Ancient Tools v1.5.0 - New Content: Carts

Taska Raine

Alrighty, another bugfix pass is up and hopefully it addresses all the issues that have cropped up in the past week or so. It's fairly substantial this time.

Key bugfixes are...fixing hide sack timers resetting on game load, and resetting when placed back down. The stripping frame was also having some jankiness with client/server interactions and should now be fixed as well. Carry Capacity should now consistently work with Ancient Tools blocks, too, where they should. Patches weren't being applied for some reason, sometimes. 

Key tweaks are... brain drop rates have been boosted by 25% across the board. Water sacks and salve containers can be picked up with Carry Capacity. Some items are now ground storable, such as barks, curing hooks, pestles and adze heads.

Key additions are...animals from Medieval Expansion and Lichen will now drop brains when killed. Stews can now be made using animal brains.

There's a few more things too, but they're relatively minor. They're listed on the changelog for the V1.3.2 version of the mod if you're interested.

If there are further issues, please do let me know! I appreciate all the feedback. It helps a ton towards making this mod as good as it can be.

3 hours ago, Taska Raine said:

Sacks can only be made with raw hides- the hides that are taken directly off of an animal

I didn't mean to miss speak, I am using the raw hide, I forgot pelt was another specific item. I tried shift + right click and right click on a source of water and haven't had any luck.

1 hour ago, Blowtorch said:

I didn't mean to miss speak, I am using the raw hide, I forgot pelt was another specific item. I tried shift + right click and right click on a source of water and haven't had any luck.

Hmm... I did need to do some programming gymnastics to get around the fact that water isn't actually something that can be selected. There may be some cases where it won't fill consistently with that, especially if already standing in water. It should consistently fill if you're looking at an underwater dirt block or whatever and is within breaking range. If it doesn't work then, I'm not too sure o.o

There could be some error being thrown that indicates what's happening. There's a logs folder in the same location where the mods folder is, I'd gladly skim to see if I can spot anything if you could attach the client-main.txt and server-main.txt files.

Are you playing on a server by chance? If so, are other players having the same problem?

I don't know of any mods that would override the convert hide behaviour, but it's possible that that's the case too. If you could share a mods list, I could try running the same ones to try and pinpoint a problem.

Edited by Taska Raine

22 hours ago, Blowtorch said:

Hey I'm curious, I appear to not be able to make the sacks by right clicking on the water with a pelt, is there anything that stops it?

It seems like Primitive Survival prevents the action from going through. I have found a solution to it but I need to first confirm with SpearAndFang to see whether it will break anything else in their mod.

It is also possible to fill them by placing them in the crafting grid with a bucket of water, by the way. Not nearly as cool though!

2 hours ago, nebux said:

are the baskets added i can't find the recipe

The bark baskets? They are in yea, as of version 1.2.0 of the mod. The recipe is 3 pieces of bark in every crafting grid space except the center. Center should be empty.

Edited by Taska Raine

6 hours ago, nebux said:

it seems that the recipe isn't in the recipe book. clicking on bark gives no recipe

Uuuh yea that's strange. I've been snowed in all day and was playing the game proper with the latest version of mod installed and made a pair of maple baskets today, so it should work...just doesn't? O.o

Anyway, would you be willing to start a game with only Ancient Tools installed and see if the problem persists? It's possible another mod or something disabled the recipe. If it works, would you mind sharing your mod list so that I can pinpoint what might cause it? If it still doesn't work, then perhaps attach the client-main.txt and server-main.txt files found in the Logs folder? I'll see if I can figure out what's wrong from there

Edit: Oh, are you trying to navigate to the recipe by clicking the bark basket on the bark handbook page? That seems to not be navigating to the basket page O.o  Should still be able to look up the basket itself in the handbook and get the recipe though?

Edit 2: Managed to find a fix for the issue mentioned in edit 1. If that was it, then I'll post another small update with some more fixes. If not, hopefully we can figure it out

Edited by Taska Raine
See post edit

What animals drop huge hides, I've killed the cows and the rams, as well as the animals from the Lichen mod and none give me huge hides, only large. After a discussion on Discord, the only animals that drop huge hides anymore are now polar bears. That is way to far and dangerous to travel to make leather.  I also have Vanilla Variants installed after looking a little closer, could it be that it is not compatible with your mod? No mater what size hide with a bucket or over a pond with hide in hand and right click, no sack is made. idkwtd...

