Some love for the arctic

As the title suggests, I feel that the arctic areas need some love.  Not a whole lot up there except ice and snow and cold, with a sparse scattering of arctic foxes. All good so far.

A few additions would be fitting, and nice to have.  I'd suggest the following:

-Fur Seals.  These should be found around open water areas and yield furs suitable for arctic-worthy clothing. (Add furs to the game as an item for use in making extreme cold weather coats, fur boots, fur gloves, fur hats, etc). They should also yield large amounts of fat/oil and a good amount of meat.

-Leopard seals. Also found in the arctic close to water. They should be very rare.  Good source of hides as well as large amounts of fat and meat.  Also very dangerous, but slow on land.  Deadly if encountered in the water. Probably should be included when we get a lake/ocean update.

-Polar bears.  I feel these almost need to be a must-have.  The primary predator of the far north.  They should hunt players down over long distances and follow them over long distances as well once they aggro on the player.  They would be a great source of fat, meat, and large furs and hides.

-Arctic hares.  A rabbit that likes it cold.  I'd imagine they would show up more in the southern arctic zones where pine trees still show up from time to time.

And a fifth suggestion just for the fun of it-
-Walrus.  They would just be fun to have around making noise.

Humbly submitted for consideration...
~TH~

Edited by Thalius
  • Like 2

Tbh i don't think polar bears should actively hunt player characters (but on the other side that should be true for wolves too), the seraphs don't look like they'd be fatty enough for their taste hunting them would net to little energy in comparison to their normal prey. Other than bears and wolves, polar bears have no fear though.

Seals i think for the start a single type would suffice.

And the hares could just use the standard rabbit and the arctic fur texture could overwrite all rabbit fur texture for rabbits newly spawning in regions which have snowfall (oppossed to making it too complicated to implement winter fur).

Edited by Hal13
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, Hal13 said:

Tbh i don't think polar bears should actively hunt player characters (but on the other side that should be true for wolves too), the seraphs don't look like they'd be fatty enough for their taste hunting them would net to little energy in comparison to their normal prey. Other than bears and wolves, polar bears have no fear though.

Seals i think for the start a single type would suffice.

I need to clarify what I meant by hunt players- You would have to get close enough for them to aggro on you first, after that, they would be hard to shake off your trail.  Polar bears in the north can track prey over very large distances, and if wolves hunt and eat us, there is enough meat on us to tempt a hungry polar bear. :P
I would think polar bears should be rare- much more rare than wolves. Finding one would be a big deal and reap great rewards in meat, fat and fur if you manage to take one down. Having one aggro on you would also be a pretty significant event that you should have to deal with.

Oh, and they should have the ability to climb multiple blocks worth of snow, making it harder to pit trap them and kill them with anything other than throwing spears or shooting them full of arrows.

As for the seals, I agree that initially there should only be the one type as suggested. Leopard seals should come later, when we get an ocean/lake update.

19 hours ago, Thalius said:

Oh, and they should have the ability to climb multiple blocks worth of snow, making it harder to pit trap them and kill them with anything other than throwing spears or shooting them full of arrows.

i mean as polar bears are quite huge the standard measurements of being able to go up half its size rounded up with a minimum of 1 block should suffice, i mean standing up they reach about 3-4 meters... and on all 4 they are comparable in size with a medium tall human...