Farm Life

jakecool19

When you drop a food item to attract the animal's attention then pick up the food item, the AI will path to the location where the item was dropped then "eat" the item that was there... even though it isn't.

There should probably be some sort of check that the food item is still there and hasn't been swiped by some other entity. For reproducing the problem, I was doing this using dried grass with rams and hares. But I assume it'd happen with other foods and other critters.

Thanks for the fun mod! Appreciate your work!

On 1/6/2021 at 12:18 PM, Greylocke said:

When you drop a food item to attract the animal's attention then pick up the food item, the AI will path to the location where the item was dropped then "eat" the item that was there... even though it isn't.

There should probably be some sort of check that the food item is still there and hasn't been swiped by some other entity. For reproducing the problem, I was doing this using dried grass with rams and hares. But I assume it'd happen with other foods and other critters.

Thanks for the fun mod! Appreciate your work!

Just released 0.9.5. This will make it so that animals will only get one portion per item, so multiple animals will no longer get a portion from one item. Sorry it took so long to get back to you, I wanted to squeeze some other things in this patch to prepare for my other project that uses this as a dependency. Thank you, I'm glad you enjoy it!

• Like 1

I would really, really like a way to lure animals while they're at full saturation. Doing a sheep/pig drive across 500 blocks is rough. Like, takes several in-game weeks rough, to the point where I'm considering grabbing some local sheep instead of the generation 5 ones we have nearby.

4 hours ago, l33tmaan said:

I would really, really like a way to lure animals while they're at full saturation. Doing a sheep/pig drive across 500 blocks is rough. Like, takes several in-game weeks rough, to the point where I'm considering grabbing some local sheep instead of the generation 5 ones we have nearby.

I have added a mechanic, similar to Minecraft, where holding the food will draw animals toward you that prefer it. Though this does NOT pacify the animal, so boars and bighorns will attack if they get too close. Babies, and animals like hares and chickens will still run away if they are not generation 10, BUT...

5 hours ago, Mikhail Smaryshev said:

Mod is awesome. Just 1 question. 
Can you implement this: catching rabbits. Somehow.
I mean, to separate. Then alot rabbits in one place, it hard to kill or get only one. Or to separate male.

...I have implemented a new item called the animal handling gloves. They  are not a wearable and can be used to pick up small animals such as hares, chickens, and babies. Switching items, taking damage, attacking, or dying will cause you to drop the animal. They are somewhat high tier as they require 4 leather and two twine. It id very weird and glitchy visually.

https://imgur.com/a/RQS01BW

Edited by jakecool19
  • Like 1
  • Amazing! 1

1 hour ago, Lisabet said:

Is there any chance your mod is interfering with the capture animals mod?  I'm no longer able to make the sheep/chicken/pigs cages for that one, and farm life is the only new mod that deals with animals that I've picked up.

I do not see how as my mod only modify animal behaviors, not the animals themselves, but I will look into it.

EDIT: It is an incompatibility with it. I'll speak with the mod maker to find out what it is.

Edited by jakecool19
  • Thanks 1

wow, you weren't kidding about male hares being "competitive". I woke up to find that one of the babies matured into a male overnight and murdered all his siblings by morning. 

shock. horror. breakfast.

I'm fairly new to Farm Life... should I separate all the babies to see which ones mature into males? Was this just one horrible but unusual incident? Maybe a male hare's aggression could be linked to their satiation so that if the bunnies are well-fed, a Rabbit Rancher would have time to ID the males and pull them from the litter?

Hey Jakecool, I really like your mod! 
Except.... I had a pigsplosion and now there is poop everywhere.
I don't really ever use it to begin with so it's just a real annoyance to me at this point. I do like the idea and the realism of it but I also wish I could turn it off in my current game. Is there an easy way to turn off poop spawning in a config file? If not, would you consider making it possible in a future version? 
Also, it would be nice if poop could be put into a barrel to be turned into compost in the same way as rot.

Edited by Monahven

I could imagine a Manure Bin item that would hold 128 (2 stacks of 64) "manure units". Small poop would be 1 unit, Medium is 2 and Large is 4 manure units. Use the bin as storage or place 1 block of soil and one stack of manure and seal it to make 2 compost over time.

• Like 2

Sorry this took a while I am back in school and have been working on other projects, but version 0.98 is out. This will make poop more convenient by causing the larger variants to drop the small for better storage, the ability to disable poop, and the ability to much more faster and efficiently make compost from poop. This will also help baby hares survive better by causing them to flee from male hares preemptively. Finally, in order to use this mod with Capture animals you will need to have Compatibility Lib installed. 

• Like 2

Um, I'm not sure if it's this mod doing it, but I've only updated this one, survival categories and the teleportation network mods.  As far as I know only yours changes creatures in any way.  I'm having ghostly animals (and for a bit the drifters as well but they solidified after awhile)

ghostpig.png

ghostsheep.png

On 1/24/2021 at 1:09 AM, Lisabet said:

Um, I'm not sure if it's this mod doing it, but I've only updated this one, survival categories and the teleportation network mods.  As far as I know only yours changes creatures in any way.  I'm having ghostly animals (and for a bit the drifters as well but they solidified after awhile)

ghostpig.png

ghostsheep.png

Ill have to look into that, my mod does nothing related to temporal system and that is not happening with mine, so it might be some type of incompatibility or another mod.

@jakecool19 we are experiencing a severe drop in performance on our server with many animals starving and trying to get through the wall for food.  Could you solve this somehow?  I think it will be difficult to implement an obstacle check, but at least an increase cooldown before a new search for food, if it is impossible to access it for a long time?

Gloves also work very buggy, especially if the animal is hungry.  Perhaps you should look at an implementation like CarryCapacity?  Mountable is actually not fully implemented and is used only by a static block - a bed.

Edited by DArkHekRoMaNT

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.