Edited by Yvette Forty

9 hours ago, Yvette Forty said:

What animals drop huge hides, I've killed the cows and the rams, as well as the animals from the Lichen mod and none give me huge hides, only large. After a discussion on Discord, the only animals that drop huge hides anymore are now polar bears. That is way to far and dangerous to travel to make leather.  I also have Vanilla Variants installed after looking a little closer, could it be that it is not compatible with your mod? No mater what size hide with a bucket or over a pond with hide in hand and right click, no sack is made. idkwtd...

You should be able to make leather from any size hides. Unfortunately what you're experiencing is other mods conflicting with Ancient Tools. Primitive Survival prevents the right click hide filling, and I have no support for Vanilla Varriants buckets in the crafting recipe. I've got a fix for the right click conflict with Primitive Survival ready... I just want to make sure nebux's issue is resolved before putting it out. I may be able to get Vanilla Varriants bucket support in in the meantime though.

My goal is to have this update out tonight sometime

Edited by Taska Raine
  • Like 1
  • Amazing! 1

• Taska Raine changed the title to Ancient Tools v1.3.3 - New Technique: Brain Tanning

Ancient Tools 1.3.3 is out with even more tweaks and fixes ^.^

This should clear up any of the compatibility issues that arose, the biggest being Primitive Survival preventing right-click interaction with hides on water to make hide sacks. I've also squeezed in Vanilla Variants compatibility with the recipe. You can now use water filled VanVar buckets. Thank you for bringing these compatibility issues to my attention, @Blowtorchand @Yvette Forty.

This also includes a fix for a crash that occurred when the adze would be used on blocks that do not have attributes.

Additionally, if what was mentioned above in my edits replying to you, @nebux , was the issue, then that should be fixed. If not, then I'm really not sure what the problem is and would need the requested information to dig further.

Additionally, big thanks to @Craluminumfor pointing me in the right direction for several of these issues. Really helped out :D

Edited by Taska Raine
  • Like 3

I was going out the door and I had raw hide in my hand, the game froze then QTD. So I'm not sure if it was the door or some other block as I wasn't sure right away what was happening.

