Primitive Survival

Spear and Fang

On 12/20/2022 at 10:10 PM, Spear and Fang said:

Since the smoker? Just furrowed farmland...although some minor improvements here and there and some bug fixes.

• SNEAK click on farmland with a hoe to create a furrow for irrigation.
  • If you start at a water source the furrow will fill with water automatically. If not, you can easily fill your furrows with a bucket.
  • Moisture levels of nearby soil will be slightly better than a normal water source.
  • The occasional blockage will prevent moisture level improvements, and many uncleared blockages will cause bigger problems. They can be easily removed by right clicking on them.

furrowsUp.jpg

so the furrows would moisture-ize the vessels that auto water?

48 minutes ago, Anthony frailey said:

so the furrows would moisture-ize the vessels that auto water?

No, the furrows are an independent watering system that replace (and are a mild improvement over) blocks of water.

In a sense they would supplement vessels, because vessels only lose water if the neighboring soil requires water. 

Edited by Spear and Fang

LOVING the new additions. Furrowed farmland is excellent for larger crop fields, and genuinely feels like it should be a vanilla mechanic.
A question about the smokers, though- doesn't the meat seem to keep for a little too long? I know smoked meat keeps well, but it's keeping really, really well
Like. Too well.
Years well.

24 minutes ago, Thranos said:

LOVING the new additions. Furrowed farmland is excellent for larger crop fields, and genuinely feels like it should be a vanilla mechanic.
A question about the smokers, though- doesn't the meat seem to keep for a little too long? I know smoked meat keeps well, but it's keeping really, really well
Like. Too well.
Years well.

Thanks!
Yeah I can agree with the smoked meat thing.  I was trying to make it substantially lower than cured meat, but it is still a ridiculously long time.  I'm going to reduce that more for the next release.

2 hours ago, Spear and Fang said:

Thanks!
Yeah I can agree with the smoked meat thing.  I was trying to make it substantially lower than cured meat, but it is still a ridiculously long time.  I'm going to reduce that more for the next release.

is there any way to keep an option there , to stay as is? I quite enjoy the keep time it offers.  Offer some way keep it as is for those that find it appropriate, and shorten it for those wanting a higher spoilage rate? 
cured meat ( by salt ) takes sorta a resource that -can- be found in over abundance ... Halite/salt.  Once you discover a dome, its like free salted meat for life and then some. 
The smoker is bit more in depth, it takes fuel in firewood , and flax to make the truss strings , and you can sure a lot more salted meat in barrels at a pop, than you can smoker too... there is a trade off, yes it keeps a long time , when you play in warmer climates that is a life saving boon even WITH a proper cellar ... , it's also much more multi-player friendly. 
Most MP comments I see from players is, food spoils too quickly when they are offline and others are playing a lot. 
these smokers , which i also find awesome as all hell , could potentially alleviate some of those multi-player concerns and woes as is. 

*cough* sling bullets S&F ... remember... sling ammo was ALL your idea!  *cough-cough* 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anthony frailey said:

is there any way to keep an option there , to stay as is? I quite enjoy the keep time it offers.  Offer some way keep it as is for those that find it appropriate, and shorten it for those wanting a higher spoilage rate? 
cured meat ( by salt ) takes sorta a resource that -can- be found in over abundance ... Halite/salt.  Once you discover a dome, its like free salted meat for life and then some. 
The smoker is bit more in depth, it takes fuel in firewood , and flax to make the truss strings , and you can sure a lot more salted meat in barrels at a pop, than you can smoker too... there is a trade off, yes it keeps a long time , when you play in warmer climates that is a life saving boon even WITH a proper cellar ... , it's also much more multi-player friendly. 
Most MP comments I see from players is, food spoils too quickly when they are offline and others are playing a lot. 
these smokers , which i also find awesome as all hell , could potentially alleviate some of those multi-player concerns and woes as is. 

You raise some good points. I'll look at making it configurable via mod config.

*cough* sling bullets S&F ... remember... sling ammo was ALL your idea!  *cough-cough* 

Yes. Yes it was.  And a damn good idea.  😉 

Wow, ok, I need to check that. Is there any extra text to translate?

