Expanded Foods 1.6.8

l33tmaan

That is extremely weird, but if there's liquid in an output slot you should be able to take it out with a container. Open the fire pit, grab the container with the mouse, hover over and right-click on the output slot where the liquid is. That should pick it up. (But not by holding the bucket in your character's hand and clicking on the fire pit in the world.)

14 minutes ago, Ari said:

That is extremely weird, but if there's liquid in an output slot you should be able to take it out with a container. Open the fire pit, grab the container with the mouse, hover over and right-click on the output slot where the liquid is. That should pick it up. (But not by holding the bucket in your character's hand and clicking on the fire pit in the world.)

Yup, right clicked on the output area with both bottles and buckets, can't pick it up.  I'll try a different liquid.edit: nevermind, can't make any other liquids because I don't know how.  Is there a recipe list anywhere for things like vegetable broth?

Aside from that, we put dropped resin into a saucepan from a Spile, waited for it to harden, and now it's stuck in the saucepan.  Can't take it out using all variations of left and right clicking with shift and ctrl.

Edited by Barnaby

Once I pick it up the liquid with my hands, I can then throw it into a pot with .6ML in each of the 4 input sections.  Then I can grab it with a bucket or a bottle using right click while having the bucket in my cursor. 

I keep throwing the loose liquid into the pot and grabbing it with the bottle until it's all in a bottled container.  The reason why I can't have it loose is because I can't use my hands to put a full 1L in for recipes, it only goes in as .6ML until I bottle it.  Bottles and Buckets are able to throw in whole liters into a Pot.

Edited by Barnaby

1 hour ago, Ari said:

Does making vinegar with berries not work? The handbook says put vinegar in a barrel with 3 berries but that isn't doing anything for me. No recipe comes up and it won't let me seal it.

Are you using 0.1 L of vinegar per 3 berries?

1 hour ago, Barnaby said:

A different bug though, if you right click water with a bottle, then right click water again the same bottle the bottle will disappear.

That's weird, I haven't seen that happen before. I'll try and replicate it./

12 hours ago, l33tmaan said:

Are you using 0.1 L of vinegar per 3 berries?

Oh, no, I was using 1 L. The handbook just says "place 3 berries/pineapple slices and vinegar in a barrel". Since I'm bucketing things between barrels and the default amount of liquid to transfer with a bucket is 1 L I assumed that's how much was required. Looks like it does work if I use 0.1 L instead, although I don't know if it's really worth doing it this way.

Normal method: 2.5 stacks of berries yields: 50 L of wine (+ some dried fruit) -> 50 L of vinegar (3 weeks total)

"Fast" method: 63 berries + 2.1 L of vinegar -> 4.2 L of vinegar (1 week total) (increase of only 2.1 L)

So in one barrel, in three weeks, I can either make 50 L of vinegar the normal way (at the cost of 160 berries, plus you get some dried fruit as a bonus), or 6.2 L total the "fast" way (at the cost of 189 berries). Basically, unless you need a very tiny amount of vinegar very quickly, the "fast" method is more expensive in every way.

If the recipe used 1 L per 3 berries instead of 0.1 L, it would be more useful. Then I could turn 21 L into 42 L with 63 berries in one week.

I'd reword the handbook text for vinegar overall by the way. At the moment it says it takes "2 weeks in a barrel or 1 week the fast way" but the "fast" way is also done in a barrel.

Maybe: "There are two methods to making vinegar: seal wine in spirits in a barrel to let it ferment for two weeks, which results in 1 L of vinegar per L of wine, or seal 3 berries per 0.1 L of vinegar in a barrel to double the amount of vinegar in one week."

