Useful Stuff

jakecool19

I run a small 1.4.10 server for just me and 2 friends. Just updated this yesterday to 1.9 and as soon as anyone mines rock or ore the server stops responding. The only way we could get it to stay up is to disable cave ins, gasses, the new locust enemies, and POSSIBLY the breath bar. I turned off everything new and it was stable so we decided to just play instead of keep messing with it.

I get home in 4 hours and can post log files if needed. Nothing was pointing to this mod specifically, or any mod really. I just tried disabling new features as it's the only thing that changed when it started crashing.

2 hours ago, Kevin C said:

I run a small 1.4.10 server for just me and 2 friends. Just updated this yesterday to 1.9 and as soon as anyone mines rock or ore the server stops responding. The only way we could get it to stay up is to disable cave ins, gasses, the new locust enemies, and POSSIBLY the breath bar. I turned off everything new and it was stable so we decided to just play instead of keep messing with it.

I get home in 4 hours and can post log files if needed. Nothing was pointing to this mod specifically, or any mod really. I just tried disabling new features as it's the only thing that changed when it started crashing.

Please give me the crash report, once you can

I'll double check once I get home from work but the server never technically crashed so im not sure if it even generated a crash log. It just went totally unresponsive until it disconnected everyone. Console log acted as if everything was normal, usual client disconnect messages. Can't reconnect until it reboots though.

edit: Unfortunately I do not have any crash logs, and the normal logs have been overwritten since we disabled features and started playing. I've updated to 1.9.2 and re-enabled everything at default values. I will update if it happens again.

edit again: Ok now with 1.9.2 I can't even connect to a server I crash and generate a log, which i've attached. Starting a single player world just makes it hang forever and go not responding, but it doesn't generate a crash log.

client-crash.txt

Edited by Kevin C

7 hours ago, TaroEld said:

Hello, is it intended that a basic down staircase will eventually cave in? As in, digging diagonally down in a staircase pattern.

Also, do you prefer pings on discord or posts here?

Yes, everytime you mine there is a chance of a cave in. If it is a bug/issue it would be best here as I can keep track of it better here

Hi jakecool19

My Game Version is 1.14.10

i want to ask the following question, because i am not able to start a singleplayer world with your modpack on my old laptop.

I used already a big bunch of mods in combination without any problems. When i want to start a new world with every self added mod deactivated and just your mod activated, the world never show up. no matter how long i wait.

Perhaps is my Laptop to bad for all these gases and other stuff, thats why i want to ask you if it's possible to get Bendy Chutes, Shields, Sluice, Glider and Climbing Pick as single Content files?

Or perhaps just the existing Pack where all the other content is deactivated?
I really want to try out the mentioned contents from your Mod :)

Greetz SAM

It's really cool that you added gases simulation to the game. I'm thinking that the players will need some way of mitigating the danger of those gases which might otherwise make cave exploration near-impossible.

I did some research, and curiously the most ancient way to ventilate mines was to light fires at the bottom so that the heat would create a ventilating draft. At the beginning they used brushwood fires. During the 19th century, the same principle was still in application in the form of large furnaces with a dedicated shaft, with openings that could be adjusted to control the ventilation. I imagine it will be a challenge to integrate into your simulation, but since we already have fires and furnaces in the game, these would seem like the ideal tools to evacuate gases.

There's also the good old canary in a cage, which gave an early warning of toxic gases when it stopped singing, since it's more sensitive to them than humans. Not that I would enjoy doing this to a poor canary, even simulated, but it would be a nice touch of realism.

Since you're simulating gases, more elaborate water than what the game has now doesn't sound too far-fetched? From my readings it was the other big challenge when mining - and since we have mechanical power, pumps to evacuate the water could easily be a thing. I guess the first step would be to make water less easy to block off with a single block - blocks newly placed in water should be tested against adjacent pressure or something, before "solidifying". And perhaps discrete water can be simulated in the same way as discrete gases - though pumping out infinite flowing water sounds closer to real-life challenges than eliminating a set amount.

Those are ambitious ideas, so if not already I hope you make your mod open-source so your work can inspire others and so you can find contributors, at least for bugfixes ;) .

On 5/3/2021 at 11:43 AM, jakecool19 said:

A cool new update based on a suggestion from the awesome Twitch streamer @Dundra from DundraTV, special arrows!

• Fire Arrow: Will ignite entities on impact, will not ignite blocks. Turns into a regular arrow after use if it doesn't break. Crafted with a torch, fat, and any arrow in the crafting grid.
  • Beenade Arrow: Will release bees on impact. Turns into a regular arrow after use if it doesn't break. Crafted with a beenade and any arrow in the crafting grid.
  • Explosive Arrow: Detonates on impact, cannot be used to mine ore. Arrow is destroyed after use. Crafted with an ore blasting bomb and any arrow in the crafting grid. NOTE: Unfortunately, due to the current VS system not allowing more than 1 hit every half second(500ms) if an entity is hit directly they will only take damage from the arrow itself and not the explosion. If you want them to take explosive damage aim as close to the feet as you can without hitting them.

