Meteoric Expansion v1.2.2 - New Content: Meteor Showers

Taska Raine

6 hours ago, Shadowfire117 said:

Ah, yeah I tried with longer lifespan and finally one crashed and ore was spawned. Thanks for the explanation, and once more thanks for a stellar mod! Do you plan on making more random weather event to liven up the skybox?

You're welcome ^.^

I'd love to see something like that, too... even more extreme weather phenomena seems like it'd be a cool addition to the game. I'd love to revisit some things in this mod at some point, like implement atmospheric meteor showers that last for an extended period of time, and make it possible for meteors made of rocks that don't exist in the VS worldgen to spawn. Beyond that it's all 'I hope to see it some day!'

I would love wilder weather as well, I am considering getting into vintage story modding, make it so that bad weather makes staying inside important, so one can also enjoy the cozyness of a warm safe home in a storm. As well as having weather effects and nights where there are no monsters because of sky being beautiful!

• Amazing! 1

6 hours ago, Shadowfire117 said:

I would love wilder weather as well, I am considering getting into vintage story modding, make it so that bad weather makes staying inside important, so one can also enjoy the cozyness of a warm safe home in a storm. As well as having weather effects and nights where there are no monsters because of sky being beautiful!

In a modpack for Minecraft (called Rebirth-of-the-Night), there was a similar event, called a Harvest Moon. The big glowing lunar coin in the sky would be a bluish-goldish hue, very bright, and the presence of it limited/nullified mob spawns. Plus crops harvested under the moon gave a little more product.

Wouldn't that be cool? :)

• Like 1

That honestly sounds pretty cool! Having access to data to the seasonal dates in the games does mean the possibility of even having specific days having specific events in the year. Which can add even more to the game as it also creates an atmosphere on multiplayer servers for holidays like a harvest festival!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/30/2021 at 9:22 PM, Travis Pluid said:

Is there any possibility for a freshly landed Meteor to smoke for a while, making it easier to find them? I've only ever been able to find one, an Iron-Chert Meteor, because it crashed into the side of a pond and caused flowing water.

I do have destructive meteors on.

Probably could do something like that, yea. I'm most worried about them becoming too easy to find. Maybe implementing that but having it turned off by default would be the way to go. Players could choose to turn it on via a config option if desired.

9 hours ago, Taska Raine said:

Probably could do something like that, yea. I'm most worried about them becoming too easy to find. Maybe implementing that but having it turned off by default would be the way to go. Players could choose to turn it on via a config option if desired.

That would be nice- it's already the minority of people that would have Destructive Meteors on anyways. Unless you're planning to make the chunks that non-destructive meteors drop also smoke if the setting is on?

• Taska Raine changed the title to Meteoric Expansion v1.0.6

Very cool! Great job!

On 1/23/2021 at 1:14 PM, l33tmaan said:

Maybe you could make a craftable item that prevents meteors from exploding within a certain area? I'd like to turn on destructive meteors too, but I'd hate for one to blow up my home. 

Adapt an idea from Terraria. If a meteorite's destructive radius will hit a chest, storage vessel, basket or other placed storage, it auto-converts to an airburst.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Stephan Jerde said:

Very cool! Great job!

Adapt an idea from Terraria. If a meteorite's destructive radius will hit a chest, storage vessel, basket or other placed storage, it auto-converts to an airburst.

I'm considering implementing a second config option like 'Destroys Claims' or something that, if set to false, simply won't touch anything within a claimed space. If ya don't claim your space, tough luck :P

For storages, the way it works now for chests and vessels, the meteor will destroy them but scatter all the contents all over the place. I find it amusing >.>;

• Taska Raine changed the title to Meteoric Expansion v1.1.0 - New Content: Smouldering Craters

Bring on the apocalypse! New content has made its way into Meteoric Expansion. This update is focused heavily on the craters that a meteorite strike would make after striking the ground. Some of the most requested features have finally made their way into the mod, including:

Craters are now much more distinguishable! Meteorites have their own unique textures now, which are cracked versions of each rock/ore variant in the game. These come in two states....smouldering, and cooled. When a meteorite first strikes, it will smoulder. It slightly glows with heat, emitting embers and smoke particles that rise high into the sky. When nearby, the rock crackles and pops as it quickly starts to cool. Just don't get too close... molten rock can burn quite fierce. Smouldering rock cools over time.