Running on 64 bit Windows with 16 GB RAM 
Version: v1.16.0 (Stable)1/18/2022 9:13:28 PM: Critical error occurred
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at AncientTools.CollectibleBehaviors.CollectibleBehaviorConvertHide.OnHeldInteractStart(ItemSlot slot, EntityAgent byEntity, BlockSelection blockSel, EntitySelection entitySel, Boolean firstEvent, EnumHandHandling& handHandling, EnumHandling& handling) in C:\Projects\vsmods\mods\ancienttools\src\collectiblebehavior\CollectibleBehaviorConvertHide.cs:line 21
   at Vintagestory.API.Common.CollectibleObject.<>c__DisplayClass92_0.<OnHeldInteractStart>b__0(CollectibleBehavior bh, EnumHandling& hd)
   at Vintagestory.API.Common.CollectibleObject.WalkBehaviors(CollectibleBehaviorDelegate onBehavior, Action defaultAction)
   at Vintagestory.API.Common.CollectibleObject.OnHeldInteractStart_Patch1(CollectibleObject this, ItemSlot slot, EntityAgent byEntity, BlockSelection blockSel, EntitySelection entitySel, Boolean firstEvent, EnumHandHandling& handling)
   at Vintagestory.Client.NoObf.SystemMouseInWorldInteractions.TryBeginUseActiveSlotItem(BlockSelection blockSel, EntitySelection entitySel, EnumHandInteract useType, EnumHandHandling& handling)
   at Vintagestory.Client.NoObf.SystemMouseInWorldInteractions.TryBeginUseActiveSlotItem(BlockSelection blockSel, EntitySelection entitySel)
   at Vintagestory.Client.NoObf.SystemMouseInWorldInteractions.HandleMouseInteractionsNoBlockSelected(Single dt)
   at Vintagestory.Client.NoObf.SystemMouseInWorldInteractions.OnFinalizeFrame(Single dt)
   at Vintagestory.Client.NoObf.ClientEventManager.TriggerRenderStage(EnumRenderStage stage, Single dt)
   at Vintagestory.Client.NoObf.ClientMain.TriggerRenderStage(EnumRenderStage stage, Single dt)
   at Vintagestory.Client.NoObf.ClientMain.RenderToDefaultFramebuffer(Single dt)
   at _lb8GGBWOchQLOU3RFFw58Ijkh1D._1NlBQQ8qS5idQptIBQaAbARuOfxA(Single )
   at _vFhcDU5n6Z0hUte90jdaxlrDjR5._HuDdfzha8ZKZvU2y0RbH58r7VzR(Single )
   at _vFhcDU5n6Z0hUte90jdaxlrDjR5._XZOFA2JA54yZjH15yys9W7vL9hj(Single )
   at Vintagestory.Client.NoObf.ClientPlatformWindows.window_RenderFrame(Object sender, FrameEventArgs e)
   at System.EventHandler`1.Invoke(Object sender, TEventArgs e)
   at OpenTK.GameWindow.RaiseRenderFrame(Double elapsed, Double& timestamp) in C:\Users\Nexrem\Desktop\transfer\opentk\src\OpenTK\GameWindow.cs:line 476
   at OpenTK.GameWindow.DispatchRenderFrame() in C:\Users\Nexrem\Desktop\transfer\opentk\src\OpenTK\GameWindow.cs:line 452
   at OpenTK.GameWindow.Run(Double updates_per_second, Double frames_per_second) in C:\Users\Nexrem\Desktop\transfer\opentk\src\OpenTK\GameWindow.cs:line 375
   at _FKpOpQGqqf3cJWdQyWh1ysxsDBb._pYad7oBcQ5qtzQkYGDu4NFHQxhK(_5x3PJgrln4IBXPDNSNN0fecxKFb , String[] )
   at _sejP0Tcz8wTg70ptIdRr3CwQmrE._pYad7oBcQ5qtzQkYGDu4NFHQxhK(ThreadStart )
-------------------------------

Event Log entries containing Vintagestory.exe, the latest 3
==================================
{ TimeGenerated = 1/10/2022 11:26:48 PM, Site = , Source = .NET Runtime, Message = Application: Vintagestory.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: exception code c0020001, exception address 00007FFAF53A4F69
Stack:
 }
--------------
{ TimeGenerated = 1/10/2022 9:01:27 PM, Site = , Source = Windows Error Reporting, Message = Fault bucket 2137399946764805085, type 5
Event Name: RADAR_PRE_LEAK_64
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: Vintagestory.exe
P2: 1.16.0.0
P3: 10.0.19043.2.0.0
P4: 
P5: 
P6: 
P7: 
P8: 
P9: 
P10: 

Attached files:
\\?\C:\Users\ylfgr\AppData\Local\Temp\RDR2A16.tmp\empty.txt
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER2A17.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER2A28.tmp.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER2A3F.tmp.csv
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER2A6F.tmp.txt

These files may be available here:

Analysis symbol: 
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: e100754f-ade0-42da-8097-05cdd859df72
Report Status: 268435456
Hashed bucket: 90206cb8882a62a92da991ed59dae3dd
Cab Guid: 0 }
--------------
{ TimeGenerated = 12/11/2021 2:26:45 PM, Site = , Source = Application Hang, Message = The program Vintagestory.exe version 1.15.9.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.

Process ID: d9bc

Start Time: 01d7eedc1a15860f

Termination Time: 7

Application Path: C:\Users\ylfgr\AppData\Roaming\Vintagestory\Vintagestory.exe

Report Id: 2c462d37-65f2-4769-997b-a5e2a1a109de

Faulting package full name: 

Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Hang type: Unknown
 }

• Taska Raine changed the title to Ancient Tools v1.3.4 - New Technique: Brain Tanning

Hi, it's me again! I was hunting and this is way to much meat and more hide but not enough brains. So, if you can't get the drop rate up better, I think you should also make the ratio per hide be better. Right now you have it at 1:1 no matter the size of the hide, which to me doesn't make a lot of sense, especially for the small hides. Also, can this mod also drop brains from the animals in Lichen mod and Medieval Expansion mod?

