Wild Farming

jakecool19

1 hour ago, jakecool19 said:

That depends on the herb, most are pretty winter hardy and can survive and grow if winter is not to bad. Only tropical herbs, like basil will have a hard time in winter.

Both sage and mint stop growing in winter, at least they do here, and I have only seen snow on the ground once in the last 40 years. I live at about 32 degrees south of the equator 😉

1 hour ago, Michael Wendt said:

when i load my server i get this error, everything runs and its new server so i cant really test what this will cause for issues.  im assuming its from this mod as its all clothing recipes.

image.png

I am sorry but that is not from my mod, it does nothing clothing related. The problem is, whatever mod is adding these recipes are not using the right item codes. For example game:flower-horsetail does not exist it should be game:flower-horsetail-* or game:flower-horsetail-free.

around here we get usually a few days of snow each year, most still grow even in winter, at most needing a cover so they aren't fully covered, but they definitely slow down, and in some cased they are deciduous.  of course each herb family has so many sub members that there is almost always a variety that will survive where you are all year if you look hard enough.

Update 0.7 is out!

• Textures added for herbs put in meals
  • Herbs are much less winter tolerant
  • Greenhouses will now allow plants to ignore temperature and grow anywhere, anytime!
  • With the CompatibilityLib installed, herbs can be put in Au Gratin with the Expanded Foods mod installed
  • Cookie time 1
  • Amazing! 1

• jakecool19 changed the title to Wild Farming (Now with Vine Farming!)

Update 0.8 is out!

• Vines can now be grown from vine tips. They must have at least on air block of space beneath them.
  • Vine tips can be crafted from two vine sections and a full bucket of water
  • Seaweed can be grown if both the Expanded Foods mod and Compatibility Lib are installed
  • Seaweed trimmings must be placed in at least 3 block deep water, it will not grow all the way to the surface
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jakecool19 said:

Update 0.8 is out!

• Vines can now be grown from vine tips. They must have at least on air block of space beneath them.
  • Vine tips can be crafted from two vine sections and a full bucket of water
  • Seaweed can be grown if both the Expanded Foods mod and Compatibility Lib are installed
  • Seaweed trimmings must be placed in at least 3 block deep water, it will not grow all the way to the surface

Do all vine tips grow, all the time? Because that's one of the things I hate about vines in minecraft- they all eventually hit the ground and also contribute a lot to lag. If they do, could you add a way to disable this?

15 hours ago, samkee00 said:

Do all vine tips grow, all the time? Because that's one of the things I hate about vines in minecraft- they all eventually hit the ground and also contribute a lot to lag. If they do, could you add a way to disable this?

As far as I know, ones created by world generation will not have the block entity. Also the block entity is only on the vine tip not the rest of the vine sections so if you do not want it to grow do not place a tip at the end. If you want it to stop all together you can got to the patches in the mod, find the wildvines one, and set the entity class to null.

31 minutes ago, jakecool19 said:

As far as I know, ones created by world generation will not have the block entity. Also the block entity is only on the vine tip not the rest of the vine sections so if you do not want it to grow do not place a tip at the end. If you want it to stop all together you can got to the patches in the mod, find the wildvines one, and set the entity class to null.

Ah, thanks. Good to know.

Have you considered integrating wild farming into some of the recipes Expanded food recipes? like Sage.. with Sage and meat, we could make sausages that you hang up to dry, it would be a really cool way to store food and  used to be made like this for long term storage. Having a pantry with Sausages hanging from the ceiling/walls would look so cool. Plus all the other herbs that wild farming adds, like Chamomile and lavender could be used to make teas. Maybe you two could work together on that? ^^

• 2 weeks later...

Can you clarify that the 'Greenhouses always work' is in-fact a part of the recent update?  I can not get it working alone (with compatLib1.2.1) or in a modpack.  The rest of the mod works fine, I am unable to grow rice in the polar region (as the test-case to make sure it's working).

Edited by DragooKnight11

2 hours ago, DragooKnight11 said:

Can you clarify that the 'Greenhouses always work' is in-fact a part of the recent update?  I can not get it working alone (with compatLib1.2.1) or in a modpack.  The rest of the mod works fine, I am unable to grow rice in the polar region (as the test-case to make sure it's working).

This mod does not mess with the vanilla crops, but the developers have been messing around with the room registry system and crop system for the next big update. So right now the greenhouse thing is kinda weird.

I assume that vines simply propagate with transplanting like the tips, because I can't extract seeds with a knife like with other plants. Is this the case?

Also since horsetail, for example, doesn't show any nutrient requirements, I assume that it grows just as well on un-tilled/-fertilized soil, though maybe this is a misunderstanding and is why others are having problems with plants maturing...

Edited by Jesse Caron

29 minutes ago, Jesse Caron said:

I assume that vines simply propagate with transplanting like the tips, because I can't extract seeds with a knife like with other plants. Is this the case?

Also since horsetail, for example, doesn't show any nutrient requirements, I assume that it grows just as well on un-tilled/-fertilized soil, though maybe this is a misunderstanding and is why others are having problems with plants maturing...

Wild plants like that can be planted anywhere that is fertile, even sand or gravel, and does not require nutrients to grow like crops. Wild vines can be duplicated with the sections and a bucket of water.

"Herbs are added to world generation and can be harvested like berry bushes. They can be put into porridge, soup, and stews and give health upon eating. "

I'm not finding this to be true. They'll go in and cook well enough, but the satiety ratings don't show up in the finished product mouse-over description like the other ingredients.

A stew with two red meat and two mushrooms shows 840 satiety from meant and 240 from vegetables. Two red meat, one mushroom, and a marjoram shows 840 from meat and 120 from vegetable...

On 3/4/2021 at 12:42 PM, Jesse Caron said:

"Herbs are added to world generation and can be harvested like berry bushes. They can be put into porridge, soup, and stews and give health upon eating. "

I'm not finding this to be true. They'll go in and cook well enough, but the satiety ratings don't show up in the finished product mouse-over description like the other ingredients.

A stew with two red meat and two mushrooms shows 840 satiety from meant and 240 from vegetables. Two red meat, one mushroom, and a marjoram shows 840 from meat and 120 from vegetable...

Unfortunately I cannot replicate this bug on my end so far. Do you have any other mods that modify the cooking system in any way? Also if you eat the meal, do you get healed by it, or is there no health gained from eating a portion?

4 hours ago, Nomedable said:

I've noticed a bug with scoring logs, it seems any type of log can be scored and it will then turn into a leaking pine log.

Also cannot seem to replicate this bug. Do you have any other mods that might change the way logs work like for example Lumberjack?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.