Primitive Survival

Spear and Fang

55 minutes ago, Bentorium said:

Hello

Excellent mod must say keep up the good work.

Just asking if there is plans to add Tailoring / Leather working / Carpentry skills in future?

Br. 

Bentorium

Thanks Bentorium!

None of those things, sorry. My roadmap is pretty loosey goosey, but since I'm trying to implement at least one of every "system", my future plans include (1) a smoker (so I can try my hand at something with a gui) and (2) more of the "things that shall not be named" (so I can familiarize myself with worldgen and new ruins).

I also have some fairly immersive bridge building on my radar, which *might* fall into the "carpentry" category.

Edited by Spear and Fang
  • Like 1

Barring new ruins (which sound really cool, but might be difficult to implement), have you considered new, simple systems for the Things That Shall Not Be Named?

Spoiler

Instead of sacrificing health to receive things that are usually easy to get (food) and gold (overpowered), why not actual sacrifices? Each god could have several options of what they like as sacrifices, and what they give in return. For example, hydra could take sacrifices of fish, and give random treasures in return (spoils of the sea). I could see that as a way to turn renewable resources into non-renewable resources, without getting the excessive amount of gold we currently get.

There's probably multiple ways this could be done, and I'm sure there's many more difficulties to overcome, but it would create a great, unique aspect to the Thing statues.

Edited by Hexedian

The new ruins are suprisingly easy to implement (especially at this point, since I've already created new blocks to design them, and have learned how to spawn them in during world gen) The hang ups at this point has been getting my creative juices flowing to build some interesting and unique looking temples, time management, and the fact that very few people have been able to figure out how to even sort out the details surrounding the much simpler altar (that's my bad I guess).

Spoiler

I agree that the current functionality of the altars is less than ideal.  I was thinking of them as a sort of simple, less than impressive, mob farming mechanism to generate a bit of interest and make the player want to advance them to a full blown temple situation.  The drops can easily be tweaked at any point.  I definitely want live sacrifices to be a part of a ritual performed at at least one of the temple types.  This game seriously needs blood and blood splatter for full effect.  :)  I guess I'll have to work on that too.  Ideally some new mobs will be introduced as well, but THAT will be a daunting task for sure.

Anyways, thanks for the interest and feedback @Hexedian, it's certainly got me thinking about refocusing my efforts on this long neglected part of the mod again!

Edited by Spear and Fang

8 hours ago, ArtofWASD said:

Does it matter what kind of material your hooks and lures are made of?

At the moment it doesn't matter, I suggest knapping hooks since it's cheaper and saves wear on tools. Also if the author does change things so that material matters you aren't out anything more than a bit of stone or flint.

• Like 1

I'm not gonna be rude and derail someone else's thread, so I'll repost what I wrote over there:

8 hours ago, Aanika VII said:

So love the game so far and I know its in very early stages but I just wanted to point out some things that me and my friend group feel are off.

1. Fish. catching flattening and cooking fish seems off. once cooked you get less saturation from a flattened fish filet than you do from a berry. Fish is a very healthy meal and IMO fish should take longer to catch and reflect that its very healthy and good to eat XD

As someone who's more intimate with Primitive Survival's fish fillets than anyone has any right to be... yeah. Fish fillets are pretty terrible. I get what @Spear and Fang was trying to do when he made it so fish drop multiple fillets when you chop them up, but 48 saturation per fillet is pretty sad. If I'm at the point where I'd rather eat bushmeat, something's gone a bit wrong.
I would seriously consider altering the fillets so that small fish like Bass drop 1 fillet that's worth at least 100 saturation. Just cut the number of fillets that drop in half and make the saturation comparable to bushmeat. It's really weird that eating a whole fish gives you more saturation than actually preparing it for humanoid consumption. If realism is what's holding you back, make the fish drop fish heads you can cook or turn into compost or something. 

Oh I hear you @l33tmaan!  In trying to maintain some semblance of balance with the vanilla game while at the same time taking advice from way too many people, I've made cooking with fish worse, not better.  At the same time it's a bit unfair to compare a fillet to a berry, because a berry is actually a whole bunch of berries, while a single fish gives you 2,4, or even 8 fillets.  In my mind, the solution at this point is to allow soup and stew recipes to accept way more fillets, so that a fish fillet meal can have much better satiety.  Worth noting that a catfish meal can have pretty impressive satiety.

I personally think that eating the whole fish should give more saturation than just the fillets because you're eating the head, tail, and everything in between.

Edited by Spear and Fang

I just have a weird feeling when I'm making compatible stuff using your fillets and they're just... worse than non-fish variants. It's not a huge deal, but it has stuck out to me before.

