Primitive Survival

Spear and Fang

8 hours ago, ArtsyFreya said:

So I am playing the game on a Mac. I have a windows, I just have a Mac thats easily accessible at the moment and installed it....I have nitrado server for Vintage Story and when I try and load the mod 'Primitive Survival' its crashing the game when it starts logging into the server, its the only mod I've attempted to install so far other than 1 other small one that didn't crash the game....seems its just this mod giving me the issue. I really want to use this mod....any suggestions? I'm putting it in the Vintage Story >data>Mods folder as a zip like I'm supposed to....Now there is another 'mods' folder further out of the directory under Vintage Story and it has the other 3 game base mods...that isn't where I put it though....

Hello ArtsyFreya,
Since you are using a hosting service, it's pretty safe to assume that you are running the latest stable version of VS - 1.16.5 Stable.  Verify that if possible.
If so, ensure that you have the same version on your Mac, and ensure you are putting Primitive Survival v2.9.5 on the server - that is the newest compatible version for that game release.

Edited by Spear and Fang

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Spear and Fang, I'd love the additions this mod offers but haven't added it to my world just yet. I just wanted to confirm if there will be a mod update for 1.17.2 (Stable) or if the existing mod version is enough for now? Thank you for all your hard work 😁

Edited by Zeeny

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, BokoHarambe said:

Hey y'all does anyone know how to get the water pipes to work? cant find any tutorials and experimentation hasn't gotten me anywhere...

They don't work.  I started working on them and then turned my attention to mod compatibility with all the new VS releases, and playing the new versions of VS.
So I disabled the recipes.
Sorry.

• 2 months later...

@Spear and Fang

Just a mention that the ash grey hare (male) pelt name is missing "hare" in the en.json file. I do have to go through it all anyway, so I wanted to tell you for the next update
So, Here's the PT-BR translation. It's not complete and might need some revisions here and there thanks to the absurd amount of North American terms that just can't be translated properly (are the firefly names actual species? I couldn't find info on them) or it's very endgame stuff, like the whole particulator section. Everything else is more-or-less translated with research and checking on the Crowdin VS page, so it's very accurate when it can be.

By the way, what is necessary for the fish fillets and other meat introduced by this to show the name properly when making recipes? I wonder if Expanded Foods is blocking this from working or if it's missing something anyway.

pt-br.json

Edited by Azuli

Just a mention that the ash grey hare (male) pelt name is missing "hare" in the en.json file.

Thank you, I have fixed this for the next release

(are the firefly names actual species? I couldn't find info on them

They are actual names, but they are all "friendly" names or regional names that I pulled from the internet, rather than official classifications.  Many of them are likely from the USA.  Sorry!

By the way, what is necessary for the fish fillets and other meat introduced by this to show the name properly when making recipes?

I am hearing about this for the first time, and expected them to be translated using these sorts of entries (this entire section alone is only for fish fillets)...

"game:recipeingredient-item-fishfillet-raw": "Fish",
  "game:recipeingredient-item-fishfillet-raw-insturmentalcase": "Fish",
  "recipeingredient-item-fishfillet-raw": "Fish",
  "recipeingredient-item-fishfillet-raw-insturmentalcase": "Fish",
  "game:meal-ingredient-soup-primary-fishfillet-raw": "Fish",
  "game:meal-ingredient-soup-secondary-fishfillet-raw": "Fish",
  "game:meal-ingredient-stew-primary-fishfillet-raw": "Fish",
  "game:meal-ingredient-stew-secondary-fishfillet-raw": "Fish",

My language file is large and quite complicated, so thank you so much for this Azuli! I will include this translation in the next release.

Edited by Spear and Fang
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

By far, this mod ranks up as "must have" for VS ... it's up there with step up and carry capacity in my book. 

Though, how come we cannot smoke crab meat?  And I sorta understand VS authors were -trying- to make early game survival harder , but why not put bushmeat as a viable stew meat in this mod. I know it's compatible with bushmeat meals mod, and expanded foods ... 

I'd offer these suggestions, as to keep from needing to run a host of different mods.  

