Easy Knapping

City Builder

4 minutes ago, junawood said:

Not sure how many flint axes you'd need for them. Probably just one, because one flint axe is for 120 wood blocks

it was about 8 stacks of logs I think I don't remember how much wood I had at the end of it but I literally broke 9 axes on 1 tree normally it's only about 6 or 7 axes but the point is I shouldn't need to carry around a bunch of axes to chop down a big tree 2 or 3 would be reasonable but that's why I upped the durability of tools in the settings prior to making my new game to have 400% durability. I needed a lot of wood for firewood for making charcoal and so the big 2x2 trees were a good choice. and they do grow naturally well I planted 4 saplings in a 2x2 pattern like you would a jungle or dark oak tree in minecraft and they did grow into 2x2 trees some of them fairly tall others rather short but they still grew. the 2x2 are the best wood per cost of sapling at least for me so far.

• 1 year later...

I hope it's okay to revive an older thread, but some sort of auto-complete version of knapping and other finer detail voxel work (clayforming, smithing) would be really helpful. I was introducing the game to my brother who would love to play the game, but as soon as he hit the knapping stage it started aggravating his tendons and straining it, and it would be harmful to play in the long term. I'm not sure how I would even approach making a mod to let him play the game, but from a purely accessibility standpoint it would be very nice to have as an option so I could play with him.

I personally enjoy the mechanic and it's a relaxing for me, but I can see how it can be a strain for anyone with hand-eye coordination struggles as well.

On 11/1/2020 at 4:22 PM, Sukotto82 said:

yeah but breaking and going through 9 axes just to cut down 1 oak tree is stupid ridiculous. 2 maybe even 3 but 9 come on. I'm not going to run around with 10+ axes wasting all that valuable inventory space if inventory wasn't so limited or tools with max durability stacked like food when you haven't eaten any then fine that would work but that is a bit insane in my opinion just to chop down 1 2x2 tree.

You shouldn't be able to chop down a massive old growth redwood with flimsy knapped flint tools, have you ever seen what a tree actually looks like and how much you'd have to cut through to fell it? This game is being immensely generous compared to what you'd have to do in a realistic scenario to fell a meter wide tree. You don't need that much wood at the start of the game anyways since all of it goes to firewood.

Anyways, knapping should stay and should be abandoned entirely upon reaching even just starting out in making metal tools, but I will agree that clayforming should have more methods for automation, such as a potters wheel that requires mechanical power for radially symmetrical items such as vessels and crocks and clay forms that are easy to fill up and get unfired items from like ingot molds and the like. The reason that forming and knapping exist is to make it harder to mass produce these products early on in the game, making a vessel is a large time investment and if it wasn't then people would make far more. These systems also allow for the personal skill of the player to make the crafting process faster by employing certain techniques, something that just cannot be present in a grid crafting scenario.

13 hours ago, Nootman said:

You shouldn't be able to chop down a massive old growth redwood with flimsy knapped flint tools, have you ever seen what a tree actually looks like and how much you'd have to cut through to fell it? This game is being immensely generous compared to what you'd have to do in a realistic scenario to fell a meter wide tree. You don't need that much wood at the start of the game anyways since all of it goes to firewood.

I mean... it IS still a game, after all. I did cut down redwoods with primitive tools (flint and obsidian), too - the fact that it took a lot of preparing and carrying a bunch of axes was part of the fun - and I still am using the wood I got like several OT hours later.

Would it be possible to add a setting that can disable ,what can be called, slow knapping and allow for quick knapping for players. Could be a good solution ,if doable, that allows the players to choose how they wish to approach the function. The only question would be is how it would function in a multiplayer setting. I,E would it be a server or client setting.

Knapping is nothing compared to the other features of the game which are far more tedious. In fact, knapping should be more challenging and tedious in my opinion. It should be 3D with a unique rock every time you do it. Otherwise, I'd recommend Creative mode or hopefully there are mods. I play this game with my wife and it's time consuming and complicated for the both of us. As challenging and tedious as it may be, it's these kinds of features that keep people's attention, playing this over Minecraft.

• Like 2

Honestly I find it funny people want to change the the knapping system that I find it good way to concentrate myself as well as in comparison to the original (The MC mod) you cannot make a mistake and there are no misclicks. Kinda same for clay making, as long you have enough clay for the job.

• 1 month later...

It is clear that some people like it and some people find it annoying. Sounds to me like this would be a perfect candidate for another option. All kinds of features can be enabled or disabled, so why not this one? So everyone can play the way they prefer.

I myself would love to opt out. Knapping a tool is fine. Knapping arrowheads is quite something. And i bet there are even more time-consuming things. Not everyone has couple hours for clicking on cubes.

An alternative (configurable) modification to the system could be introducing a "brush" kind of thing, that knaps multiple cubes. In clay forming this could also avoid forming wrong forms. So we still do the activity, but it is much faster and easier.

I mean there is some kind of skill leveling system planned to be implemented, hence i don't really think such a basic crafting method will be changed before then.

Such a system could come with options to set a fixed level for something like knapping, though I think those will be likely modded features (similar to skill leveling being a modded feature at this point) or options done through commands. Idk, maybe at the highest skill level for knapping you'd knapp big areas instead of single voxels and as you can't make mistakes in the knapping minigame that will a) make knapping large quantities of things less tedious (without it being instantaneous) and b) would make knapping something people might still do long into the metal ages (for completionist's sake to get the level to its maximum or as it still would be a viable option, similar to how i use stone knifes up to the point when i don't have to care for how much ore i have laying around).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.