Edited by Yvette Forty

10 hours ago, Yvette Forty said:

Hi, it's me again! I was hunting and this is way to much meat and more hide but not enough brains. So, if you can't get the drop rate up better, I think you should also make the ratio per hide be better. Right now you have it at 1:1 no matter the size of the hide, which to me doesn't make a lot of sense, especially for the small hides. Also, can this mod also drop brains from the animals in Lichen mod and Medieval Expansion mod?

I'll likely change the liquid consumption in the barrel to match the values used to create leather using the vanilla technique. So... huge hides would be 10L of braining solution consumed, large would be 6L, medium 4L, and small 2L.

Aurochs, deer, white hart and gemsbok should all drop brains yea. I think it was 45% chance for all of them?

• Taska Raine changed the title to Ancient Tools v1.3.5 - New Technique: Brain Tanning

Another small patch is out in the wild now! This patch includes a French translation of the mod courtesy of @Cendar. Thanks so much!

Additionally, some more compatibility is available for players who use Vanilla Variants and Bricklayers. The buckets from Vanilla Variants can be used to craft bark dough, and the glazed bowls from Bricklayers can also be used.

I've also changed the braining solution consumption. Huge scraped hides take 10L of braining solution still, but large, medium and small take 6L, 4L and 2L respectively.

Edited by Taska Raine
  • Thanks 1

Quietly going insane as I am having issues making salve. Specifically the putting the beeswax into the pots. We're not really able to remove all the mods from our server and test it out so was hoping there was some info on what's going on with it :/ Pine and fat worked just fine.

44 minutes ago, Lash said:

Quietly going insane as I am having issues making salve. Specifically the putting the beeswax into the pots. We're not really able to remove all the mods from our server and test it out so was hoping there was some info on what's going on with it :/ Pine and fat worked just fine.

After a bit of singleplayer testing it seems like issues with the golden combs mod.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Lash said:

After a bit of singleplayer testing it seems like issues with the golden combs mod.

Oh yes, thank you for pinpointing the issue right down to the conflicting mods! I've found it and can fix it on my end, at least. I'll get in contact with Vinter and we'll get things sorted on their end as well to make sure things behave nicely together

• Taska Raine changed the title to Ancient Tools v1.3.6 - New Technique: Brain Tanning
On 1/29/2022 at 1:54 AM, Lash said:

I've implemented what I can on my end to fix the compatibility issue with Golden Combs now. There still needs to be a patch that addresses this from Vinter Nacht for it to be functional again though.

Ancient Tools V1.3.6 also includes a Japanese translation generously provided by @macoto_hino, thanks so much!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Enjoy the mod immensely.

A thought about bark bread. I like the addition, and it definitely fits in the game. However, some suggestions come to mind not only for added realism.

Birch and pine bark are edible as is maple and larch.

You probably need to add steps to this though to reduce how easy it is to obtain. At the very least a second processing step to strip inner bark, and take durability from the adze for that, and a drying step - either several days on a mat or rack, or a reduced amount of time over a fire.

The calories of bark flours are roughly only 1/4 that of wheat or rye, and birch only slightly more so at the very least, you would need to use four times as much bark to get a caloric equivalent to grain flours. Perhaps instead of 1 = 1 ratio of bark to flour, you need to increase the ratio dramatically. Typically it was used as something to help stretch grain flours. It could also be used for porridge

I ran it on my 1.15.10 server and we are waiting to update until a few of the mods are also updated. But inside the first few days, as soon as we had a quern, a few trees produced literally enough bread to feed the whole group. I reduced it to one bark drop per log. Still too much. We're still eating it, several months in game.

And if you eat enough bark bread to the exclusion of other foods, there should be a penalty of some kind to health - bowel trouble. Even if it is only a minor health penalty, but you'd then accrue it until you ate some other food.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.