1- berries and fruit, should be ale to be dried in the bread and pie oven.  
2- Don't know why two pieces of flint cannot be used to start a fire strike a spark on the tinder ...
3- Berries and fruits should be able to mixed in bread dough ( without having to have expanded foods mod to do that one thing. ) 
4- Sling bullets would be nice , lobbing stones is good, but crafting some heavy weight metal rounds to lob doing comparable damage to tiered metal arrows would be nice. 
5- throwing knives/stars would be fun .. not needed, just fun. 
6 No ones has modded in dart board as a mini game yet, or horse-shoes toss game. 
7- lore books on the extras found in Primitive survival would be nice, i found two etheric gears in my fish trap... still got no idea what they are used for. Traders don't want em. 

Over-all, though.. still my favorite mod for the quality of life extras it has, plus some nifty things... monkey bridges , cordage, fishing/trapping ... its good fun. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Anthony frailey said:

By far, this mod ranks up as "must have" for VS ... it's up there with step up and carry capacity in my book. 

That's a lot to unpack.  So rather than hit every point I'm just gonna ramble on for a while.

RE: Smoked crab meat. Ruddi threw the smoker + related models my way one day and I really needed a kick in the arse to do some modding so I decided to tackle his smoker.  If he had included a trussed crab meat model I would have definitely added that.  Truth is though, in all my playthroughs I've never had enough crab meat to fill up a smoker with it so I didn't bother.  That and the smoker was a LOT of work to make. I was just happy to get through it all.

Bushmeat meals were in two different mods and I try not to step on anyone's toes.  It may seem like I'm trying to achieve world mod domination, but I'm actually much more interested in helping and supporting other modders while at the same time learning all the different aspects of modding myself.  I'm not about to step on l33tmaan's project - modding cooking recipes is something I dislike doing myself, and we've been supporting each other for a long time now.  I appreciates you l33t!.

Aside: I'm amused that you mentioned berries and fruit in bread, because I did some coding for Expanded Foods - mostly bottle/bottle rack related - but getting that berry bread to render properly in the oven was a part of that coding.  Yes I touched l33tmaan's berry bread.

I haven't done any weapons yet, so that's something that will come eventually.  Every day's a school day so I need to learn that too.  It's funny that you mention horseshoes, because when I made the tree hollows I actually made them hollow and gave them some extra collision boxes, with the intention that players could use them tree hollows much like a game of horseshoes.  Throwing rocks or shooting arrows into them.

Ethereal gears do indeed have a purpose now. Use four of them in conjunction with the Nephren-Ka statue for certain death...or big rewards. Probably both.

A large THANKS for the kind words!  

Edited by Spear and Fang
  • Like 1
  • Cookie time 1

As it stands, if i take bushmeat, i let it rot , or i jerky it use it as hook baits. 
There needs to be -other- uses for it , if meal making isn't quite a thing there. Maybe render it for fat? a 4 to 1 ratio? 
Hyenas and wolves are to blame there , i probably wind up with twenty times the amount of bushmeat vrs redmeat in any given play through. Simply because, those animals are aggressive and attack suddenly while exploring.  Good sources of fat and hides though. 
Every game, i find more than enough crabs, or it seems they find me.  I normally don't bother collecting the meat, unless its very early game , just getting started.  I did note, you can't smoke it or salt it though. 

The smoker wasn't too bad for me to make.   I think my only real complaint, it takes twine to truss... flax is kinda precious commodity, early-mid late game. Its used for quite a few things.  Cordage , I think, would be sufficient to truss as well.  
( trust me, the wood beehive in golden combs, takes both linen, and ebony wood.  i see content creators, find loads of ebony , I find it to be the rarest tree in VS.  That thing takes a lot of work to make! ) 

Horseshoes... I said that, actually thinking of a similar game we play here in southern USA , same principle, but we use large washer steel rings, and toss into a "pit" with a 3" round pipe or hole set in the ground, or commercially has a box with such a pipe in center of it.  Similar to "cornhole" game.  Interesting about the tree hollows.  I said horseshoes , because that seems more universally understood , than game i actually play, in the related toss genre. 
Now if we could, turn the tree hollow hole "up" , your mechanics might suffice for an actual similar game.  It's take a bit of prep, different stone types ( colors) per player.  terraform a lane flat, set a tree hollow, flush in ground on two ends, play in pairs, or teams. 
Heh. it -could- work.  

