Ancient Tools v1.5.0 - New Content: Carts

Taska Raine

Ancient Tools

Ages pass. Civilizations rise and fall. Yet even time can't erase all evidence of history. Ancient history is preserved through the artifacts dug up centuries after they were lost.

932931592_Mortars(2).jpg.80125918d6f60347ccde8a8c22216775.jpg

Ancient Tools is a mod that looks to inject tools into Vintage Story that have either been lost to time, or have been treasured since ancient times. It will bolster the vanilla Vintage Story experience by providing immersive tools and techniques to further progression.

I intend to start small with this mod and update it when new things are ready. If you have any suggestions please do leave a comment!

So...what's included?

Spoiler

Mortar and Pestle

Spoiler

A time-tested classic. These two items can be used together as an alternative to the quern to grind down items into a powder. They may be accessible earlier in your adventure and cheaper to create...but they can only handle one item at a time and cannot be automated.

Adze

Spoiler

The adze, introduced in the Neolithic era, was a tool commonly used by ancient carpenters to shape wood into various objects or architecture. In its current implementation in the Ancient Tools mod, the adze is used to strip bark from trees. The stripped logs can be used for decoration or construction projects, and the bark itself has various useful crafting options!

Curing Rack

Spoiler

Curing meats with salt is a centuries-old practice of preservation. A wide variety of racks can be crafted from your favourite woods for all your meat curing needs. Attach rudimentary hooks made from bone, salt your meat, and let it hang to cure your delicious meats! Make sure your curing environment is nicely controlled to prevent spoilage. A cellar is recommended!

Brain Tanning

Spoiler

Brain tanning is an alternative method of tanning hides that was used by Native American tribes to create leather. Ancient Tools implements a simplified version of this technique. Several new blocks and items are introduced to make this a reality, including a stretching frame, hide water sacks, a new liquid....and animal brains!

Pitch

Spoiler

Pitch is a sticky black substance often used throughout history for waterproofing, sealing, and as a fuel. In Ancient Tools, this substance is created by mixing powdered charcoal, resin, and dry grass. It can be used to seal crocks, to create water resistant light sources that won't extinguish in the rain, and as a fuel for fire pits, forges and pit kilns that can be exposed to the elements. 

Carts

Spoiler

There has always been a need to transport goods from place to place. With the advent of the wheel, this need was quickly met with the invention of hand-drawn carts! With Ancient Tools, you can create your very own personal cart that you can pull around. Simply place a compatible inventory on the cart and it quickly becomes a handy hauling inventory. 

Download Mod

Download the latest version of Ancient Tools for Vintage Story 1.17.11: Ancient Tools 1.5.0

To download previous versions of the mod, view version change logs, report issues, or to view the mod source files, please visit: Ancient Tools GitHub

For Modders:

Spoiler

Parts of this mod can be customized by your mod if they are installed alongside.

Do you want a custom mesh for a grind-able item in your mod to appear in the mortar? You can do that!

Here's a guide that describes how:  Custom Mortar Shapes Guide

My Other Mods:

Meteoric Expansion: Introduces streaking meteors to the Vintage Story skies. Variable danger factor.

Enjoying my mods? Please do consider supporting me on Patreon, it'd be a great help!

Digital-Patreon-Wordmark_WhiteOnBlack-Sm.thumb.jpg.7b2e66c5d84d556fd26eaac522d914b9.jpg

Edited by Taska Raine
Updated to version 1.5.0
  • Like 6

• Taska Raine changed the title to Ancient Tools v1.0.1

Ancient Tools is now compatible with Vintage Story 1.15.0! Download is available in the main post.

All the new grindable items introduced in Vintage Story 1.15.0 can be ground using the mortar and pestle, including sunflower grain, amaranth grain, dried cassava, etc.

I also fixed a little exploit where the player could insert an old food resource into the pestle then pull it out and it would be perfectly fresh.

• Like 1

• Taska Raine changed the title to Ancient Tools v1.0.3

I've made some much needed modifications to the mortar & pestle that should make them perform more as expected. Download is available in the main post!

Previously, when interacting with the mortar, there was some noticeable lag. This has been eliminated at the cost of losing synced rotations between the user of the mortar and any onlookers.

