Ancient Tools v1.5.0 - New Content: Carts

Taska Raine

On 2/12/2022 at 3:21 PM, Peter Sanderson said:

Enjoy the mod immensely.

A thought about bark bread. I like the addition, and it definitely fits in the game. However, some suggestions come to mind not only for added realism.

Birch and pine bark are edible as is maple and larch.

You probably need to add steps to this though to reduce how easy it is to obtain. At the very least a second processing step to strip inner bark, and take durability from the adze for that, and a drying step - either several days on a mat or rack, or a reduced amount of time over a fire.

The calories of bark flours are roughly only 1/4 that of wheat or rye, and birch only slightly more so at the very least, you would need to use four times as much bark to get a caloric equivalent to grain flours. Perhaps instead of 1 = 1 ratio of bark to flour, you need to increase the ratio dramatically. Typically it was used as something to help stretch grain flours. It could also be used for porridge

I ran it on my 1.15.10 server and we are waiting to update until a few of the mods are also updated. But inside the first few days, as soon as we had a quern, a few trees produced literally enough bread to feed the whole group. I reduced it to one bark drop per log. Still too much. We're still eating it, several months in game.

And if you eat enough bark bread to the exclusion of other foods, there should be a penalty of some kind to health - bowel trouble. Even if it is only a minor health penalty, but you'd then accrue it until you ate some other food.

Hmmm.... yea it definitely is a bit too easy to keep fed with all the bark flour. I had thought that lowering its saturation, compared to other grains, and preventing it from being used in meals would be enough to keep it from being used as a long-term food source... but seems I didn't hit that balance xD.. I am aware that the inner bark is the part that's edible but I felt the extra crafting step was more tedium than I wanted.

The solution to this is likely to require more bark flour in the dough crafting recipe. Like you said, 1/4 the calories of other grains...so perhaps 4 bark flours per dough? I'll also consider lowering the saturation value of the bread further... I just want it to still be better than berries, since it requires some processing.

I'll try to add the more bark flours in the near future too! Which means this balancing really needs work

Edited by Taska Raine
  • Like 2

I'm having a bit of trouble curing my meats on a 24/7 server (v1.16.3) before they rot, and upon further investigation I think the cure timer is not working properly. When racked, the meats initially show a time of 20 days to cure and 38 days to rot, but curing seems to advance slower than game time and I'll end up with 89% spoiled meats that still have 5 days to go, wasting precious salt. Just to be sure the issue wasn't me going in and out of my cellar too frequently I made a second smaller cellar that I only visited to check on the meats, but the issue persists.

9335502409.png

Here you can see on the HUD clock that it's the 5th and meat has 9 days to go. I went offline for ~an hour afterwards and logged back on, and nobody was on the server in the meantime.

1402f30fed.png

Checking back on the 9th. I logged out for the night afterwards.

Edit: So I logged in today and the problem seems to be that curing doesn't advance when the area is unloaded:

fe37ba98a6.png

Seems I'll have to stick with barrel curing for the time being 😅

Edited by Salamander

10 hours ago, Salamander said:

I'm having a bit of trouble curing my meats on a 24/7 server (v1.16.3) before they rot, and upon further investigation I think the cure timer is not working properly. When racked, the meats initially show a time of 20 days to cure and 38 days to rot, but curing seems to advance slower than game time and I'll end up with 89% spoiled meats that still have 5 days to go, wasting precious salt. Just to be sure the issue wasn't me going in and out of my cellar too frequently I made a second smaller cellar that I only visited to check on the meats, but the issue persists.

9335502409.png

Here you can see on the HUD clock that it's the 5th and meat has 9 days to go. I went offline for ~an hour afterwards and logged back on, and nobody was on the server in the meantime.

1402f30fed.png

Checking back on the 9th. I logged out for the night afterwards.

Edit: So I logged in today and the problem seems to be that curing doesn't advance when the area is unloaded:

fe37ba98a6.png

Seems I'll have to stick with barrel curing for the time being 😅

Yea, that's exactly the problem. The rack curing time doesn't fast-forward time between the point the block was unloaded and loaded again. It's a bit of a complicated issue to solve but I do hope to have it fixed soon. The same thing happens to the hide water sacks but...considering those don't rot, that's not so bad.