Also, what? Slings? 👀

Also also, here's the last bit translated!

"game:handhelp-trench": "Sulco",
  "block-furrowedland-*": "Sulco em terra arada",
  "item-blockage": "Resíduos estão causando um problema com a irrigação.",
  "ingameerror-debris": "Remova os resíduos primeiro!",
  "blockhelp-furrowedland-removedebris": "Remover resíduos"
Edited by Azuli_Yanazake
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Azuli_Yanazake said:

Wow, ok, I need to check that. Is there any extra text to translate?

Also, what? Slings? 👀

Also also, here's the last bit translated!

"game:handhelp-trench": "Sulco",
  "block-furrowedland-*": "Sulco em terra arada",
  "item-blockage": "Resíduos estão causando um problema com a irrigação.",
  "ingameerror-debris": "Remova os resíduos primeiro!",
  "blockhelp-furrowedland-removedebris": "Remover resíduos"

Sling is one of the class weapons ( i play with class restriction off in single player) , it hurls rocks 
I'm trying to get F&S to make some metal up grades for it, to scale damage up like arrows get for bows. ;)

Edited by Anthony frailey
  • Amazing! 1

4 hours ago, PastaNipples said:

Question, is there a 'catch difference' between Weir Traps and Fish Basket-traps for relic pieces? If I wanted to 'catch 'em all!', would I want a mix of baskets and weirs? Or can weirs/baskets alone do the job?

Big thanks for the mod, happy New Years!

Weirs for relic pieces, but baskets for gears to enchant said pieces.

Glad you're enjoying it. Happy New Years back atcha!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

There's some bug with furrowed farmland and freezing:

If the water in a furrow freezes and an adjacent farmland is made "furrowed" then whatever "normal" irrigation happens on connecting a channel does not happen.
Sadly it also does not happen when the original frozen tile thaws (or gets manually defrosted).

"Construction" while frozen:
image.thumb.png.e56a0f71de32d0670b690bf34afc8d39.png

I think this is some edge case with blockages and freeze order:
image.thumb.png.d064aacfdaf491581a7f7173a71cda68.png

1 hour ago, DoctorVanGogh said:

There's some bug with furrowed farmland and freezing:

If the water in a furrow freezes and an adjacent farmland is made "furrowed" then whatever "normal" irrigation happens on connecting a channel does not happen.
Sadly it also does not happen when the original frozen tile thaws (or gets manually defrosted).

"Construction" while frozen:
image.thumb.png.e56a0f71de32d0670b690bf34afc8d39.png

I think this is some edge case with blockages and freeze order:
image.thumb.png.d064aacfdaf491581a7f7173a71cda68.png

Thanks for the detailed report.  I'll try and get it sorted out for the next release.

17 hours ago, Spear and Fang said:

Thanks for the detailed report.

Well, as much detail as there is 😀

I think easiest reproduction case would be a winter biome. Have a line of water source block (W) & farm blocks, wait until that freezes, then furrow in the order 1,2,3,4:

W 4 3 2 1

For fun: have a second (frozen) water block left of that, but unfreeze (punch) that before you furrow.

W F 4 3 2 1

(W: liquid water, F: frozen water, 1,2,3,4 farm tiles to be furrowed in order)

Edit: Maybe as a workaround for this (and potentially other similar issues) you could add an "unfurrow" interaction the the furrows. Assuming the block retains its nutrient levels when furrowed there should be no harm being able to toggle from normal to furrowed farmland with the hoe.

Edited by DoctorVanGogh
  • Cookie time 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/15/2023 at 2:20 PM, DoctorVanGogh said:

Edit: Maybe as a workaround for this (and potentially other similar issues) you could add an "unfurrow" interaction the the furrows. Assuming the block retains its nutrient levels when furrowed there should be no harm being able to toggle from normal to furrowed farmland with the hoe.

Expanding on that thought, rice could require furrowed farmland to be planted. Loosely similar to its real life requirements (partly submerged etc).

20 hours ago, Hells Razer said:

Expanding on that thought, rice could require furrowed farmland to be planted...

