[Mod] modBooks - write your own stories!

dot

modBooks! Wirte your own books and letters to share information

Here: https://mods.vintagestory.at/modbooks
or on Git: GitHub/modbooks

Works in RC 1.15.5 VintageStory

What to expect:
This mod adds books and paper to write anything to share with your friends and server community featuring VintageStory's VTML parser. Be sure to check out the wiki page on the parser in order to understand all its functions!

Writing will be done via the Book Editor that allows you to add up to 20 pages for books and two for papers. There is an extensive help entry in your survival handbook (default press "h" ingame) to help you on your journey how iron ink, writing tools and books are made.

Spoiler

editor.thumb.png.c9820bff5e35fd190ec6d5028e2d9501.png

If you want to write anything you will need to craft various items: pencils, quills and inkwells! But an inkwell is incomplete without first chemically crafting you own iron ink:

Spoiler

chemink.thumb.png.246408909504fe680c28c9286faac729.png

Once you have mastered the art of making ink and pencils you can start to make books you like!

Books can be crafted in various colors, so you have some options:

Spoiler

books.thumb.png.387196f2b2c00ffb61389fe7fccb661a.png

Be sure to make quests and share stories with your friends!

I hope you enjoy this mod, have fun!

Please report bugs here! Thanks :)

Edited by dot
release
  • Thanks 3

Known Bugs:

- paper not synced for multiplayer

- books author changed when picked up and placed by other player

fixed:

- add multiple empty inkwells to barrel, than add LAST one in itemstack will crash game

- Iron sulfide should say Iron sulfate! Will be fixed with the next update. fixed
- Cannot place honey once iron sulfate is already in barrel (neither with bucket nor with bowl) fixed

- breaking block underneath is said to duplicate the book (bug in 1.12.0 )  fixed

-overflow bug on pagemax 20 fixed

To-Dos:

1.3.0: add animation

Spoiler

bookrw.thumb.gif.79a275196cfa74798cefbd6bd09eacfa.gif

Edited by dot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• dot changed the title to [Mod] modBooks - write your own stories!
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey dot, thanks for this awesome mod!

Currently, we have problems crafting the iron sulfid + honey = iron ink recipe in a barrel. I am not able to place a portion of honey in the barrel when the barrel is already filled with iron sulfid. I tried to use buckets and bowls but every time the whole bucket/bowl with the honey portion is placed in the barrel ingredients field instead of a single portion of honey.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2020 at 11:26 AM, Lucas Kahlert said:

Hey dot, thanks for this awesome mod!

Currently, we have problems crafting the iron sulfid + honey = iron ink recipe in a barrel. I am not able to place a portion of honey in the barrel when the barrel is already filled with iron sulfid. I tried to use buckets and bowls but every time the whole bucket/bowl with the honey portion is placed in the barrel ingredients field instead of a single portion of honey.

Hi there!

I'm having the same trouble: can't figure out how to do the sulfid+honey part... Thanks for any hint on that!

• Like 1

You should be able to continue regardless by adding resin instead of honey. Yes, I see that I cannot empty out honey from the bowl into the barrel, I will look into it!

Edited by dot

19 hours ago, dot said:

You should be able to continue regardless by adding resin instead of honey. Yes, I see that I cannot empty out honey from the bowl into the barrel, I will look into it!

Funny how the mind just stick to a problem without looking for alternatives... I completely forgot about resin! Nice that you look about honey, though, as it is an easier resource for me... Thanks!

Edit: So, just used resin and i was able to try the ink! Just as a sidenote, i must say that i think the process is a bit resource consuming... loosing the quill, and more importantly the inkwell at each use is a bit punishing and not very realistic (even for a game). It prevents us (me, at least) to use your mod to do daily notes or keep a dynamic todo list, which were the reasons why i was attracted by it at first.

Still a great idea, and something that should definitively be added to the game, but the resources needed are, in my opinion, a bit too much, or we should be able to use the products several times.