On 2/20/2022 at 11:55 AM, Taska Raine said:

Yea, that's exactly the problem. The rack curing time doesn't fast-forward time between the point the block was unloaded and loaded again. It's a bit of a complicated issue to solve but I do hope to have it fixed soon. The same thing happens to the hide water sacks but...considering those don't rot, that's not so bad.

@Salamander

This should mostly be fixed in the next release now. At least, the curing timer will 'catch up' now when the block is loaded. If both the meat curing timer and rot timer both run out though, it'll still rot... say if a meat should cure in 20 days, while it would rot in 40... if it's left unloaded for 40 days, it'll still rot. The vanilla perish process runs before I can check if it's cured...and I'm not sure what I can do about that without a full rewrite or something.

Also, I realized that the meat wasn't actually having its perish rate reduced for some reason. This will be fixed too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Taska Raine said:

This should mostly be fixed in the next release now. At least, the curing timer will 'catch up' now when the block is loaded. If both the meat curing timer and rot timer both run out though, it'll still rot... say if a meat should cure in 20 days, while it would rot in 40... if it's left unloaded for 40 days, it'll still rot.

That's totally fine in my books, thanks for the fix!

• Haha 1

• Taska Raine changed the title to Ancient Tools v1.4.0 - New Crafting Process: Pitch

Hey guys! I've put out a new content update for Ancient Tools. Today, it's focused on adding pitch to the Vintage Story scene!

This sticky black substance has its very own crafting process similar to the healing salve that already exists in the mod. It can be used as a fuel to ensure your firepits, forges, and pit kilns will never be put out by the rain. Or, it can be used to craft a new torch block that can be safely left outdoors! Additionally, it can be used as a fuel source in a new permanent lighting block, a Chamberstick, which is a more advanced version of the oil lamp.

Oh... and it can be used to seal crocks, too!

Additionally, a new system for farming resin is present in this version of the mod. Therefore, the pitch update is required to run on Vintage Story 1.16.4 or later. You can carve into both pine and acacia trees to produce leaking logs that will give you all the resin you will need for creating pitch! One leaking log per tree for balancing purposes... if you can't carve? Look up, and around! There's a leaking log nearby. This feature can be disabled in the mod config folder if it is not desired.

There have also been some requested fixes that have hit the mod with this update. For instance, both the curing rack and water hide sacks should fast-forward after being loaded back into the world. Thank you for the reports on these issues, @Shion and @Salamander.

The bark breads now require 4 pieces of flour per dough, and saturation across the board has been reduced. This should hopefully make them more balanced to be more of an emergency food and not something that's 'meta' to get through the winter. Thank you, @Peter Sanderson . I hope to add the new edible barks in the future...this is a step towards that!

Additionally, it's now less annoying to craft brained hides. You no longer need exact braining solution to hide ratios to seal the barrel.

There are still more things in this patch, but they're more minor. Have a look on the ModDB changelog if you're interested ^.^

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings, @Taska Raine!

A quick question/suggestion, if I may?

Would you be willing to consider turning "brains" into a fluid, like resin?
That would then allow you to set "brains" to be harvested at a set volume per animal type, rather than dropped as an item.  This would allow you to set the volume of animal brains gathered from, let's say a rabbit for example, to be more realistic.  A barrel of brain tanning fluid from five rabbits is feeling overpowered, making acquiring leather painfully simple right off. 

Making it a harvestable fluid that is not always a guaranteed thing, with volume varying by animal size/type would be a great modification to this feature in the mod, in my opinion.

On 3/21/2022 at 2:34 PM, Thalius said:

Greetings, @Taska Raine!

A quick question/suggestion, if I may?

Would you be willing to consider turning "brains" into a fluid, like resin?
That would then allow you to set "brains" to be harvested at a set volume per animal type, rather than dropped as an item.  This would allow you to set the volume of animal brains gathered from, let's say a rabbit for example, to be more realistic.  A barrel of brain tanning fluid from five rabbits is feeling overpowered, making acquiring leather painfully simple right off. 

Making it a harvestable fluid that is not always a guaranteed thing, with volume varying by animal size/type would be a great modification to this feature in the mod, in my opinion.

Mmm... but that doesn't really solve the core problem, which is the balancing of the drop rates. You must have been really lucky to get 5/5 brains from rabbits. The chance for each to drop one is 35%. I could probably lower the rate across the board slightly, for all animals, by 5-10%. Don't really want to go lower than 15% as that gets into the territory where it was reportedly too low.

