From Golden Combs (1.16-1.18) Apiculture Mod

Vinter Nacht

I've had a slew of RL work come in, but I've been watching a ton of bee videos.  So while I haven't been making much work progress on them this last week, there's a ton of concept work being done for future editions.

I have the basic concept of the Langstroth in my head. I want to have the update out by the end of the first week of November, but don't want to promise anything yet.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Toot said:

Hello Im trying to use your mod in my own world but i cant figure out how to place the brood pot after picking it up. Do i need to place it on a populated skep? I assume its something so obvious im missing it 😅

Nevermind i figured out that its just the exact same as the skeps lol

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update for those interested. I've been working consistently on this mod over the past few days. I got a lot of the groundwork laid out for the Langstroth Hives, so it's time to start making them work as hives.

Sneak peak of the next hive coming out after the Langstroth:

IMG_1510-jpg.jpg.873b9695148c2781f82e22282b52ad4a.jpg

(It'll be two blocks wide and somewhat limited in frame capacity vs the Langstroth Hive, but will be arguably more convenient to work with)

Edited by Vinter_Nacht
Add Image
  • Like 3

Spent a fair amount of time working on the Langstroth update this weekend.  Making some solid progress, as far as that goes.

The stacks now have a maximum height, and can recognize when they're a 'valid hive'.  A valid hive, in this case, is one whose top is a Brood Box, and whose bottom is a Base.
I wrote the algorithm that cycles through the supers and the frames inside them to update them when the hive produces new harvestable frames, got a bug or two here.
When it knows it is in active hive, it checks its environment to determine for the requirements to become harvestable.

In short: It should be ready to launch soonish, as soon as I find more time to work on it.  I wanted to try to keep it to a monthly update, but that's not comin' just yet.

Depending on how long it takes to finish the Langstroth, I may go back and rework the Claypot Hive. There's a few things I've been wanting to do to it to bring it up to date.  Might not be compatible with older versions.

Edited by Vinter_Nacht
  • Like 5

Update on the upcoming update!

The Langstroth Hives are officially functioning. Any further bugs will probably need player contact to identify and suss out.
There are 169 different color combos of Brood Box, Super, and Base, meaning there are millions of possible combinations available to let you personalize your hive!

Since I was able to finish the hives themselves ahead of my goal of the upcoming weekend, I'm working at updating the Ceramic Hives as well.  When they are completed you'll be able to have any color of honey pot with any color of brood pot.  While default means 2 colors (Fire and Blue) for each entry, I'm working with Tels to add Bricklayers compatibility.

When that happens, you'll have an extensive rainbow of colors and patterns for Ceramic Pots as well!

• Like 4

Well... That went smoother than expected.  The Claypot Hives (now known as Ceramic Hives) have been updated to the point where they function exactly like the original ClayPot Hives.  The exception is that the Honey Pot now goes into an inventory slot on the hive and is rendered.  The important take-away from this is that I'm ready to start looking at integration with Tels Bricklayers.

• Like 3

A small 'countertop' press may be added at some point, yes.  However, before that happens, I have to learn how to do animations.  Static tools are a no.

As things get more advanced I may even include a honey-centrifuge.  These extract honey from the comb without damaging the wax, and would result in faster recovery times for honey.

4 hours ago, l33tmaan said:

Not only does Expanded Foods have a press you can put honeycombs in, but I actually suggested to Tyron that the vanilla press have the ability to squeeze honey and he seemed to like it. 🤞

I still intend to add a smaller 'countertop' version that looks like it belongs in my kitchen and not out in the vineyard.

• Like 4

• Vinter Nacht changed the title to From Golden Combs (1.15.7) Apiculture Mod

I've beaten on it, tweaked it, squashed what bugs I can find, and now we're entering the end game.

The update of this mod will be available for public testing as soon as I finish the documentation... So tomorrow sometime, mostly likely.  I'll be reducing my update posts here to focus on actual progress. If you've been enjoying the regular updates, follow me on Patreon, I'll be posting frequently there..  (I won't be having any Patron only posts for now)  My patreon link is in the initial post, and in the signature below.

• Cookie time 2
  • Mind=blown 1

New Release! Not tested on 1.15.8-9, please report any issues with these.

It's reached the point where (I think) it's ready for testing! This version adds a great deal to the apiculture experience while also laying the groundwork for future growth.

From_Golden_Combs_Base.png.de803875ba32ff5c403237ac49a2a15b.png

New Blocks

From_Golden_Combs_No_Text_Small.png.8f61c6849bc4733cc15b82d9b066eba5.png - Langstroth Base - The bottom block of your new hive. 

From_Golden_Combs_No_Text_Small.png.8f61c6849bc4733cc15b82d9b066eba5.png - Langstroth Superstructure - Also known as supers, these boxes will be where your bees do their hard work.

From_Golden_Combs_No_Text_Small.png.8f61c6849bc4733cc15b82d9b066eba5.png - Langstroth Broodbox - This is where your bees live! Place a super on the ground and right-click it with a brood top made from the same materials. Boom! Bee home!  Right-click it with a populated skep to put a colony in it.

Langstroth blocks can be stacked in any combination up to 6 high. In order to be considered a hive, the stack must have a populated brood box at the top, a base at the bottom, and up to 4 supers in between. There can't be anything but supers between the brood box and the base.

All Langstroth blocks come in any of 169 different colors.

New Items

From_Golden_Combs_No_Text_Small.png.8f61c6849bc4733cc15b82d9b066eba5.png - Frame Racks - These racks are used for finishing your frames, and for harvesting them! Just place them in the rack and right click with a knife to clean them

From_Golden_Combs_No_Text_Small.png.8f61c6849bc4733cc15b82d9b066eba5.png - Waxed Flax Twine - Made by sealing flax twine in a barrel with beeswax. Used in repairing damaged frames.

From_Golden_Combs_No_Text_Small.png.8f61c6849bc4733cc15b82d9b066eba5.png - Waxed Linen - Made by sealing linen in a barrel with beeswax, or from 4 pieces of waxed flax twine. Used to line bee frames 

From_Golden_Combs_No_Text_Small.png.8f61c6849bc4733cc15b82d9b066eba5.png - Frame Liner - Made by cutting waxed linen in two with a knife (crafting menu) and then placing it in a bee frame using a frame rack.

From_Golden_Combs_No_Text_Small.png.8f61c6849bc4733cc15b82d9b066eba5.png - Bee Frames - Bee Frames are made using a Langstroth part, 3 sticks, and a blob of resin. Place them in a frame rack and right-click with a frame liner. Available in all 13 wood colors.

Good luck with your new hives!

Edited by Vinter_Nacht
  • Like 4

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.