I'm really digging into that handbook and trying every recipe I can find. :D There aren't many I haven't tried yet, but I still have a few to go. Unfortunately I can't make sushi because the mod that lets you farm seaweed no longer works. So far my favorite thing to do is to just make Super-Muffins, putting milk, egg, and oil into the dough, then packing them with berries, and then topping them with syrup, so they give you every type of nutrition and a few HP. They take a while to make (and a lot of ingredients that you can't get early game) so they do feel balanced, but I enjoy the cooking so I spend hours baking up big batches of muffins for the other players on my server to take with them when they go out mining and hunting. :P

Edited by Ari
  • Like 2

The fried stuff is also very powerful, but I find it more of a hassle to make large amounts of (mainly the step involving baking a ton of bread then grinding it all up into breadcrumbs) so I tend to default to the muffins instead. It was a game changer when I finally realized I could boil it in oil rather than coating it in oil then having to bake it in an oven though! :D Such a time saver.

• Like 1

Thanks for your patience, everyone! I'm releasing it now and I'll update the first post tomorrow, since it's way too late here.

Updated to 1.6.4!

• Added Compote
  • Added Acorn "Coffee" & Roasted Acorns
  • Added Candied Fruit
  • Added herbal bread crumbs
  • Japanese translation updated (thanks to macoto_hino)
  • Vanilla & wildcraft wine/cider/spirits now have sat in meals
  • Handbook mentions you can get resin from acacia trees
  • Added item description to resin
  • You can no longer crack boiled/pickled eggs
  • Pickled or boiled eggs can be added to scrambled eggs
  • Charred syrup-covered fruit bread recipe fixed
  • Lard transition timer reduced from 1440 hours to 240
  • Peanuts now visible in meals
  • Dehydrated fruits cure into the same amount of dried fruits (whoops); dehydrated fruit grid recipe nerfed to compensate
  • Yogurt reviewed - Mixing bowl outputs 0.1 L of liquid instead of 10 mL; made into ExpandedLiquid (has issues with meals but should be drinkable now); nutrition nerfed
  • Peanut butter & peanut sauce output corrected; peanut butter nutrition nerfed
  • Gelatin textures updated
  • Fast vinegar barrel recipe reworked; handbook updated
  • Alcohol text appears in meals
  • Log spam reduced
  • Wildcraft berries fixed in oven
  • Wildcraft gelatin recipes fixed
  • Brambleberry changed to blackberry
  • Birch and pine bread no longer has broken amounts of nutrition, kneading recipe requires 4 flour instead of 1
  • Like 1
  • Amazing! 2

• l33tmaan changed the title to Expanded Foods 1.6.4
On 12/6/2022 at 4:30 AM, l33tmaan said:

Thanks for your patience, everyone! I'm releasing it now and I'll update the first post tomorrow, since it's way too late here.

Updated to 1.6.4!

• Added Compote
  • Added Acorn "Coffee" & Roasted Acorns
  • Added Candied Fruit
  • Added herbal bread crumbs
  • Japanese translation updated (thanks to macoto_hino)
  • Vanilla & wildcraft wine/cider/spirits now have sat in meals
  • Handbook mentions you can get resin from acacia trees
  • Added item description to resin
  • You can no longer crack boiled/pickled eggs
  • Pickled or boiled eggs can be added to scrambled eggs
  • Charred syrup-covered fruit bread recipe fixed
  • Lard transition timer reduced from 1440 hours to 240
  • Peanuts now visible in meals
  • Dehydrated fruits cure into the same amount of dried fruits (whoops); dehydrated fruit grid recipe nerfed to compensate
  • Yogurt reviewed - Mixing bowl outputs 0.1 L of liquid instead of 10 mL; made into ExpandedLiquid (has issues with meals but should be drinkable now); nutrition nerfed
  • Peanut butter & peanut sauce output corrected; peanut butter nutrition nerfed
  • Gelatin textures updated
  • Fast vinegar barrel recipe reworked; handbook updated
  • Alcohol text appears in meals
  • Log spam reduced
  • Wildcraft berries fixed in oven
  • Wildcraft gelatin recipes fixed
  • Brambleberry changed to blackberry
  • Birch and pine bread no longer has broken amounts of nutrition, kneading recipe requires 4 flour instead of 1

oh gawd

Where do we find the instructions for making compote and acorn coffee? I don't see them described in the handbook or on the first post in this thread. It would be wonderful if all the recipes were visible via the handbook but I'm guessing it would take a lot of work to add them all in?