The pestle animation is now far smoother.

Particles colours now properly sync between all players.

Audio and animation(without pestle rotation) should sync between all players.

• Like 1

• Taska Raine changed the title to Ancient Tools v1.1.0

Ancient Tools now brings curing racks to Vintage Story!

Spoiler

1250133986_mmmmoremeat.png.17ac45b218d1ede2c2b137c8627fdabc.png

Curing racks are extendable blocks that can be placed upon solid surfaces or elevated if they have appropriate support on either side. Curing hooks can be crafted from bone and attached to the rack. Salt up some redmeat/poultry/bushmeat in the crafting grid to create salted meat and hang them on the rack until they cure.

Make sure you have a controlled environment, though! Meat can still spoil...it's best to set these up in a cellar.

Edited by Taska Raine
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

A much requested tool in the Vintage Story Discord now makes an appearance in Ancient Tools! The adze, a tool used to strip bark from trees and shape wood into various forms. This tool can be knapped, smithed and smelted just like other tools in the game and used on trees to peel off its bark, leaving a stripped version of the wood behind. The bark itself has many various uses that will be detailed in the spoiler below.

Spoiler

AdzeScene.thumb.jpg.f4b71dc99b4b9cbc324fbf5aab7315aa.jpg

More things to burn! Dried out tree bark makes for great kindling to start your fires.

All barks can be crafted into cute little baskets to hold your goodies.

Some inner tree bark is edible! Pine and birch bark can be ground down into a flour(with the mortar and pestle, preferably ;3) and formed into dough, then baked in a clay oven to create bread.

Pine and birch bark also have unique medicinal properties. Using these barks, it is possible to create healing salves that heal the user over extended periods of time. There's a detailed guide in game that explains the process.

Have fun stripping, I know I will~

Edited by Taska Raine
  • Haha 1
  • Amazing! 2

• Taska Raine changed the title to Ancient Tools v1.2.1 - New Tool: Adze

Here's a little bugfix update for you all. Some minor stuff that should make life with the mod a little easier~

Spoiler

--Adze(and related)

Stripped logs now only drop the ud directional variant when broken.

Created a compatibility recipe for Building+ derbarked wooden supports. They can be crafted directly by using stripped logs.

Added the molds to the Ancient Tools creative tab.

--Curing Rack(and related)

Fixed an issue where the curing hook GUI image hid the number of hooks in the stack.

Improved the block interaction tooltips for the curing rack.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Filvandrel said:

How do you create salted meat? The salt and barrel method makes cured meat, which I cannot put on the curing rack. And I'm not sure if it's a conflict with another mod which results in missing recipe, or am I doing something wrong?

It's crafted in the crafting grid by placing raw meat between two pieces of salt, vertically

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Heiress said:

Hey I'm having trouble with the salve recipes, I can't seem to get them to work despite the ingame guide supposedly telling me how to,

How do I put the bark and wax into one of the pots?

Also the bark baskets aren't localised properly yet.

A cooking pot first needs to be converted into an empty salve container before it will take any salve ingredients. This can be done by sneaking then right clicking a placed cooking pot with any salve ingredient(birch/pine bark, fat, beeswax). Or, you can craft a cooking pot together with a birch/pine bark to get an empty salve container.

With an empty salve container placed on the ground, you can then right click to load up the container with birch/pine bark and fat. A second salve container will need to be filled with beeswax. The tooltip will tell you exactly how much of each ingredient is needed, then will convert into a separate block when filled that can be picked up and cooked on a fire pit.

After each is cooked, place one on the ground and hold the other in hand. You can sneak and right click while looking at the placed container to pour one into the other, then you should get your finished salve ^.^

If the localization issue you're mentioning is the basket name not appearing properly after crafting, that'll be fixed in the next update. Thanks for reporting!

Edited by Taska Raine

1 hour ago, Taska Raine said:

With an empty salve container placed on the ground, you can then right click to load up the container with birch/pine bark and fat. A second salve container will need to be filled with beeswax. The tooltip will tell you exactly how much of each ingredient is needed, then will convert into a separate block when filled that can be picked up and cooked on a fire pit.