There is a new config option available that can be used to protect your structures from damage. The 'ProtectClaims' config option will prevent any damage to any terrain or structures within the claim if 'Destructive' is set to true. With this, you can safely turn on the destructive features of the mod while keeping your buildings safe. Just make sure you actually set your claims eh?

No more useless meteors! No more overwhelming amounts of uranium! It'll all have a use now. Even the silver and gold, which is are new types of meteors that can show up ^.^

Additionally, I've added some other bits and bobs that I hope you'll find handy, such as:

Ash. There's a chance to find trace amounts of ash within meteor craters that can be used as fertilizer for your crops.

Meteoric Expansion is compatible with some of the new up-and-coming metal mods found on the ModDB. You'll find More Metals and Fahl Ores meteors if you install either mod alongside Meteoric Expansion!

More config options are available! You can now adjust the horizontal and vertical speeds of meteors to make them more or less likely to strike the ground. Or, if you're feeling brave, change the scale of meteors because why not?

The latest update is available to download from a link in the main post.

• Taska Raine changed the title to Meteoric Expansion v1.1.1 - New Content: Smouldering Craters
  • 1 month later...

Saw a new one for me the other day. A block, I think 4x4 but with the corners knocked off, smouldering, sticking out of a hillside. With defaults, I hear a few each day. There are a lot that when I chase them down just have some, I don't know, sparks? that go away after a minute or two. Never do find a crater or anything.

They are not really common. I still usually end up with finding more from worldgen than from Meteoric Expansion, but I like the mod. I don't even bother looking if it is overcast. 

They're certainly rare by default, and it's not very likely that they'll reach the ground even when they do show up. They often airburst in the atmosphere.

They'll always spawn at world height around an active player in the world... so if you have a higher than default world height it's possible you may not see/hear them. Other than that, I'm not sure what else would cause them to not show up at all. I've never had a problem. I do however keep my ambient volume rather low, so it's possible their presence may be drowned out by other noise for other players

• Taska Raine changed the title to Meteoric Expansion v1.2.0 - New Content: Meteor Showers

New update time! A feature that's been requested lots in the past has made it into Meteoric Expansion.

Meteor showers!

Purely cosmetic, twinkly shooting stars can be seen in the skies as a rare occurrence. Groups of these meteors streak through the upper atmosphere as they burn, a coloured tail indicating the presence of the primary material contained within. These showers may last for a minute or two, and are a treat to behold.

Many new configuration options are available to control this new system, from the number of meteors that can spawn in the showers to how often they occur. Just load up the mod for the first time to see all the new options in your config file!

Also, it's now possible to control the horizontal and vertical speeds of the falling meteors. If you want them to hit the ground more often, increase the vertical speed! Tested to work on servers...so it shouldn't cause client disconnects this time around.

• Like 1

• Taska Raine changed the title to Meteoric Expansion v1.2.1 - New Content: Meteor Showers

Another update is available now. This one is focused on making Meteoric Expansion compatible with Vintage Story 1.17.0.

The mod now uses the cracked rock textures that are shipped in the vanilla game, and many of the mod particle systems now have been made asynchronous for better performance.

Additionally, the mod has been translated into Brazilian Portuguese thanks to @xCoiotex!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to use this for 1.17 rc5 but I'm getting a, "missing mod info.json" error in the logs. When I open the zip file, I see there's a .json file that should fit the description, but it's not recognizing it?

For what it's worth, I'm on a Mac and using From Golden Combs, Helve Hammer Extensions, Sluice Fork, and Prospector Info mods. The rest of the mods appear to function fine.

@CalebRaven

Huh...I dunno o.o

I've only ever seen this when I've intentionally placed mods in separate folders within the mods folder. Mods won't load if they're nested within other folders. Maybe the mod was downloaded in a nested zip or something?

Unfortunately, I don't have access to a Mac to test the mod on. All I can confirm is that the mod runs fine out of the box on Windows systems.

If you do figure out why this is happening, please do share the solution! If I find something I'll be sure to let you know, too

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.