By the way, the handbook says seaweed sheets can be dried in a firepit but that doesn't seem to work. They only dry out in the oven.

Edited by Ari

12 hours ago, Ari said:

Where do we find the instructions for making compote and acorn coffee? I don't see them described in the handbook or on the first post in this thread. It would be wonderful if all the recipes were visible via the handbook but I'm guessing it would take a lot of work to add them all in?

By the way, the handbook says seaweed sheets can be dried in a firepit but that doesn't seem to work. They only dry out in the oven.

Oh, I goofed and forgot to tell people what the recipe for acorn coffee is. My apologies. It's just 0.1 L of water with 1 portion of acorn powder boiled in a saucepan or cauldron. Acorn powder is made by grinding up roasted acorns. Compote is in Cooking 103.

The seaweed thing is a vanilla issue. NOTHING in the game says you can bake it in the oven, it says the firepit instead. 

Oh wow really? I assumed the seaweed sheets were added by this mod. I will have to take my complaints to Tyron then to change "firepit" to "oven" since the firepit absolutely does not work. 😂

I see the compote now, thanks. Somehow missed it when I was looking through before. And thanks for the coffee recipe! That should be fun to make :D

18 hours ago, Ari said:

Oh wow really? I assumed the seaweed sheets were added by this mod. I will have to take my complaints to Tyron then to change "firepit" to "oven" since the firepit absolutely does not work. 😂

They are added by this mod. But you may notice that bread also says the same thing. Or fruit, since you can only bake it to make dried fruit. Please complain to Tyron!

13 hours ago, EreticKB said:

l33tmaan, i hate you. I make so many meals and i wanna taste them in real life now, but they still in game only. :)

You could... make them in real life, you know. 😜

• Cookie time 2

• 2 weeks later...

First of all Merry Christmas.

Second @l33tmaan I finally found some time for VS and went to my test world with the latest ACA and EF. Remember the following bug report?

On 11/16/2022 at 12:31 AM, Hells Razer said:

So, @l33tmaan I have a bug report for you:

The vegetable stew with dumplings and breadcrumbs gives less satiety than it says it should. It says it should give 1405 satiety but gave me 837. 
The dumplings were made with water, spelt flour, eggs and aged meat nuggets.

2022-11-16_00-03-43.png

2022-11-16_00-03-55.png

It still happens. :(

• Like 1

Yes, that was the most recent thing I was looking at before I left on christmas break. I figured I should release ACA with the updates I'd made since I won't be doing anything for a couple weeks. Merry Christmas! :D 

Oh yeah, I won't be on Discord until I get back, either. Says I need to claim an account or something.

Edited by l33tmaan
  • Thanks 1

Hey happy New Year everyone 🥳

Seems like I might have stumbled across an issue in the current version of expanded foods with vinegar.
Either the handbook is lying or someone made an oopsie.
image.png.f19d81a9a5de8737001b6dc38a341080.png

No recipe exists to turn berries directly into vinegar in a barrel. I've checked a way old version and there was something like

{
	code: "vinegarbrine",
	sealHours: 672,
	ingredients: [
		{ type: "item", code: "fruit-*", name: "fruit", quantity: 6, allowedVariants: ["blueberry", "cranberry", "redcurrant", "whitecurrant", "blackcurrant", "saguaro" ] },
	],
	output: { type: "item", code: "vinegarportion", stackSize: 1 }
}

but the current version does not have any recipe where you can go from plain fruit to vinegar. The closest is

{
	code: "fastvinegarbrine",
	sealHours: 168,
	ingredients: [
		{ type: "item", code: "vinegarportion",  litres: 1 },
		{ type: "item", code: "fruit-*", name: "fruit", quantity: 3 },
	],
	output: { type: "item", code: "vinegarportion", litres: 2 }
}

but you need vinegar for that 😉

So someone either needs to fix the handbook or the recipes.

Sidenote: Why does winevinegar.json contain dozens of distinct recipes, and not just two wildcard ones?

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.