Modding using VS Code and .NET

copygirl

Hello everyone!

I'm a big fan of VS Code. I've used it to dabble into C# coding, doing web development, creating Minecraft mods, and now also creating mods for Vintage Story!

vYPOyRN.thumb.png.9dabeb0a4d5143241078a560a80f7f3e.png

I created this repository to walk people through how to set up a new project on their own and explains things on the way.
It describes how to use .NET 5 / .NET Core to build mods in a cross-platform friendly way.

GitHub: copygirl/howto-example-mod

Any feedback is appreciated, especially if you're using VS Code or this setup in particular, but feel free to also talk or ask about VS Code in general.

Edited by copygirl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2018 at 11:24 PM, Stroam said:

If you could do a video on this. That would be awesome! The tutorial is great and by looking at your github I figured it out but a video would take more of the guesswork out.

I might consider it. Though an issue with a video is that it's likely resources will become outdated and text is easier to update. Preparing and re-recording a video multiple times until I'm happy takes considerably more effort, and I'm not entirely sure how valuable it'd be. Also considering I'd be doing this on Linux and don't have a Windows install around, I wouldn't be able to show some Windows-specific bits.

Though, based on your feedback I added another section to the readme:
General VS Code suggestions and Cheat Sheet

Edited by copygirl

• 2 years later...

@copygirl thanks for this how to!   Visual Studio Code has been my go to IDE for the last year or so, and you got me up and running quickly (on Windows btw).

I'm not sure if you mentioned it in your tutorial, but installing Prettier in VSCode and setting it to format on save makes quick work of keeping those JSON files neat and tidy.

https://prettier.io/

Edited by Spear and Fang

• copygirl changed the title to Modding using VS Code and .NET

Updated the repo. With the help of my friend Nikky we found out an easy way to create a release .zip when building the project in release configuration. We also switched from copying the mod .dll to the mods folder to just telling the game to directly load the mod from the output folder - less clean up when you're done modding!

• Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.