Meteoric Expansion v1.2.2 - New Content: Meteor Showers

Taska Raine

The meteor mod is crashing the clients of anyone near a meteor on my server. Here is a log of the crash. Any ideas of what could be causing it?

-------------------------------
Version: v1.14.2 (Stable)12/17/2020 7:08:01 PM: Critical error occurred
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at MeteoricExpansion.MeteoricExpansionHelpers.GetMinLifespan() in C:\Projects\vsmods\mods\meteoricexpansion\src\systems\MeteoricExpansionHelpers.cs:line 55
   at MeteoricExpansion.EntityMeteor.Initialize(EntityProperties properties, ICoreAPI api, Int64 InChunkIndex3d) in C:\Projects\vsmods\mods\meteoricexpansion\src\entities\Meteor.cs:line 44
   at Vintagestory.Client.NoObf.ClientSystemEntities.entityFromPacket(_jaIUFwW2RKvoWDz37OvretAqH4d entitypacket, ClientMain game)
   at Vintagestory.Client.NoObf.ClientSystemEntities.createOrUpdateEntityFromPacket(_jaIUFwW2RKvoWDz37OvretAqH4d entitypacket, ClientMain game, Boolean addToLoadQueue)
   at Vintagestory.Client.NoObf.ClientSystemEntities.HandleEntityLoadedPacket(_yYcLwwVgddc6OWOmqOfREe6xnKd serverpacket)
   at Vintagestory.Client.NoObf.ClientMain.ExecuteMainThreadTasks(Single deltaTime)
   at _uWwiuXC8cGTH1JnsWiUY9FUaXOo._0WtXQJqGAidcdKMfPHF0OxDIauE(Single )
   at _ydpin5JFjepNgd3JOZRb2z5I5Fg._LvRZFcsDWyPwKLB1F2UK7fQ2N6d(Single )
   at _ydpin5JFjepNgd3JOZRb2z5I5Fg._GO2qaUrk9dl0IceTLiA7P4LcpAB(Single )
   at Vintagestory.Client.NoObf.ClientPlatformWindows.window_RenderFrame(Object sender, FrameEventArgs e)
   at System.EventHandler`1.Invoke(Object sender, TEventArgs e)
   at OpenTK.GameWindow.RaiseRenderFrame(Double elapsed, Double& timestamp)
   at OpenTK.GameWindow.DispatchRenderFrame()
   at OpenTK.GameWindow.Run(Double updates_per_second, Double frames_per_second)
   at _Ine8FeGTtDXciSIfaZMHMwCLKGBA._8puLW8J44fiq3A5hthQTfB8WNxc(_SbVlAI6dJIZ4JRt0da0lu23DF14 , String[] )
   at _lErb0L2e9E9htuT2VVnAsXIZqc7A._8puLW8J44fiq3A5hthQTfB8WNxc(ThreadStart )

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, MaxieMan said:

The meteor mod is crashing the clients of anyone near a meteor on my server. Here is a log of the crash. Any ideas of what could be causing it?

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at MeteoricExpansion.MeteoricExpansionHelpers.GetMinLifespan() in C:\Projects\vsmods\mods\meteoricexpansion\src\systems\MeteoricExpansionHelpers.cs:line 55
   at MeteoricExpansion.EntityMeteor.Initialize(EntityProperties properties, ICoreAPI api, Int64 InChunkIndex3d) in C:\Projects\vsmods\mods\meteoricexpansion\src\entities\Meteor.cs:line 44
   at Vintagestory.Client.NoObf.ClientSystemEntities.entityFromPacket(_jaIUFwW2RKvoWDz37OvretAqH4d entitypacket, ClientMain game)
   at Vintagestory.Client.NoObf.ClientSystemEntities.createOrUpdateEntityFromPacket(_jaIUFwW2RKvoWDz37OvretAqH4d entitypacket, ClientMain game, Boolean addToLoadQueue)
   at Vintagestory.Client.NoObf.ClientSystemEntities.HandleEntityLoadedPacket(_yYcLwwVgddc6OWOmqOfREe6xnKd serverpacket)
   at Vintagestory.Client.NoObf.ClientMain.ExecuteMainThreadTasks(Single deltaTime)
   at Vintagestory.Client.NoObf.ClientPlatformWindows.window_RenderFrame(Object sender, FrameEventArgs e)
   at _Ine8FeGTtDXciSIfaZMHMwCLKGBA._8puLW8J44fiq3A5hthQTfB8WNxc(_SbVlAI6dJIZ4JRt0da0lu23DF14 , String[] )