Besides the already suggested rope arrows, water arrows to extinguish torches would be cool. I don't know if PvP servers are a thing but it would be an obvious application. Otherwise, it could be used for a future stealth system like in Thief games. Same with noise arrows to attract monsters away from you.

6 hours ago, Simon Hardtke said:

Hi jakecool19

My Game Version is 1.14.10

i want to ask the following question, because i am not able to start a singleplayer world with your modpack on my old laptop.

I used already a big bunch of mods in combination without any problems. When i want to start a new world with every self added mod deactivated and just your mod activated, the world never show up. no matter how long i wait.

Perhaps is my Laptop to bad for all these gases and other stuff, thats why i want to ask you if it's possible to get Bendy Chutes, Shields, Sluice, Glider and Climbing Pick as single Content files?

Or perhaps just the existing Pack where all the other content is deactivated?
I really want to try out the mentioned contents from your Mod :)

Greetz SAM

You need to use 1.9.2c in order for 1.14.10, that is the only one of the recent ones for 1.14.10. The rest on the moddb are for 1.15, but the moddb does not have a 1.15 tag currently.

On 6/24/2021 at 2:39 PM, jakecool19 said:

Go to the config and set GasesEnabled to false. If you do not see the option, delete the config, and load up a world to generate a new one

Mind giving me the step by step for this? This is one part of modding for VS that I haven't gotten yet, where are the config files?

6 hours ago, jakecool19 said:

You need to use 1.9.2c in order for 1.14.10, that is the only one of the recent ones for 1.14.10. The rest on the moddb are for 1.15, but the moddb does not have a 1.15 tag currently.

Oh, sorry. I didn't mentioned... I already tried the 1.9.2c version for 1.14.10 ... Same problem, clean new world, just your mod activated - world won't show up, just stuck in an endless loading screen.

12 hours ago, Nomedable said:

Mind giving me the step by step for this? This is one part of modding for VS that I haven't gotten yet, where are the config files?

If you are on Windows, type %appdata% in the search bar and open the folder that comes up. Scroll down and open a folder called VintagestoryData, then in that folder open another folder called ModConfig, and in there should be configs for mods that support it. The one for this mod is called UsefulStuffConfig.

9 hours ago, Simon Hardtke said:

Oh, sorry. I didn't mentioned... I already tried the 1.9.2c version for 1.14.10 ... Same problem, clean new world, just your mod activated - world won't show up, just stuck in an endless loading screen.

Can you provide a crash log?

• Thanks 1

I really like the features but unfortunately I'm running into an issue with this. After a few minutes of playing I cannot interact with containers anymore and items don't drop anymore when breaking blocks.

Currently trying to figure out if something is triggering it. 

5 hours ago, Eike Wehner said:

I really like the features but unfortunately I'm running into an issue with this. After a few minutes of playing I cannot interact with containers anymore and items don't drop anymore when breaking blocks.

Currently trying to figure out if something is triggering it. 

What version of the mod are you using, and what version of the game are you on?

Hello guys, I have a sortaish big announcement to make. I am splitting this mod into two and tomorrow I will release an update for this and release a new mod called Lands of Chaos for alpha testing. This mod will focus on making enhancements to world overall. What this means is that a good portion of content from this mod that don't really fit the scope of "useful stuff" will be going into that one, specifically, the breathing system, gases, cave in system, locust hordes, the locust variants, the tree size multiplier, default cave multipliers, and the clockmaker boss will all be apart of Lands of Chaos from this point forward. In addition to that, Lands of Chaos will also feature large, deep oceans, two new aquatic plants, sea grass and kelp, two new aquatic creatures snails and starfish, plus their many color and shape variants, underwater wrecks/ruins and noise generated large caves, that should be more efficient than the old Crazy caves. And of course a config will be available to enable and disable the different parts of worldgen and entity spawning, and a remap that should hopefully automatically remap the old Useful stuff gas, locust hordes, and support beams to its versions. As said before this will be an alpha mod though so I can gather feedback and also allot time to update Farm Life and Expanded Foods to 1.15.

As for Useful Stuff, it will maintain all the blocks and items that purely enhance gameplay, such as the sluice, and shield. In addition to that tomorrow's update will contain a fix for a crash related to arrows, and a tool and tool head recycling mechanic allowing you to grind them in the quern to get some metal bits back, and breaking metal tools will also drop some metal bits. Finally it will also add a multiblock pottery kiln, allowing for faster and more efficient clay baking. Note: All of this is for 1.15, I will no longer be supporting 1.14.

• Like 2
  • Amazing! 1

don't know if this is intentional or not but it seems like the gliders headwind/tailwind feature affects the player even if they are not using a glider. I am running 1.15.0rc1 with the 1.9.2 version of useful stuff and while trying to walk in a straight line my character gets pushed sideways. Is there a way to turn this off. 

P.S. only about 95% sure it is this mod causing this as this is the only mod I have that messes with wind affecting player motion in any way.

• Haha 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.