The Wilderlands

A challenging, rugged world for those who enjoy a certain level of solo play as they explore a vast wilderness; carving out their own domain while collaborating with others in the world from time to time for larger projects, community events/competitions, and engaging in trade.

The Wilderlands world:

• A rugged world featuring heavily forested, large plains interspersed with vast mountain ranges up to 512 blocks in height and many huge lakes verging on seas. 
  • No main map or coordinate system make travel in the wilderness a bit precarious. A coordinate free mini-map is available to use if you like, but waypoints have been removed and the map zoom feature has been reduced in scalability.
  • Drifter spawn rate increased by 50%. Bell and locust spawn rate also increased slightly.
  • Market trade stall functionality
  • More deadly foes- Enemy strength increased by 50%, with a slight buff to player health points.
  • Hunger rate reduced by 50%.
  • 30 day months.
  • One game-day lasts 4 real-life hours. 6 game-days per real day, and 30 game-day months. One full game year last two real-life months, but pass faster the more nights are slept through.
  • 12 player slots, with ability to increase as needed.
  • Time passes in-game.

The server is lightly modded.  The goal of the server is to remain as close to the vanilla content of the game as possible, and so any mods are very carefully chosen.  With the addition of the minimal mapping and tradeomat mods, the vanilla content is un-altered.  The only addition to the game are market stalls and coins, which are made from cast copper, silver, or gold in clay molds, and which can be smelted back down for use for other things if you find yourself rich and needing the coin for other things. The only other mod in consideration is one that will add three types of compasses to help navigate the world of the Wilderlands, but it is not ready yet.

For full details on server settings, click the spoiler tab:

Spoiler
  • Explore a huge world- 1mill x 1mill blocks in size. Teleporters located at spawn linking to locations 30k north, south, east and west, with a portal to the Mountain Home as well.
  • 12 player slots, with intention to increase slots as server needs desire, with a goal to have max of 30 slots. Server hosted by Citadel hosting services.
  • Very lightly modded server. Two mods in use: Minimalmapping mod, to greatly scale back mapping feature in the game, and the Trade-O-Mat mod, to provide a secure way for trade market stalls and such. Both mods can be found in the forums, or you can find links to them in our Discord page: https://discord.gg/DgwfgsSbr5
  • Main map and coordinates systems have been disabled, and mini-map functions reduced. Only area immediately around player is visible. Coordinates have been removed, and zoom function also reduced in scale. Pinning waypoints feature has also been removed.  All done through a minimal mapping mod custom-made for our server.
  • Spawn rate of temporal related hostiles increased. Drifter spawn rates have been increased by 50%.  Bell and locust spawn rates have also been increased a bit.
  • Non temporal creatures' strength reduced a tad. Wolves and other non temporal related creatures have had their attack strength nerfed a bit.  They are still stronger than their vanilla counterparts due to the 150% strength setting applied to the server, but the edge has been taken off of them a bit. Strength bonus applied to server was mostly meant to make drifters and related baddies more dangerous.
  • Market stall trade mechanics added that allow for trade even when players are not present or even online. (Via the Trade-O-Mat mod).
  • A measured pace- 4 hour long game days, yielding 6 days per 24hrs.  Plenty of daylight or dark, depending on where you settle. Nights and winters are very long as you near the polar regions.
  • 30 day months.  With the reduced server clock, this means each season lasts about 2 weeks.  Discounting any sleeping to pass nights more quickly, this means about two real life months for a full game year.
  • Tree and bush spawn rate increased 30%
  • Sapling growth rate has been increased to 18 days
  • Creature attack strength has been increased 50%
  • Player health points increased to 25 (Result is that your character is tougher over-all with regard to damage incurred by environment- starvation, freezing, falling, etc, and hostile critters deal a bit more damage. Pick your battles with care),
  • Hunger rate reduced by 50%  With the slowing down of the server clock, this was needed as hunger speeds did not feel like they adjusted fully with the slower passage of time.
  • Block gravity effects sand, gravel AND soil, (so watch your step on those steep hillsides, and cob is your new best friend)
  • Microblock chiseling has been enabled for most blocks
  • Tool durability has been doubled
  • Propick Node search set to 8
  • Land claiming is available
  • Time passes when empty. Given the world clock has been slowed down though, food spoilage rates and such have also been expanded a reasonable time.  An unsealed crock of food stored in a proper pantry, for example, lasts about  30-ish game days, which is about 5 real life days (depending on if nights are skipped by players sleeping on the server).

All other game settings have been left at default.

If this sounds intriguing to you, feel free to join us on our Discord channel: https://discord.gg/DgwfgsSbr5
Or drop me a note here in the forums. I check back here often.

Looking forward...
~TH~

Edited by Thalius
Updated info
  • Thalius changed the title to The Wilderlands- 1.14.7 Server (PVE)

The VS hosting service recently enabled world config options at world gen, including the ability to set world height.  After discussing it with the current server community, there was huge support for resetting the server to a world with a higher ceiling.  And so, the Wilderlands server was reset yesterday evening.  This will be the only foreseeable reset.

World config settings are still the same as laid out in the original post, and the world height is set to 512.  Some pretty impressive geology very near to spawn. ;)

Currently there are 12 players whitelisted into the server, which supports 6 player slots at a time.  We have players from diverse time zones though, and have not yet experienced overcrowding.  If crowding does begin to seem eminent, further whitelisting will have to be delayed until VS hosting services offer the option to increase player slots.  Feel free to join the Discord channel though, if what you are hearing sounds interesting.  When player slot limits are raised, the Discord community will get first call on them.

~TH~

Edited by Thalius
  • Thalius changed the title to The Wilderlands- 1.14.8 Server (PVE)

Greetings!

The Wilderlands server has been updated to the current stable version (1.14.8). 