(This is @Taska Raine, just replying on a different forum account temporarily as the account used to create this thread is locked from posting due to anti-spam measures currently in place)

Edited by Taska

• Taska Raine changed the title to Ancient Tools v1.4.1 - New Crafting Process: Pitch

Hey guys! I'm back with another update for Ancient Tools.

1.4.1 brings some tweaks to the mod that have been needed for a while. Firstly, you'll notice that the shapes for the curing rack and stretching frame have been modified. They're much less detailed and better fit the Vintage Story aesthetic. Additionally, the curing rack has been functionally modified to allow items from other mods to be hung for curing/drying. For now, you'll see that you can hang sausages from Expanded Foods, jerky from Primitive Survival, and clippings from Wildcraft can all be placed on the rack. Among a few other things. If there's more things you'd like to be hung, please do let me know!

Additionally, all grindables available in Expanded Foods 1.5.3 pre-6 have their own custom meshes for the mortar.

A few other minor changes have been made, such as giving the chambersticks a warmer hue, and a reduction to brain drop chances requested above.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

(a new system for farming resin is present in this version of the mod).  How does this work?  I've carved into pine trees and have leaking pine but no resin.  Do i have to do something or just wait?  And if it's wait, how long do you need to wait for the resin?  

9 hours ago, Joe Ewer said:

(a new system for farming resin is present in this version of the mod).  How does this work?  I've carved into pine trees and have leaking pine but no resin.  Do i have to do something or just wait?  And if it's wait, how long do you need to wait for the resin?  

You just need to wait after carving into a tree ^.^

It'll take 96ish in-game hours for harvestable resin to appear, just like with freshly harvested leaking logs from the vanilla game.

I seem to have discovered a glitch with pitch. the server i play on is using 1.4.0. 
the following is pasted from a conversation i had with a server admin.

began experiment with 100% empty inventory.

placed 2 sticks in slot 1, placed 1 stick in slot 2.

attempted to retrieve tar with a stack of multiple sticks: Success!

result was 1 stick each for slot 1 and 2 and 1 "pitch" (on a steeeek) in slot 3.

repeated experiment with 2 sticks in slot 1 and grass bundles in all remaining slots to act as filler.

clicked on the pitch pot with a stack of 2 sticks and received nothing. lost 1 pitch from pot.

conclusion: Mod removes a portion of pitch from the pot before checking for an open slot to put the item in, but doesn't remove a stick until the pitch item goes into the inventory.

7 hours ago, Dufgall Vinaldasson said:

I seem to have discovered a glitch with pitch. the server i play on is using 1.4.0. 
the following is pasted from a conversation i had with a server admin.

began experiment with 100% empty inventory.

placed 2 sticks in slot 1, placed 1 stick in slot 2.

attempted to retrieve tar with a stack of multiple sticks: Success!

result was 1 stick each for slot 1 and 2 and 1 "pitch" (on a steeeek) in slot 3.

repeated experiment with 2 sticks in slot 1 and grass bundles in all remaining slots to act as filler.

clicked on the pitch pot with a stack of 2 sticks and received nothing. lost 1 pitch from pot.

conclusion: Mod removes a portion of pitch from the pot before checking for an open slot to put the item in, but doesn't remove a stick until the pitch item goes into the inventory.

Yeeep that sounds like a good ole glitch. I'll have a dive into the code later tonight after work or tomorrow and see what's going on. Thanks for the report!

• Taska Raine changed the title to Ancient Tools v1.4.2 - New Crafting Process: Pitch

I've released a small bugfix patch for Ancient Tools. This should solve the issue mentioned above by @Dufgall Vinaldasson where pitch would not be given to the player if their inventory is full, but would be removed from the pitch container.

It also fixes an issue where Vanilla Variants buckets would be consumed when crafting hide sacks in the crafting grid.

Bark baskets should also now be properly grouped in the handbook.

The French translation of the mod has also been updated, thanks to @Cendar!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Dufgall Vinaldasson said:

I have noticed that the notebook gives no recipe for sealing crocks with pitch, nor can i use a recipe similar to the sealing with fat.

Is it possible that you did this with the ball variant of pitch? If so, you'll need to craft the ball into the stick version of the item before it can be used to seal anything or to be used for other functions. If you'd tried with the stick variant, then it's possible there's a mod conflict or something preventing it. I've managed to do it with just Ancient Tools installed in VS 1.16.5

On 5/2/2022 at 11:19 AM, Peter Sanderson said:

Don't know if this issue is known or not, but birch bark bread shows no texture in the clay oven

Hmmmm... I haven't been able to replicate this issue. It seems to appear in the oven in a single player world with only Ancient Tools installed. Would you be able to provide a mod list so that I may be able to track down any potential conflict?

