[v1.8] The worlds first Vintage Story (testing) SMP Server

Tyron

Graciously hosted by @Geartwo

Mode: Just plain Survival
Address: chrometech.at
Rules: Don't break other peoples things, respect eachother, try to leave behind not too much mess (like floating blocks)

I took the freedom to give op status to all of the VS team plus @copygirl, @Geartwo and @redram. If someone else wants to moderate, let me know.
Please keep it at survival mode only.

Since our player count is still pretty low, feel free to use this post to arrange playing times!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yesterday we were unable to join the server for many hours. The frustrating part is that it gave us the impression that the server was just hang on some error and that restarting would fix the issue.

This is not a complain. I play for free on a server graciously hosted with someones hard earned money. I am thankful to that person.

I would, however, suggest that it would be a good idea to have admins or trusted people in different time zones, so we could always have someone up and able to restart the server.

When I had the Darkagecraft server that's what I did. I had one admin inEastern Europe (Ucrania) me in Eastern USA (Florida) and another in Western USA (Utah).

One other important thing I had on the server was an automated restart every 6 hours. Granted we had server admin tools that would advertise the restart to all players starting 15 minutes before.

the idea was to clean the server cache because of how poorly Minecraft and Java work on that. But also even if no admin was available the server would not be unavailable for more than 6 hours.

That stinks of course, I can understand that. 

@More Admins
Problem is, there is no server web admin interface yet. So somone *really* trustable with linux skills would need to do the restart. So probably me or someone else needs to code some kind of server admin tool before we can add more admins that have restart capability

@Autorestart
For me it is really helpful to have a server where I can observe long uptime behavior, exactly because I do wish to have a more reliable server than MC had. It already helped me fix a few serious lag issues that only build up over time. Restarting it every few hours would make my reliability improvement efforts significantly more difficult.

Perhaps I should name it "Public Test Server" to make the intentions somewhat more clear.

I think the main question is if you have the server in a dedicated box. That's the way I had when I was running my Darkagecraft. I live in Florida and rented a box with a host in Canada.

I had complete control over the machine, with an IP address and had to choose the OS and install it. In the end, I gave full access to several people. Maybe I was just luck, but never had any trouble with them. Granted they were part of the active modding community in TFC, But that's it I did not know those people personally. I took a risk and it paid off.

The game, as I understand is in its infancy, and this is the moment when many decisions will affect the whole future of this community.

Once I found out about VS, my first thought was to create my old Server again, I was very happy until I noticed that there were no server admin tools. No way to protect chunks, no way to control players, so in essence no way to admin the server. 

Don't get me wrong, I am still very happy to have found this game and I believe in it and am trying to spread the news.

I am stuck with just the public server for now.

2 hours ago, Stroam said:

I know how to use Linux without a GUI and am located on the US west coast. The really trustable part is up to you, however. ^_^

Would be no problem if the server would be owned by me and only ran the VS game server, but neither is the case :<

9 minutes ago, tony Liberatto said:

I think the main question is if you have the server in a dedicated box. That's the way I had when I was running my Darkagecraft. I live in Florida and rented a box with a host in Canada.

I had complete control over the machine, with an IP address and had to choose the OS and install it. In the end, I gave full access to several people. Maybe I was just luck, but never had any trouble with them. Granted they were part of the active modding community in TFC, But that's it I did not know those people personally. I took a risk and it paid off.

The game, as I understand is in its infancy, and this is the moment when many decisions will affect the whole future of this community.

Once I found out about VS, my first thought was to create my old Server again, I was very happy until I noticed that there were no server admin tools. No way to protect chunks, no way to control players, so in essence no way to admin the server. 

Don't get me wrong, I am still very happy to have found this game and I believe in it and am trying to spread the news.

I am stuck with just the public server for now.

Oh, please, open up a thread in Suggestions on Server Tools, I've been waiting for someone to write about that. Also there is a command to build protect areas, albeit it's use is too fiddly for my taste. I don't know what you mean with control players. So yes, please make a suggestions thread!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Archived