Primitive Survival

Spear and Fang

8 hours ago, Nina Tiels said:

how do you get animal hides you can place down? been trying and all I ever get is small medium and large hides?

You need to prepare them into pelts. Slather some animal fat onto the raw hide and it will cure over time into a pelt. The pelt can be used for crafting or for placing as a rug.

• Like 1

If all you want is fish then trotlines are the best route that I've found. A stake at each end and enough cordage to fill in the water blocks in between. You can run trotlines side by side to take advantage of every water block. If you want shells or the special "not to be named" items as well as fish use weirs and fish baskets but they are much slower. Individual fishing lines can be run but since they are the same materials as a trotline I rarely use them.

Edited by Papa Cheese

I love the fish traps! They have allowed me to survive in places I didn't know I could! I'm about to start making some deadfall traps and setting up some mob capture traps as well

Edited by Fidly
I got two different mods confused lol my bad. ..

5 hours ago, Pamela Wild said:

Where can I find the earthworms?? I've looked and looked, but no luck!!!

It's a little tricky.  Run around and pick up sticks and rocks (especially flint, but other rocks too) that are lying on a grassy surface (namely: soil).  By pick up, you need to actually pick them up (like right click, NOT break them and pick them up).  Also, the temperature needs to be between 0-30C.  

If all those conditions are met, you should find several worms under those sticks and rocks in short order!  

If you're hoping for even more earthworms, take @Quixjote's Richer Than Dirt mod for a spin, which will let you pan up worms o' plenty!
https://mods.vintagestory.at/show/mod/326

Edited by Spear and Fang

1 hour ago, Hexedian said:

Earthworms are actually extremely rare in practice. You might not find any after stacks of sticks and stones picked up. The one place I found a lot of them was in an empty charcoal hole, for some reason.

That's intriguing.  During playtesting I was consistently finding one per real life minute when I focused my efforts entirely on finding earthworms.  In my current survival world, I generally come home with 1/2 dozen every in game day that I'm out exploring (although I'm quickly running out of quality places to look).  I've brought more than 100 home, although they eventually die off or escape.

I'm starting to think that my temperature queries aren't always returning the correct temperature.  I believe that there's a 20% chance of an earthworm being under a stick or piece of flint for example (if the other conditions are met) and a 5% chance with a regular stone.  You'll never find a worm under a stone with minerals (i.e. quartz, copper).

Edited by Spear and Fang

Out of curiosity, do the chances of finding a worm apply to rocks you place as well as naturally generated ones? I was planning on testing that but haven't had the time yet. Just recently finished a community greenhouse/cellar at spawn on the MoM server and I've been catching up on chores at home since then.😆 The trotlines in cellars work beautifully by the way, thank you Spear and Fang for that information.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it in your hotbar with it showing as being carried? If it isn't showing go to the hotbar slot you have it placed in. If it is showing as being carried and it isn't working then the only thing I can think of is that you have a conflict with another mod or you have the wrong mod version for your game version. Hope that helps.

I'm a bit concerned with balance regarding fishing. I've set up 12 copper trotline hooks with copper lures, and these things get fish non-stop, even in the winter. This has made my first winter rather trivial, as even though I had to preserve my other limited foodstuffs, I have a constant supply of fish to keep my protein satiety up. 

Would it be possible, perhaps, to lower certain fish catch chances based on the side of the body of water and temperature? Additionally it might help to have diminishing returns for more hooks; putting 12 hooks in a small pond as opposed to 6 probably wouldn't be all too much better. I imagine that could be implemented with some sort of proximity check for the amount of fish-catching blocks in an x block radius.

Edited by Burktross

When filleting, tenderizing, and chopping the fish into bits, they are more than capable of filling your hunger when thrown into a stew with cranberries.

It might also be a good idea to add gradual degradation of the trotlines' hooks and lures, or make it so that fish can get away if you do not harvest quickly enough.

I like trot line decay and also a chance that your line could be snapped, losing your hook. Would give us the task of maintianing checking them

Could possibly use similar code to the door that has a chance to break everytime you open it. Idk if that's a mod or vanilla. 

Edited by AngryOscar

Just a brief update that is somewhat related to the OP fishing - in the next release, everything related to catching fish will be customizable (frequency and odds).  In addition, there will be configurable chunk based depletion/repletion rates for fish.

Edited by Spear and Fang
  • Like 3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.