Primitive Survival

Spear and Fang

@Ashielet al.

New version up.  Laundry list of changes (and along with that, probably some new bugs).  Tested with ozBillo's bushmeat mod, so you should be good to go!

• New: fish fillet functionality for better inventory management/cooking - new item, new recipe, added to soup/stew recipes.
  • New: basic taxidermy - place pelts on the floor for rugs. Made them a little derpy to reduce z-fighting issues with large ones. Might need a better long term solution.
  • Updated: jerky, mushrooms, bread, poultry, pickled vegetables, red meat, bushmeat, and cheese to accepted bait types for snares, deadfalls, trot lines, limblines, and fish baskets.
  • Updated: 3rd person handheld fish so they're more like holding a lantern than a club. Changed 1st person to match somewhat.
  • Updated: Remove rotten fish occasionally from hooks and other fishing traps - they tend to pile up, especially on multiplayer.
  • Updated: Investigated fishing in general and made some minor changes to catch percentages.
  • Updated: Made deadfall and snare trap slightly more effective to hopefully scare off larger animals.
  • Fixed: some minor z-fighting issues with fish.
  • Fixed: (More than likely) intermittent weir trap crash - prevented collisions from unsetting trap AND prevented the sneak-click from recreating trap if it was already a weir trap.
  • Fixed: Removed giant weird shadow from deadfall and fish basket on land.
  • Fixed fish in soup/stew recipes now rendering properly in pots and bowls.
  • Fixed: Removed shapeless from monkey bridge grid recipe so it would pull items from the correct slots.
  • Verified: Logic around relics in fish traps (i.e. gears) - seems to be aok.
  • Verified: ozBillo's bushmeat mod together with this mod - seems good.

Fish Fillet...

fishfillet.png.ff0a8a73358cc5e886ab3969051cb085.png

Pelts as carpets...

pelt1.jpg.454ca26388f7c790e4bf00994686644b.jpg

Edited by Spear and Fang
  • Like 4

I didn't realize that the small pelt had been disabled in vanilla recently.  If  you're anxious to place small pelts on the floor before the next release, you *could* add this oiledhide.json file to the latest release.  Put it in the zipped file in this folder:

assets\primitivesurvival\patches

oiledhide.json

Apologies!

2 hours ago, LocoMiner said:

Does Throw your pelts on the floor or roof or wherever to liven up your abode work? I made a pelt and thrown it. Right click, shift right click. Nothing. Playing on vs 3 4. Thx

That was added to the latest release of my mod only, so I want to say no, not on vs 3.4. I made this separate mod for someone the other day, so you *could* try it @LocoMiner

pelts1.0.0.zip

Edited by Spear and Fang

Primitive Survival - New Years Russian Earthworm Edition

Thanks @ZigTheHedge for the Russian translation. You're the best!

New: Find some Earthworms in the wild or under rocks and branches and put them to good use. They'll aerate and fertilize your farmland or "generate" some premium worm castings for fertilizer. Eat them raw for a quick protein boost, or bait your fishing hooks and baskets and catch yourself a fish!

Bump.

• Like 1
  • Cookie time 1
  • Amazing! 1

Just now, l33tmaan said:

This is seriously the best mod for this game there is. It's so amazing that I hope it all gets integrated into the base game to some degree, because I couldn't imagine playing without it at this point. The functionality is superb.

Gosh thanks!  I too hope some of these ideas make it into the base game, ideally after a more talented coder with a fresh set of eyes gives it some much needed polish!

4 hours ago, LocoMiner said:

I love this mod. I saw the email with the update and turned off vs to download it.

I did notice fish cant be cured "salted". Any Thoughts on making this a possibility?

thank you

Why thank you!  Cured (salted) fish would be quite easy to implement.  Not sure if it would be used a lot, as salt is pretty hard to find right now in Vanilla.  I'll keep it in mind though.

I'm currently mulling over the idea of implementing a "hole smoker" or "pit smoker".  Perhaps a mechanic similar to the charcoal pit but allowing you to smoke all your fish, meat, and cheese.  It sounds like something that would fit the primitive theme quite nicely.  I'm also hoping the addition of earthworms goes over well.  If so, I'd like to tackle another entity, perhaps something with a little bite (like a snake), or an actual fish swimming around (purely for aesthetics, like the butterfly) to liven up the game a bit more.

I also want to focus some time on "the things that shall not be named", since I've already added a bunch of content related to that but have yet to bring it in to the survival game.  So many plans, so little time.  :(

• Like 1

I like your idea better. I made so many fish traps in the start of the game I have too many fish. I was thinking of winter storage.