I guess my point is that I don't see the value in 2/4/8 fillets that give around 50 saturation as opposed to 1/2/4 fillets that give around 100 saturation, y'know? It would still be worse than other meat types, but it wouldn't be as pitiful as it is now. Like, why start at 2 fillets and not 1? 🤔

EDIT: Actually, the biggest issue I have with fillets? 48 saturation! Why not 50?! 48 isn't divisible by 5! 😝

Edited by l33tmaan

Agreed. I think what I'm going to do is make it so that the fillets just always come in pairs.  Change the display name from fillet to fillets and double the saturation again.  That will make things the way they used to be from a cooking perspective.  Thanks for your input!

Edit: Not change the display name (because that might look weird in the recipes), but change the model so it looks like two fillets.

Edited by Spear and Fang
  • Like 1

I like the idea of going to pairs of fillets with higher saturation and getting fewer of them. (The 1,2,4 per fish as that's realistic since you get different numbers of usable fillets depending on the size of the fish.) It will also lessen the amount of wasted fillets that spoil. In one game day of babysitting my lines and immediately running the fish to a cellar to store them I ended up with a storage vessel full of fish. After cooking, sealing, and storing every meal I could with whole fish (catfish stew with cabbage and soybeans giving a whopping 2000 saturation) I fileted all the leftover fish and ended up with around 60+ fillets that went mostly to waste since I ran out of crocks and veggies to cook with them. Now before anyone uses this as ammunition to say that catching fish is too easy, my setup is a 17 x 7 pool I make with two trotlines running the length of the pool(17 hooks each), 12 fish baskets, and 4 weirs making a total of 50 chances to catch a fish at one time and I still had to spend an entire game day doing nothing but picking up any fish I caught. Long story short..... finally lol.... I side with the fewer but better fillets just from a game play and storage saving option. Next time I feel like arguing with the water physics I think I'll try building a fish pond in a cellar to save myself all the running back and forth.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, I was playing around with the fish and I think it's a bit weird that, if the fish have different nutrition values to represent their sizes, shouldn't they also have different stack sizes? Like keeping catfish at 16, bumping up trout/carp/whatever up to 32, and bluegill/mutants/bass up to 64?

Edited by l33tmaan

Hey now, quit playing around with the fish!  I'm over on discord telling people that I'm pretty much done with fishing as they're proposing even more changes to it.

Kidding aside, that sounds like a reasonably easy fix and a good idea, so I've added it to my to-do list.  Thanks @l33tmaan!

Edited by Spear and Fang
  • Thanks 1

Out of curiosity, do the trotlines, weirs, etc act as containers? Ie, if I were to put a hopper or chute below the active water block would it pull the catch out? I'm working on an idea for a community food center on our server to help our newbies stay fed till they can get themselves settled and stable and I was considering ways to add fish to the available options. If they don't work that way does cellar mechanics have any effect on the decay rate of caught but not gathered fish?

2 hours ago, Papa Cheese said:

Out of curiosity, do the trotlines, weirs, etc act as containers? Ie, if I were to put a hopper or chute below the active water block would it pull the catch out? I'm working on an idea for a community food center on our server to help our newbies stay fed till they can get themselves settled and stable and I was considering ways to add fish to the available options. If they don't work that way does cellar mechanics have any effect on the decay rate of caught but not gathered fish?

I did not know the answer to either of those questions @Papa Cheese, but you had me curious so I tested it out.  The results:

I'm both happy and disappointed to report that no, you cannot use hoppers or chutes to remove fish from any of my traps.  I was quite surprised that this didn't work (because they are all basic inventories much like a chest), and if it did it would have also removed fishing hooks, bait, and lures.  You *might* consider using a similar technique (with chutes/hoppers/chests) to keep troughs full for some livestock (i.e. chickens) so that lots of chickens are readily available for new players.  I've heard that that this trough automation works.

Cellar mechanics do indeed appear to work though, so if you're catching fish in a cellar you can expect them to last a lot longer (maybe twice as long?).

My only other suggestion is to simply have a bunch of trotlines setup, since fish (1) can't escape (2) will rot on the hooks, but will eventually disappear completely, and then (3) will be replaced by more fish.  I'm not sure how effective this would be, but one would expect to always find a mixed bag of raw fish, rotten fish, and no fish on a series of trotlines.  

Edited by Spear and Fang

Thank you for testing this out and giving the answers plus suggestions. 😁 I used the trotlines at a small public workshop in my area but it's rather out of the way for most of the newbies to take advantage of and expected to do it again. Knowing cellar mechanics have an effect is very useful and I honestly never thought to automate feeding troughs so thank you very much for that info. Now to find a good spot to start building and try not to freeze in the process since we just hit winter.🥶

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.