Yep, a mistake on my part. Clients are trying to read data that they don't have access to-it's on the server. I run my server/client tests on the same machine so the problem never popped up. I'll try to get this fixed within a days time and test it with a friend.

• Taska Raine changed the title to Meteoric Expansion v1.0.3
2 hours ago, MaxieMan said:

I just released version 1.0.3 which should fix this crash. If you have any more issues, please let me know!

Also, thank you for sharing the crash log. That information was immensely helpful.

@Streetwind@Steel Fire

I've also boosted the audio levels a bit with this update. If you try it, please let me know if you feel it's at a better level ^.^

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/17/2020 at 7:22 PM, Godogma said:

@Stefano Da GiauIs there a command that will check if this is functional? I installed it on a map I imported from 1.13 but I haven't ever seen a meteor and I've played several hours since I installed the mod. I changed the configuration to do destructive so I could get resources from meteors in the configuration file but I haven't seen one fall.

I don't really know unfortunately :3 you can try setting up the time between meteors on 1 minimum and 2 max (minutes), reduces distance in chunks on 1 minimum and 2-3 max, making them all last between 9 and 10 seconds.. That way you will have plenty of chances to see them.

As @Taska Raine asked to me, which world height did you set when you created the world? I haven't personally tested mode than 384 or something in the range, and that was fine

3 hours ago, Godogma said:

I used the standard height for the world, I'm going to have to tinker with things I think.

It's possible that there was a parsing error when the config was read due to an unexpected value or character. In that case, the mod generates a new one with default values to avoid a crash. It's possible that this was the case. Would you be able to check your config and confirm whether or not this happened?

I really have no further ideas as to what could cause it to just flat out not work at all. No errors, nothing, it's rather perplexing x3

I tested it recently with a world height of 448 recently too so world height changes ruled that out I suppose

4 hours ago, Taska Raine said:

It's possible that there was a parsing error when the config was read due to an unexpected value or character. In that case, the mod generates a new one with default values to avoid a crash. It's possible that this was the case. Would you be able to check your config and confirm whether or not this happened?

I really have no further ideas as to what could cause it to just flat out not work at all. No errors, nothing, it's rather perplexing x3

I tested it recently with a world height of 448 recently too so world height changes ruled that out I suppose

This is what my configuration file currently says:

{
  "Destructive": true,
  "MinimumMinutesBetweenMeteorSpawns": 10,
  "MaximumMinutesBetweenMeteorSpawns": 30,
  "MinimumSpawnDistanceInChunks": 1,
  "MaximumSpawnDistanceInChunks": 6,
  "MinimumMeteorLifespanInSeconds": 3,
  "MaximumMeteorLifespanInSeconds": 10
}

My tinkering is about to have that set at 1 and 5 for minutes between spawns and see if I get anything out of it.

EDIT - With the revised settings of between 1 and 5 minutes between meteor spawns I did see one fly through the air and it did seem to wreck the tops of three or four trees but I couldn't find anywhere it had actually hit the ground. So, I can confirm that MeteoricExpansion 1.0.2 works, I'll now update to 1.0.3. :)

I hadn't noticed you'd updated the mod or I'd have updated first.

I didn't hear a sizzle or a crack or anything so I don't know if it was airburst or not; which sound setting controls the meteor sounds? It might have been because I was in a windy canyon type area when I saw it... Then again, my base is in a windy canyon/bay type area.