I think this may be a bug the animal pelts only can be placed on dirt or at least not on cobble or ruins blocks. My house floor isnt dirt. I think this why I thought it wasnt working earlier

Edited by LocoMiner

18 minutes ago, LocoMiner said:

I think this may be a bug the animal pelts only can be placed on dirt or at least not on cobble or ruins blocks. My house floor isnt dirt. I think this why I thought it wasnt working earlier

Oh lawd, you're right!  I wonder what happened there since it was working (my screenshots were of pelts on claystone and cobble).  I'll get that sorted out asap.  Thanks for the heads up.

Love your mod, Spear and Fang.

Unfortunately, the earthworms update seems to have caused some major issues on our small private server. We got some crazy lag after updating the mod, like the server couldn't process what was happening anymore.
We tried the update both in our already running game and also in a newly generated game and had this problem in both cases.
Here's a look at the log for you: 

Spoiler

3.1.2021 10:59:36 [Fatal] System.Exception: Don't know how to instantiate entity of type entityearthworm did you forget to register a mapping?
at Vintagestory.Common.ClassRegistry.CreateEntity (System.String className) [0x000aa] in <6dd462367a7f48cda76709e020ce2d8e>:0
at Vintagestory.Common.ClassRegistryAPI.CreateEntity (Vintagestory.API.Common.Entities.EntityProperties entityType) [0x00000] in <6dd462367a7f48cda76709e020ce2d8e>:0
at Vintagestory.Server.ServerSystemEntitySpawner.DoSpawn (Vintagestory.API.Common.Entities.EntityProperties entityType, Vintagestory.API.MathTools.Vec3d spawnPosition, System.Int64 herdid) [0x00010] in <6dd462367a7f48cda76709e020ce2d8e>:0
at Vintagestory.Server.ServerSystemEntitySpawner.TrySpawnSomethingAt (Vintagestory.API.MathTools.Vec3d startSpawnPosition) [0x00388] in <6dd462367a7f48cda76709e020ce2d8e>:0
at Vintagestory.Server.ServerSystemEntitySpawner.TrySpawnMobs (System.Single dt) [0x00194] in <6dd462367a7f48cda76709e020ce2d8e>:0
at Vintagestory.Common.EventManager.TriggerGameTick (System.Int64 ellapsedMilliseconds, Vintagestory.API.Common.IWorldAccessor world) [0x000d3] in <6dd462367a7f48cda76709e020ce2d8e>:0
at Vintagestory.Server.CoreServerEventManager.TriggerGameTick (System.Int64 ellapsedMilliseconds, Vintagestory.API.Common.IWorldAccessor world) [0x00000] in <6dd462367a7f48cda76709e020ce2d8e>:0
at Vintagestory.Server.ServerMain.Process () [0x001f4] in <6dd462367a7f48cda76709e020ce2d8e>:0

I don't know if there's anything to be done about this from your end but I thought I'd also post here as a warning for anyone else running a server. 

3 hours ago, Monahven said:

We got some crazy lag after updating the mod, like the server couldn't process what was happening anymore.

If anyone else is experiencing a similar problem in multiplayer, please let me know! 

I really need to know if this is a one-off or not before I do an even deeper dive.

On 1/3/2021 at 8:40 PM, Spear and Fang said:

If anyone else is experiencing a similar problem in multiplayer, please let me know! 

I really need to know if this is a one-off or not before I do an even deeper dive.

Yep. Definitely happening on our server too. We are running 2.5.2 on VS 1.14.5. Ran "/debug logticks 100" for a while and got the end of this file for the results.

server-main.txt

4 hours ago, Vallen said:

Yep. Definitely happening on our server too. We are running 2.5.2 on VS 1.14.5. Ran "/debug logticks 100" for a while and got the end of this file for the results.

server-main.txt 1.34 MB · 5 downloads

Thanks so much for this Vallen...I have been working on this, and appreciate the additional info!

• Like 1

@Lotan @Greylocke Although you might come across them in the wild, the absolute fastest way to collect earthworms is to run around picking up rocks and sticks.  Like right click picking them up, NOT breaking them and then picking them up.  Focus on sticks and flint on the ground in particular, the odds are much better in those cases.  Picking up regular stones should provide some returns, although much less.  Every single time I've tested (focusing my efforts entirely on finding worms), I've been able to find 15-20 in an hour.

They are also susceptible to extreme temperatures, so make sure it's between 0-35C at the time.

Edited by Spear and Fang
  • Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.