Currently there are 18 players whitelisted into the server, but we are not yet experiencing any crowding issues.  A few of us are on fairly regularly throughout the day with others joining from time to time.  The player population is pretty spread out at the moment, but not too far from spawn.

Around the spawn area a village setting is slowly unfolding, but much of the world remains untouched.  So far there are a lot of lone wolves, you might say, but I expect that in time small villages will spring up around the various outposts that have been set up by the early player base.  Now is a good time to join if you enjoy a more measured pace and a smaller but active Vintage Story community.

Hope to see some of you in the Wilderlands soon...

~TH~

If you would like to know more, feel free to ask. You may also want to consider joining our Discord channel: https://discord.gg/DgwfgsSbr5

2021-02-22_10-29-45.png

Edited by Thalius

Greetings! 

A quick update on a few changes to the server settings...

After a few weeks of playing around on the settings listed in the OP, we decided to slow the clock down to allow for 4hour long game days.  This gives about 6 game days per 24hr period. This allows for a much more relaxing time for players working long stretches during the daylight, and more time in the dark for those that enjoy dealing with the things that go bump in the night.

Tree sapling growth has also been adjusted to 45 days rather than 90, leaving the same amount of real life time required to spawn new trees, but halving the in game day requirement.

In other news:
a group of us have found a fantastic area far to the north and relocated there.  A rugged, grassy mountain valley surrounded on all sides but the entrance by a sprawling and very high mountain range- one of the largest I've ever found in the game to date, even on my private games.  It is a cold, dynamic location close to the arctic but still habitable with some effort.  A challenge, but an enjoyable one.  Spawn location has not changed and is in a much warmer climate zone, but if you like a good challenge and want to join us in the north, I can teleport you to our location.

That is all for now.

~TH~

Wilderlands.png

Don't let our fourth or fifth place on the forum multiplayer thread fool you.
The Wilderlands is alive and well. The other larger server threads keep bumping us down.
No hard feelings though. A little friendly competition on the boards is good for moral. ;)

Posted (edited)

Greetings!
We have updated the original post, with some new details.

Also, spring has sprung! 
With the slower passing of the game year (two full months for one year to pass), this is a big deal! 

Also added a few teleporters at spawn, enabling players to jump 30k blocks in each direction to new staging points.  There is also a link to the Mountain Home, located in an awesome mountain valley to the north. One of the largest masses of mountain range I've found in any game world so far.

If you have been thinking about exploring the Wilderlands and think you might be up to the challenge, now is a great time to begin.

.Looking forward to seeing you there.

~TH~

Below is the Mountain Home, in colder regions to the north. Spring has arrived, but the snow will be slow leaving, here.  A challenging place to live, but beautiful.

MountainHome_First_Days_of_Spring.png

Edited by Thalius
Posted (edited)

Greetings!
Another update for The Wilderlands...

Big changes!

We have changed hosting services!  Since it's start, The Wilderlands has been using the VS hosting services that have been in testing phase. I want to say that the Vintage Story hosting service that will go live soon has been fantastic.  For families and small friend groups, it will serve its purpose well.  Thank you to Tyron and the gang for bringing that service to the Vintage Story experience!

The Wilderlands is acquiring a community that will require a few things not yet available via the VS hosting service though- larger player slot options for one. I know VS hopes to offer that down the road as demand grows, but The Wilderlands needs the expanded slots now.  One day, hopefully, the Wilderlands can return to hosting by Vintage Story.  We'll be keeping our eyes on progress there! ;)

The hosting change affords us the ability to do a few things- namely, increased player slots.  The server now has 12 player slots, with ability to expand as server needs demand.  Max of 30 slots is a loose goal.  Server is still whitelisted, and you will need to join our Discord page for that.  https://discord.gg/DgwfgsSbr5

Server is now also lightly modded! This allows us to scale back the mapping function in the game to make wilderness exploration a bit more dangerous and complicated, since you can get lost now, but without removing all navigation helps altogether, so it is a little bit easier than it otherwise would be to get un-lost.  We have also added the Tradeomat mod for an added, and strongly desired, mechanism for secure, 24/7 trade availability.  Links to the needed mods are also on our Discord page, or can be found with a little effort in the game forums.

See the OP for all the details, which I updated a short while ago.

~TH~

Edited by Thalius

Hi Thalius,

I usually avoid mods for various reasons, so I'm quite interested in your lightly-modded world. My friend (Ory) and I are new players, but we like figuring things on our own. We don't really know how things will turn out, but we hope to enjoy a hard survival and constructive long-term experience with your community. Please tell us how to join your server if you're OK with us.

Washidukami and Ory (both are game and forum account names)

1 hour ago, Washidukami said:

Hi Thalius,

I usually avoid mods for various reasons, so I'm quite interested in your lightly-modded world. My friend (Ory) and I are new players, but we like figuring things on our own. We don't really know how things will turn out, but we hope to enjoy a hard survival and constructive long-term experience with your community. Please tell us how to join your server if you're OK with us.

Washidukami and Ory (both are game and forum account names)

Glad to have you both join the Wilderlands community.  Many things are still in the beginning stages, but things are moving steadily.  I spoke with Ory in Discord and I understand you can't join us there. I'll message you via the forums if I need to reach you directly and I don't see you in the game, but will otherwise pass anything else along through Ory. Feel free to message me directly as well if you have any questions or issues arise.

May you survive long and prosper. ;)

~TH~

Edited by Thalius

Spawn rate of drifters, bells and locusts were increased after community discussion on the subject of making the Wilderlands a more enjoyable and challenging experience. 50% boost to drifter spawn rate.  Bells and locusts will also spawn a bit more frequently.

See OP for more details.

Welcome to a more dangerous world...

~TH~

Edited by Thalius