Edited by Godogma
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Godogma said:

This is what my configuration file currently says:

{
  "Destructive": true,
  "MinimumMinutesBetweenMeteorSpawns": 10,
  "MaximumMinutesBetweenMeteorSpawns": 30,
  "MinimumSpawnDistanceInChunks": 1,
  "MaximumSpawnDistanceInChunks": 6,
  "MinimumMeteorLifespanInSeconds": 3,
  "MaximumMeteorLifespanInSeconds": 10
}

My tinkering is about to have that set at 1 and 5 for minutes between spawns and see if I get anything out of it.

EDIT - With the revised settings of between 1 and 5 minutes between meteor spawns I did see one fly through the air and it did seem to wreck the tops of three or four trees but I couldn't find anywhere it had actually hit the ground. So, I can confirm that MeteoricExpansion 1.0.2 works, I'll now update to 1.0.3. :)

I hadn't noticed you'd updated the mod or I'd have updated first.

I didn't hear a sizzle or a crack or anything so I don't know if it was airburst or not; which sound setting controls the meteor sounds? It might have been because I was in a windy canyon type area when I saw it... Then again, my base is in a windy canyon/bay type area.

The sound level slider controls the volume of meteor sounds.

I forgot about this until now... I made them stop making noises when they become derendered. There's probably a better way to handle that.

Edited by Taska Raine
  • Like 1

Alright, I finally got a nice clear impression of the meteor audio today without being distracted by anything else.

You know what it reminds me of? A creeper. It goes "hissssssssssssssss.... BOOM". It's totally a creeper. From space.

...But as amusing as that thought is, I don't think I like it much. =/

10 hours ago, Stefano Da Giau said:

The size of the impact area is the same no matter what kind of blocks the meteor hits, or does is it change? For instance, is it the same impact size whether the meteor hits a rock area or a dirt one, or is it same? And if it's the same anyway, how deep does it go? :3

The impact crater size is only dependent upon the size of the meteor. I really scaled back on the possible sizes of the meteors since the craters got exponentially larger and waaaay too destructive. You'll likely only see meteor deposits of 3x3 or 2x2 with craters slightly more than doubling those values, 7x7 and 5x5.

@Streetwind

I'm looking into improving audio ranges for the next update. Will see what I can come up with for improving the sound effect while I'm at it, too, maybe just lowering the pitch will make for a better result. We'll see x3

Edited by Taska Raine

• Taska Raine changed the title to Meteoric Expansion v1.0.4

@Streetwind@l33tmaan@Godogma

Stealthy rogue-like meteors have been banned from this mod now, and should properly announce their presence on atmosphere entry with version 1.0.4 x3

I've also completely changed the streaking sound to something less creeper-like. Yea... it sounded silly. This hiss is drastically toned down and a hearty rumble dominates things now, I will never go back...

All sounds have been given a little more depth to them and are now directional. Should be easier to find them! 

I also fixed a crash that was related to particles when meteors would explode.

Thanks for all the feedback, your input is greatly appreciated ❤️

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Hrafn Rune said:

If you've changed the default world height will that prevent the meteors from spawning?

They'll still spawn ^.^

They may go out of audio or render distance much more quickly if the world height is significantly higher. They may even start that way, but would still be doing their thing and may move into range given the proper trajectory.

10 hours ago, Hrafn Rune said:

Thank you. Yeah, I figured that out. They are spawning. Just took a while for me to see one. 

Another question: I have a nice castle with some good chiseling. If I set this to destructive, how likely is it that it could strike my base?

Not terribly likely unless your base is pretty large in scale but, you know, it'd be bound to happen eventually with the right amount of bad luck. The hobbit hole of a base I've been playing in with my partner has only had one close call, a meteor exploded maybe 20 blocks directly above it. 30 hours of play maybe?

@Lisabet mentioned in the discord yesterday that in maybe 50 hours of play on their current world their base hadn't been hit.

*Knocks on wood* x3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.