Edited by Lid
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Lid said:

i must say that i think the process is a bit resource consuming... loosing the quill

I agree. It should return the inkwell, so it can be filled up again at the barrel.

However, a quill (without a metal tip) wont last that long. I doubt a real one would allow to write multiple books. After few pages one would have to cut off a piece to get a fine tip again. Feel free to chime in.

I would like to add durability to the inkwell with quill: once the durability is at zero it should return an empty inkwell - no quill, tho. Because I would rather not have two different items required to be carried around for writing into the book.

Overall the barrel should also be replaced by something made from clay (ceramic actually), becausue Iron sulfate would eat the wood :D

Edited by dot

8 hours ago, dot said:

I would like to add durability to the inkwell with quill

That would be perfect!

Reading you, i'm starting to think i don't use your mod as you - mainly - intended. I don't properly write books (stories or quests), i use it to keep some informations and occasionally write a kind of diary.

By the way, it makes me thinking that i tried once to write on a sheet of paper with a pen and it didn't work. I can't remember if the UI appeared, but i couldn't write anything, and at first i thought i lost my pen because it disappeared. It seems that just the icon disappeared, for when i moved some stuff in my shortcut bar it reappeared.

And in the same line as the inkwell, i think the pens should also have a durability... ;)

Anyway, thanks a lot for your answer, and have a nice day!

P.S. i don't know if it's relevant, but just in case, i should mention that i'm playing on linux.

Edited by Lid

On 9/4/2021 at 1:17 PM, Lid said:

Ok, nice to see you're still on this mod (honestly thought it was dead)!

Good luck on that, will watch for it!

It is on the modDB now. And I took some of your advice to heart and reduced the ressource costs. ;)

Edited by dot

Thanks! For the latest release I didnt have anybody to test the mod on a server with multiple players. So keep em coming those multiplayer bugs. I cannot easily reproduce them as I cannot connect multiple times to one server :(

• 3 weeks later...

@dotAre the books locked once written or can anybody edit them? I like to have them locked, since i want to use them as rule books on my server. If you need a server to test things out, you can contact me.

Oh and it would be great if you could at a function to copy the stuff we have written into these books to be able to paste it somewhere, e.g. a text file on the pc.Because if the book is lost, we have to re-write from scratch.

Edited by Kai Effelsberg

• 2 weeks later...

Is this mod still being worked on? If so, I would volunteer as tester.
I like what I see and the features you're trying to provide are great. I need them for my server.
But as far as I've seen, there is much work to do. It needs the option to pick up books, for the beginning. Breaking them to pick them up, doesn't feel right. The complete handling feels wacky. For some reason I can't write on paper, the pencil or quill just disappears if I try.
It needs the option to write in a book, without having to place it. This shouldn't work with paper, though.
I want this mod to work properly, so let me offer my help. I'm learning C# right now, but having to do all the features from scratch is a bit to high for my programming skills.
So, what do you say, @dot? Are you still on this? Let's team up!

• 2 weeks later...

Also: VTML does not work for me mostly. Can't change colors. Also </font> will cause a line break. And it would be nice if we would be able to delete the first page as well or at least mark and delete everything at once with control & a. If you need multiplayer testing, we have this mod on our "Conquest of Blocks" server

Edited by CoB_Kai

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

hey, thanks for letting me know!

As of right now I will have to see if I can do something about that. You know, time is ever more of a constraint than anything else 😅

Update:
Sadly, as the game doesnt seem to incoroparte more gameplay updates (no village, no mine carts, boats, horses - yet you need to walk forever to get stones and stuff - no enjoyable monsters (why shield so late? no clear vision... ), still no red-stone like logic elements 🥸 and yet the performance is still hard sub-par (on a ryzen 5600, rx580, nvme ssd ...)) regard this mod as abandoned until further notice. 😴

Edited by dot

• 1 month later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.