Bones, do not seem to have enough use in game either.  Why for is there no "bone" armor , something similar as the starting grass/wood armor? can only use bone as knife and axe handles, but Only on stone heads.  Other than that, bone meal fertilizer ... even then, its the least beneficial fertilizer, and you only need so much.  Eh, sorry woke up early, and i'm rambling on.  

Sling ammo, yes please?  it is easy to find rocks , ... but there's no way to scale up the device as you progress.  I like it better than the bows myself. I thought, making bronze, iron, lead, maybe even steel "sling bullets" could be a thing. New clay mold for casting metals?  

On cooking/bread... i actually find it ironic , we cannot put jam on bread, or make sandwiches. Hahaha.  Berry bread , i was eating a multi-berry muffin, thought, how isn't this a thing in VS? I had no idea it was in expanded foods. 

14 hours ago, Anthony frailey said:

The smoker wasn't too bad for me to make.   I think my only real complaint, it takes twine to truss... flax is kinda precious commodity, early-mid late game. Its used for quite a few things.  Cordage , I think, would be sufficient to truss as well.  
( trust me, the wood beehive in golden combs, takes both linen, and ebony wood.  i see content creators, find loads of ebony , I find it to be the rarest tree in VS.  That thing takes a lot of work to make! ) 

There may have been some confusion.  I meant that the smoker was hard to make in terms of the crazy amount of C# code I had to write, even more json code, and a lot of playtesting.  Anyways, as far as trussing goes I do have an alternate to twine planned for the next release.  As for the rest of what you said, I shall leave you with this (something I've said to many others):  

While your ideas are solid, I generally don't tackle random requests unless they give me an immediate OMG YES! vibe.  I prefer to be a part of the entire creative process from idea to execution.  Unleashing my creativity is the primary reason why I mod, so I'm going to have to let that one slide.  Not saying that my ideas are better, just that they're mine.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2022 at 7:20 AM, Anthony frailey said:

Oh god.
You didn't realize that can be made with any wood in any combination?

4 minutes ago, Thranos said:

Oh god.
You didn't realize that can be made with any wood in any combination?

i think i tried with purple heart wood, and it wouldn't come up in crafting grid, when looking at the recipe, it shows only ebony and doesn't cycle through other woods. 

Edited by Anthony frailey

On 12/20/2022 at 12:32 PM, Azuli_Yanazake said:

Is... is there anything new? 👀

Since the smoker? Just furrowed farmland...although some minor improvements here and there and some bug fixes.

• SNEAK click on farmland with a hoe to create a furrow for irrigation.
  • If you start at a water source the furrow will fill with water automatically. If not, you can easily fill your furrows with a bucket.
  • Moisture levels of nearby soil will be slightly better than a normal water source.
  • The occasional blockage will prevent moisture level improvements, and many uncleared blockages will cause bigger problems. They can be easily removed by right clicking on them.

furrowsUp.jpg

Edited by Spear and Fang
  • Amazing! 3

Hello,
 I would like to try your Primitive Survival mod. But having installed the mod in the "open mods folder", having only this mod and its latest version. It is activated in the mod manager, but no result in the single or multiplayer game. All other mods work. I am under linux mint. There are errors in client-main.txt and server-main.txt corresponding to the mod.

Thank you in advance for your answer

server-main.txt client-main.txt

1 hour ago, L4Douille said:

Hello,
 I would like to try your Primitive Survival mod. But having installed the mod in the "open mods folder", having only this mod and its latest version. It is activated in the mod manager, but no result in the single or multiplayer game. All other mods work. I am under linux mint. There are errors in client-main.txt and server-main.txt corresponding to the mod.

Thank you in advance for your answer

server-main.txt 17.64 kB · 0 downloads client-main.txt 38.33 kB · 0 downloads

You will need to ensure that mono is fully updated.
My workflow is built around NET Standard 2.0.  This seems to work fine for most Windows and linux users.  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.