4 hours ago, MrMeg said:

I translated the mod into Russian ~95%. This is my first translationru.json. Sorry for bad English

Thanks so much! I'll be sure to include it with the next update to Ancient Tools ^.^

4 hours ago, Taska Raine said:

Is it possible that you did this with the ball variant of pitch? If so, you'll need to craft the ball into the stick version of the item before it can be used to seal anything or to be used for other functions. If you'd tried with the stick variant, then it's possible there's a mod conflict or something preventing it. I've managed to do it with just Ancient Tools installed in VS 1.16.5

I dont know how to get the ball variant. I use a stick on the pitch pot. I will check with my server admins.

also, is it possible to use larger containers, like the cauldron(i think that's vanilla) to make larger batches of pitch? i mean, extra fuel(as compared to an equal amount via pitch pots) is something i would be more than happy to deal with. 

On 5/6/2022 at 4:34 PM, Taska Raine said:

Hmmmm... I haven't been able to replicate this issue. It seems to appear in the oven in a single player world with only Ancient Tools installed. Would you be able to provide a mod list so that I may be able to track down any potential conflict?

I have a pretty extensive list of mods... maybe Expanded Foods rc.9? I don't know which others might affect bread

Spoiler

Acorns 0.5.1
Advanced Smithing 1.2.0
Alchemy 1.6.3
Alpha Weapon Pack 1.2.4
Ancient Tools 1.4.2
Animal Cages 2.0.6
AnMiTech 1.0.9
Armor Repair 1.0.3
Backpack Pack Plus 1.0.3
Beta Weapon Pack 1.0.0
Better Crates 1.4.1
Better-Drifters 2.1.3
Bonfires 0.2.0
Bricklayers 0..9.1
Campaign Cartographer 2.2.2
Carry Capacity 0.6.5
Cats 1.4.2
Cave Content 1.0.1
Cave Paintings 1.3.1
Chisel Tools 1.5.0
CivBooks (replaces ModBooks)
CraluTweaks 1.0.0
Creative Crafting Lights 1.2.2
Creatures and Critters 1.2.0
Expanded Foods 1.5.3 pre 9 (will be updated to stable version when out)
Extra Chests 1.5.2
Fancy Doors 1.1.1
Fancy Planters 1.0.5
Farm Life 1.2.3
Fields Of Gold 1.2.2 rc.4
FoF Balancing 1.1.0
Foundry 1.0.0
From Golden Combs 1.3.13
Gamma Weapons Pack 1.0.0
Glassmaking 1.2.0
Hide and Fabric 1.1.0
Instruments 1.1.2
Item Lights 1.0.2
Knife Cut Animations 1.2.0
Lichen 1.6.1
Lighted Paths 0.1.1
Limestone Speleothems 1.0.0
Medieval Expansion 3.7.1
More Bags 1.2.0
More Crops 1.0.8
More Drifter Loot 1.5.4
More Piles 1.2.0
More Roads And Paths 1.4.3
More Roofing 1.1.1
More Stick Crafting
Necessaries Mod 1.1.2
Outlaws 1.1.2 hotfix
Pack Animals 1.0.1 (Creatures & Critters addon)
Pet AI 1.4.4
Place Every Item 1.2.1
Player Corpse 1.3.1
Primitive Survival 2.8.0
Small Fixes 0.0.1
Spider Silk 1.2.2
Spyglass 0.4.5
Stone Quarry 1.6.5
Teleportation Runes 1.0.4
Teleportation Network 1.5.1
Temporal Tinkerer 2.3.5
Useful Stuff 2.3.2
ViesCraft-Machines 1.17.0
WattleWorld 1.0.1
Wildcraft 1.2.3
Wild Farming 1.2.8
Wolf Taming 1.4.1
Wooden Path Fix 1.0.0
Workbench Expansion 1.4.1
XLib 0.6.8
xrowboat 0.0.3
xskills-0.6.9-dev.8 (edited)

I'd like to add the stuff from this mod into Expanded Foods eventually. EF has its own classes for the oven and bread, which overwrite the vanilla classes. I have an idea of what the issue you're talking about is, so I can take care of it (again, eventually).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.