[Discontinued] CarryCapacity v0.6.5

copygirl

CarryCapacity is no longer being developed.
Please use the lovely CarryOn instead, which is a continuation of this mod.

CarryCapacity is a mod which allows picking up blocks and carrying them in your hands and on your back.

HjghIv1.thumb.jpg.d432e1730d82fcd4e39ed612ebcda8cc.jpg

This was made possible with the help of the awesome @Tyron providing some code samples with the official example mods.

You can pick up chests, baskets, crates, barrels, planters, vessels and anvils by sneaking and holding right click with empty hands - that includes your offhand slot! This will prevent you from sprinting, and depending on what you're carrying, slow your walk speed down further. Placing them back down again is done by sneaking and holding right click on a block.

Chests, baskets, barrels and vessels can also be worn on your back. To put what you're holding in your hands onto your back, sneak and hold right click in the air - without aiming at a block, otherwise you would just place it back down. Similarly, it can also be taken off again. Worn like this, baskets won't slow you down, but everything else will.

[ VSModDB ]
[ GitHub Releases ]
Source code and more in-depth information is available on GitHub as well.

Edited by copygirl
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 3

I updated the mod to version 0.2.0, making it a little bit more usable. Changes are:

• Added a delay to picking up and placing down blocks (can vary per block).
    You now need to hold right click for half a second to pick up a chest (0.2s for basket).
  • Fixed rotation and rendering misbehaving.
  • Block is placed upon death.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I love this, it's more immersive than shoving furniture into your pocket. 

That said, how hard is it I wonder to further integrate this into the UI so that you only have a single slot of inventory for heavy stuff so that it must be carried around or placed onto pack animals, powered transport etc.

• Like 2

And with Vintage Story 1.5.2 coming about, it's also time to release another version of CarryCapacity: 0.2.4.
This little update also comes with the ability to place carried blocks back down on any side of a solid block - not just the top.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Elwood said:

looks like the latest 1.5.2.4 patch breaks this mod. you lose whatever is put inside.  Great for a gag i suppose.

Thanks for pointing this out to me. I've attributed it to a change / likely bug in the game and told Tyron about it.
Might be fixed with 1.5.2.6. In the case it's intentional, I will fix it on my end.

On 3/31/2018 at 12:18 AM, Theishiopian said:

This should be in the base game IMO. I would make it take up a bag slot though, and maybe slow you down if it doesn't already.

I already asked the devs if we can modify hotbar slots or add custom ones. I would appreciate it if I could add 2 of my own. One for carrying things with your hands and one on your back. Unfortunately beyond basic hotbar modifications there's additional features missing that would be either required or improve ease of coding, stability and interoperability with other mods at the moment.

I wanted to add slowdown when carrying things, but I'd like to wait with that until I can implement a carryable container (proper placeable backpack?!) that doesn't slow you down when worn on the back. I'd rather slow players down any significant amount of they carry something with their hands, which is not something I've been able to implement yet, either :(

To @Elwood and others: On another note, @Tyron and I have not been able to attribute the issue with items disappearing after carrying chests. We could both reproduce it, and then suddenly not anymore. I have a slight suspicion that it happens immediately after you load a world from an older version, but other than that.. can't do much, unfortunately. I've used the mod just fine in my own world for many play sessions without an issue. Not sure if this helps.

Edited by copygirl

Releasing new version 0.3.0 of CarryCapacity to not only update to the new Vintage Story changes, but also making the mod client-side optional!

edit: Nevermind the client-side optional thing. I forgot that missing block behaviors crash the game ?

Edited by copygirl

After a couple of pre-release versions, I finally got around to making an official 0.3.2 version of the mod.
Pretty much just updated to Vintage Story 1.6 and a couple of bug fixes.

Something that's actually pretty cool though is that @tony Liberatto's The Neolithic Mod added support for CarryCapacity to carry its animal corpses on your shoulder!

• Like 2

On 10/5/2018 at 5:28 PM, Rastrick said:

Are there any plans to incorporate living passive mobs to list of things you can carry?

Very much yes! The original plan was to implement the ability to carry things with your hands (preventing you from using other items), and then on top of that be able to put some things on your back like chests and backpacks. Unfortunately I haven't been able to really put the effort into seeing how this would be possible. It might require changes to how the game handles hotbar slots.

Edited by copygirl
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Nemo said:

Updated to 1.7.5 and it does not work anymore ? hopefully you can update soon ?

I tried it real quick myself and for me it's still working. How is it not, for you? If it's crashing please upload the crash log and link it to me. Otherwise just make sure you still have the mod correctly installed and all.

After over 7 months, and lots of nagging Tyron to add the right hooks and events, finally another version of CarryCapacity has been released! Many apologies for skipping a version. An important, somewhat minor change I made to the engine hasn't made it into 1.8. And now, with the addition of entity action events in 1.9.3 and 1.9.4, I could round out a few more flaws to the point I'm happy with another (pre-)release!

IIMrIC3.jpg OV1YBvY.jpg

Additions, Changes and Fixes since CarryCapacity 0.3.4:

• Allow carrying blocks in both hands and on back!
  • Added a shoulder slot for The Neolithic Mod to use.
  • Allow carrying additional blocks: Labeled chests, crates, barrels, planters and anvils.
  • Add world interaction hints when looking at blocks that can be carried.
  • Lock current hotbar and off-hand slot while carrying blocks in-hand.
  • Prevent sprinting while carrying blocks in-hand.
  • Drop held blocks on the ground when taking damage.
Edited by copygirl

I have this installed with latest version (1.7.2) of Neolithic on VS 1.9.6 and the carry action will not work on anything.  This is on an MP server, all players are seeing the issue.  Also, some things show multiple lines of the action hint:

image.png.15c2b8344e6941f77a038184ebfc693e.png

@Hexalan Sorry for the late reply, I could only test now, and see what might have caused this. Looks like it's on Neolithic Mod's side. However, I can pick up chests and baskets just fine. Are you holding anything in your off-hand? Both your hands need to be empty.

Edited by copygirl

I released version 0.4.0 proper now, only difference from rc.2 was me fixing being able to pick up blocks inside claimed areas. If there's any bugs I will attempt to fix them. But for now I see CarryCapacity as being complete enough to leave in the state it is, and focus on other work.

In the future, I'm planning on rewriting everything once again so you can also pick up entities - like chickens and boars, though only once you tamed them - as well as being able to open others' containers in their hands or on their back. Perhaps I'll make a little backpack mod as well - a proper one, not like in Vanilla where you can carry 4 at once 😛

Edited by copygirl

@copygirl, Would it be possible to for your mod to support the cupboard in the Vcupboard VintageStory Mod? I would like to move the cupboard in that mod around like we can with the official content in the game. Please, and thanks for the consideration!

Links

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.