Multiplayer survey

Luk

Multiplayer survey  

367 members have voted

1. 1. When playing Vintage Story, how often do you play multiplayer?

• Never
    • Sometimes
    • Usually
    • Always
  2. 2. If you play multiplayer, what is your preferred server size?

• 1-5
    • 6-10
    • 11-15
    • 15+
  3. 3. Do you play on default settings?

• Yes, exactly on default
    • Mostly yes, but with a few small changes
    • Yes, but I use some mods
    • Yes, but I use a lot of mods
    • No, I make a lot of changes to the world config

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/06/2021 at 12:35 AM

6 hours ago, Domkrats said:

As i am not so much into farming, homesteading or building as i am into action, i am waiting for some updates on that, yet keeping game friendly for those who feel already that game is too hard. So that shouldn't be more dangerous or swarming mobs, but some mobs, that would actually be somehow summoned using some ruin symbols (or even resources like iron, gold, silver) by players choice. And after you fight those mobs, you could get some exclusive resources, gear, armor or tools. 

Too safe. I would prefer more dangerous mobs that can swarm, have ranged attacks, tear down/walk through blocks, burrow, fly, have AOE attacks, etc, etc.

• Like 1
  • Cookie time 2

Amen to more dangerous mobs. Personally, I'd prefer them not ripping through my blocks; it took a long time to mine all that quartz to make the ancient blocks. But flying, AOE, maybe even ranged attacks; that'd be cool. If any of that stuff implemented, hopefully it'll come with a slider in the config menu for those of us who prefer a more casual experience.

15 hours ago, l33tmaan said:

Too safe. I would prefer more dangerous mobs that can swarm, have ranged attacks, tear down/walk through blocks, burrow, fly, have AOE attacks, etc, etc.

I am not against more dangerous mobs myslef, but it can come only if there is some combat updates to game, giving more options to fight them. At least blocking hits.

But i am concerned, that if we want for game to grow in any direction (meaning sales and thus development), scaring away large portion of players whom would love more peacefull gameplay, isn't a good idea as well.

Edited by Domkrats
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Domkrats said:

But i am concerned, that if we want for game to grow in any direction (meaning sales and thus development), scaring away large portion of players whom would love more peacefull gameplay, isn't a good idea as well.

I am always incredibly wary of the "we should include this in a game so it'll sell more" aspect of game development. I actually don't care how much VS sells as long as the game is good. Having more difficult monsters (that you can STILL DISABLE) is going to be something the game MUST deal with at some point, or else not have combat at all.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, l33tmaan said:

I actually don't care how much VS sells as long as the game is good.

You mean, you don't care whether the developers have food on the table and a home to live in and all the things humans need, as long as the game is the way YOU prefer? Or did you mean that if the game does not sell enough to provide all of that, you are gonna pay for everything the developers need every month for...months, years, decades, to get the game YOU want?

Edited by junawood
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, l33tmaan said:

I am always incredibly wary of the "we should include this in a game so it'll sell more" aspect of game development. I actually don't care how much VS sells as long as the game is good. Having more difficult monsters (that you can STILL DISABLE) is going to be something the game MUST deal with at some point, or else not have combat at all.

Sales doesn't mean simply having more money. It means possibility to hire more staff to make even more features...also the ones you would wish for. Lets not be so primitive and compare it to having food on table.

And when i am saying game is difficult, what i am saying is, that game is difficult not because simply of monsters. I think it's more lack of tutorial or introduction to main game mechanics. I just noticed this often on server i was playing on. People come on server and they can't even light a torch or  make a spear. For some it is great to discover all by yourself. But some (who aren't even aware of simple minecraft features) need a small tutorial which would kindly introduce them to this game. Otherwise it scares away many people, who would maybe love this game, i think.

Check "Worth a buy" Vintage Story review for this game on youtube. He is honest man with huge experience in games. He also loved this game, but had some comments on tutorial and grind, this game has. But he rated it as very great game anyway. The same is with me. I love this game and that is why i wish devs all the best and i am a little worried that, although it's gaining attraction, it could still stay as a nieche product because of idea, that players will figure all out by themselves. 

I didn't want this poll to become a offtopic discussion. Just wanted to point out my opinion that wether multiplayer or single player, game could be more awesome if it would let inexperienced players (who won't even know custom world making menu even exists) to love this game as well. ;)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/29/2021 at 9:42 PM, Pestilence said:

I can't imagine being anything other than extremely frustrated by food rot on servers.  Having to deal with that sounds like the opposite of fun.

On 8/29/2021 at 10:04 PM, ThreeHeadedDingo said:

Can just adjust the rot time. What I find way less fun is everyone just saving up infinite food that never perishes and then eventually it's all meaningless (basically what happens in Minecraft).

Besides, rot feeds into the gameplay loop because you can compost it.

On 8/30/2021 at 3:18 AM, Tyron said:

There's food items that can last many in-game years. Those should greatly mitigate loosing all your food each day.

People talked a bunch throughout the thread about food spoilage on servers and the various alternatives, such as long lasting food, but practically speaking I was never out of food once I had my first farm space set up, even if I was gone for weeks or months.

I had my spall number of permanent supplies, like cured meats and cheeses, but I actually never needed them at all. I'd log on, and even if I had 30 sealed crocks of food rot, all the animals I had fed before I logged off had reproduced and grown up - tons of meat. All the seeds I had planted, even if I planted them in utterly exhausted soil, would be at full maturity and ready to harvest.

So either you're on the server all the time and it's not a problem, or you're gone long enough that there are fresh food available and it's just a matter of washing all your dishes. It's actually the thing I miss most about playing multiplayer whenever I do local or so - it takes MILLENIA to domesticate animals or get a decent supply of flax built up T_T In my multiplayer solo, I'm rolling in wealth because of my personal stasis while my farm develops and progresses without my attendance.

• 5 months later...
On 10/9/2021 at 2:40 PM, Arcitc Cuddlefish said:

People talked a bunch throughout the thread about food spoilage on servers and the various alternatives, such as long lasting food, but practically speaking I was never out of food once I had my first farm space set up, even if I was gone for weeks or months.

I had my spall number of permanent supplies, like cured meats and cheeses, but I actually never needed them at all. I'd log on, and even if I had 30 sealed crocks of food rot, all the animals I had fed before I logged off had reproduced and grown up - tons of meat. All the seeds I had planted, even if I planted them in utterly exhausted soil, would be at full maturity and ready to harvest.

So either you're on the server all the time and it's not a problem, or you're gone long enough that there are fresh food available and it's just a matter of washing all your dishes. It's actually the thing I miss most about playing multiplayer whenever I do local or so - it takes MILLENIA to domesticate animals or get a decent supply of flax built up T_T In my multiplayer solo, I'm rolling in wealth because of my personal stasis while my farm develops and progresses without my attendance.

Couldn't agree more with this, I can't put it better myself. Sure food rots, but that's the point and if you plan properly by the time you login in again you should have more ready to go. 

Anyhow I'd like to touch on the multiplayer aspect. I am not sure how well optimized the multiplayer scene is currently, but I hope the goal is that one day people can run large servers with at least 200 concurrent players. Ideally I'd love to see 500 or more if the hosts hardware can handle it. I think that really opens the door for this game to become a huge niche in the realistic survival genre and for communities like the Civ community to turn this game into a true sandbox experience.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.