Expanding on that thought... 😁

Is there a design reason why pumpkin (vines/pumpkins) can't grow on top of furrowed farmland? Or is this just how things currently work out? "Vanilla checks if there is liquid water underneath, if so, cant use the tile".
Because if that is not intentional (and I'd argue it shouldn't be) then pumpkins should be happy to use furrowed farmland. Because if the terrain can support a 1000 pound bear, it should be able to support a fricken plant.

Sidenote:
Furrowing a tile under the player is slightly wonky. The player will fall into the block. Seems there are multiple distinct updates of "remove farmland, make furrowed farmland, make water" and player position gets processed after step #1. If there a way to batch block changes?

Edited by DoctorVanGogh

Question for anyone who's in the the know; what's the deal with fireflies? I've had some baited jars, surrounded by a mix of woad/redtop grass/dwarf furze, and it's been a solid year since I laid them out; no jars full of shiny sparkling bugs, even though I can see them when I'm moving about at night. Do I need to leave the chunk? Do I need a certain kind of flower? Should I pile some rusty cogs as a bribe? Thankees if anyone can help me here :)

On 1/17/2023 at 4:52 PM, PastaNipples said:

Question for anyone who's in the the know; what's the deal with fireflies? I've had some baited jars, surrounded by a mix of woad/redtop grass/dwarf furze, and it's been a solid year since I laid them out; no jars full of shiny sparkling bugs, even though I can see them when I'm moving about at night. Do I need to leave the chunk? Do I need a certain kind of flower? Should I pile some rusty cogs as a bribe? Thankees if anyone can help me here :)

Are you talking about actual fireflies or the will-o-wisp things? The Will-o-wisp are just aestetic ( like butterflies are) , and I'm uncertain about fireflies. Though i think i recall seeing a specific jar mod to use em as a light source, but i never used it. 

• Like 1

On 1/17/2023 at 2:52 PM, PastaNipples said:

I'm not sure of the exact conditions that Tyron's fireflies spawn under, so I looked at more real life conditions when creating the criteria.
Sounds like you've met them all (and yes, any flowers will work) except perhaps the temperature.  If it's not 30C or warmer between midnight and 3am, you will not catch any fireflies. You might have to find a warmer spot.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2023 at 4:41 AM, DoctorVanGogh said:

Expanding on that thought... 😁

Is there a design reason why pumpkin (vines/pumpkins) can't grow on top of furrowed farmland? Or is this just how things currently work out? "Vanilla checks if there is liquid water underneath, if so, cant use the tile".
Because if that is not intentional (and I'd argue it shouldn't be) then pumpkins should be happy to use furrowed farmland. Because if the terrain can support a 1000 pound bear, it should be able to support a fricken plant.

Sidenote:
Furrowing a tile under the player is slightly wonky. The player will fall into the block. Seems there are multiple distinct updates of "remove farmland, make furrowed farmland, make water" and player position gets processed after step #1. If there a way to batch block changes?

Oh good info thanks.  I'll see if I can correct all of that.

11 hours ago, Spear and Fang said:

I'm not sure of the exact conditions that Tyron's fireflies spawn under, so I looked at more real life conditions when creating the criteria.
Sounds like you've met them all (and yes, any flowers will work) except perhaps the temperature.  If it's not 30C or warmer between midnight and 3am, you will not catch any fireflies. You might have to find a warmer spot.

Splendid, I've been intending to go further south to find more 'temperate bound' resources, I can set up a kind of firefly farm outpost. Thanks!

Another question: I may or may not have encountered a very ghastly creature, and after valiant battle I felled the thing. Only problem is, how do I interact with such a ghoulish thing? Knives didn't work, picks didn't, and the corpse despawned before I could test anything else. Any help would be appreciated, trying not to spoil stuff for the 'not knowing' :)

5 hours ago, PastaNipples said:

Another question: I may or may not have encountered a very ghastly creature, and after valiant battle I felled the thing. Only problem is, how do I interact with such a ghoulish thing? Knives didn't work, picks didn't, and the corpse despawned before I could test anything else. Any help would be appreciated, trying not to spoil stuff for the 'not knowing' :)

The hit box for harvesting tall boi (with a knife) is only near his feet.  I couldn't make it bigger, but I should revisit that because it's a little annoying.

Edited by Spear and Fang
  • Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.