This is where its going wrong, I can't seem to right click the wax or bark into a salve container

Oh and also, the sneak right clicking with a wax ingredient also doesn't seem to be working (but the crafting of it works fine.)

Edited by Heiress

1 hour ago, Heiress said:

This is where its going wrong, I can't seem to right click the wax or bark into a salve container

Oh and also, the sneak right clicking with a wax ingredient also doesn't seem to be working (but the crafting of it works fine.)

I can't seem to replicate either issue in a creative world with only Ancient Tools installed, unfortunately =/.

If it's not too much trouble, could you load up only Ancient Tools and vanilla mods into a creative world as well and try to attempt those actions that aren't working?

If it does work, then there's likely a mod conflict somewhere. I'd like to know which mods you're using in that case to try and track it down.

If it does not work, then I'd need to have a look at some of your log files to see if an error occurs someplace. For Windows PCs these would be located at /AppData/Roaming/VintagestoryData/Logs. I'd probably need server-main, client-main, server-debug and client-debug

• Taska Raine changed the title to Ancient Tools v1.2.2 - New Tool: Adze
21 minutes ago, Travis Pluid said:

So, what's the new update include?

Just some minor fixes, really

Bark basket names are properly displayed immediately after crafting, salve containers with beeswax now display the tooltip properly, fixed a thing where bark and beeswax could be put together in the salve to create bark oil, instead of bark and fat, and salve containers now have contextual world interaction information

• Taska Raine changed the title to Ancient Tools v1.2.3 - New Tool: Adze

Ancient Tools has been updated, and users can now configure the mod to their own needs. Some config options are now available and, when this version is loaded for the first time, will create an 'AncientToolsConfig' file in the ModConfig folder found here: C:\Users\{your name}\AppData\Roaming\VintagestoryData\ModConfig

Options include:

The ability to disable salves and bark bread,

Mortar grinding time, adze stripping time and salve mixing time can be tweaked,

Mortar output count can be increased,

Bark count gained per log can be increased or decreased

If anything goes wrong with the config file and causes issues, simply delete the file and the mod will generate a new one when it launches again.

• Like 1

• Taska Raine changed the title to Ancient Tools v1.2.4 - New Tool: Adze
  • Taska Raine changed the title to Ancient Tools v1.3.0 - New Technique: Brain Tanning

Big brain time! Brain tanning, a technique for tanning hides to create leather inspired by Native American techniques, is now implemented in Ancient Tools. It's available for download on the main post!

This version of the mod should be compatible with Vintage Story 1.16.0 RC-4 and later. Hopefully the official 1.16 release too, when that arrives. 

• Like 1

• Taska Raine changed the title to Ancient Tools v1.3.1 - New Technique: Brain Tanning

Yay for the official launch of 1.16!

I've also got a small tweak/bugfix update for Ancient Tools to coincide with it. The download link is in the main post.

Adze tools can now be crafted with bone handles, and adzes can once again be placed on tool racks.

Additionally, a fix has been implemented that prevents the salted meats recipes from disappearing from the handbook, and the hide tanning guide has been slightly altered for clarity.

Hope you're all having fun in 1.16 ^.^

• Like 1

I really like this mod, however with the inclusion of the Brain tanning leather is way more difficult. The drop rate of the brains is horrible and there decay time is really short. Every animal has a brain so to me you should be able to harvest it and eat it if need be. Anyway I love the bark stripping the most and the salves are cool to but haven't made them as bees are hard to find. 

On 1/13/2022 at 5:53 AM, Yvette Forty said:

I really like this mod, however with the inclusion of the Brain tanning leather is way more difficult. The drop rate of the brains is horrible and there decay time is really short. Every animal has a brain so to me you should be able to harvest it and eat it if need be. Anyway I love the bark stripping the most and the salves are cool to but haven't made them as bees are hard to find. 

Yeaaaa I agree that the rate is horribly low. I've got it set 15% higher in testing and may even go higher than that... the idea was to encourage preparing the solution in advance, since that doesn't decay, but in that pursuit it was pushed way too low. I'll likely not change the decay rate, just to keep in line with the vanilla meat decay time. Increasing rates should hopefully be enough

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.