps
  • Tweak: Made deadfall and snare traps easier to tear down
  • Tweak: Removed Nails and Spikes and everything related to those unused blocks
  • Tweak: Chunk system not unloading the fishing trap block entities correctly - fixed MAYBE? - thanks @Capsup
  • Tweak: Different fish stack sizes - catfish = 16, bass,bluegill,mutated = 64, the rest = 32. Thanks @l33tmaan
  • Tweak: Double the monkey bridge recipe output (yet again) - thanks @Quixjote
  • Tweak: Reworked fillets/fish jerky because fillet satiety in meals too low, fish jerky satiety too low - thanks @l33tmaan, others
  • Tweak: Changed mold descriptions to like Raw blah blah instead of blah blah (Raw) as per game molds
Edited by Spear and Fang
  • Like 2
  • Amazing! 1
  • Thanks 1

I've noticed that gathering a fish from a hook while already having that type of fish in my hotbar will sometimes duplicate the fish, placing one in my free hand and one in a stack with the fish I already had. I'm playing on v2.5.6 and my Vintage Story version is v1.14.10.

23 hours ago, Heyoceama said:

I've noticed that gathering a fish from a hook while already having that type of fish in my hotbar will sometimes duplicate the fish, placing one in my free hand and one in a stack with the fish I already had. I'm playing on v2.5.6 and my Vintage Story version is v1.14.10.

Thanks for the report!  I'll see if I can recreate that and sort it out.

quick warning, don't try to cook raw fish eggs til Spear and Fang can work a fix for it; it snuffed my fire and lagged out my game; I sent them the logs so hopefully it can be an easy fix :)

(1.15 pre12 tho it could affect more than that version

• Like 1

Hi there!

This mod doesn't seem to work for me. It appears in the mod menu, it's ticked, but once the world is loaded i can't access any of its stuff. The guide is even not there. I also tried in a newly created world, in creative this time, but it didn't work either. I'm on linux, VS 1.14.10. Thanks for your help!

34 minutes ago, Lid said:

Hi there!

This mod doesn't seem to work for me. It appears in the mod menu, it's ticked, but once the world is loaded i can't access any of its stuff. The guide is even not there. I also tried in a newly created world, in creative this time, but it didn't work either. I'm on linux, VS 1.14.10. Thanks for your help!

You downloaded Primitive Survival v2.5.6, left it zipped, and placed it in your Vintagestorydata/mods folder, correct?  Your logs\server-main.txt  probably says why it's not loading, so if I could get a look at that file...

Edited by Spear and Fang

Thanks for your answer!

I checked the log and found the error: i made a folder in the Mod one to put some backups of the mods, and apparently the game was reading it too, which resulted in conflicts. Once i moved the culprit, it now shows correctly!

Since all mods i saw were only zip, i assumed creating a folder wouldn't harm. I was wrong. Thank you for your help, i never noticed the log! I have problems with other mods, i'll check if it's the same cause.

• Cookie time 1

16 hours ago, Lisabet said:

quick warning, don't try to cook raw fish eggs til Spear and Fang can work a fix for it; it snuffed my fire and lagged out my game; I sent them the logs so hopefully it can be an easy fix :)

(1.15 pre12 tho it could affect more than that version

Thanks again Lisabet.  With all of your hard work, you should be given the "official VS bug finder" title!  Most of my testing was done on pre10 and earlier versions, so I'm beginning to think that there was a serious change in pre12.  I'll test tonight and see what happens.

Edited by Spear and Fang
  • Haha 1
  • Cookie time 1

Bump: See original post for download.

Version 2.6.1 Updates - testing performed under v1.15.0-pre.12 (unstable)

• Tweak: Minor change to slippery fish to hopefully make it more predictable (spawnitementity)
  • Fix: Cooking fish eggs death loop fixed - Once again, many thanks @Lisabet
Edited by Spear and Fang
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Spear and Fang said:

Bump: See original post for download.

Version 2.6.1 Updates - testing performed under v1.15.0-pre.12 (unstable)

• Tweak: Minor change to slippery fish to hopefully make it more predictable (spawnitementity)
  • Fix: Cooking fish eggs death loop fixed - Once again, many thanks @Lisabet

Chrome is blocking the download.

@Pamela Wild

Yeah I commented on that right next to the download.  It's not my mod, it's EVERY mod on the forums, and it's intermittent.  Maybe use a different browser like Firefox or Edge, or wait a while.  This exact same thing happened a few days ago and I reported it to Tyron.  He started an investigation but I don't think he could figure out what was going on.

I mean, it *looks* like Chrome security is just getting beefier, but I could be wrong.  The forum host (Amazon aws) doesn't have a great track record security-wise, so it could be related to that.

Edited by Spear and Fang

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.