From Golden Combs (1.16-1.18) Apiculture Mod

Vinter Nacht

I'd really like to like this, as it adds some interesting detail, but...

First, because of the UI it is incredibly cumbersome. Maybe I'd learn it well enough to not take all day to just do one Langstroth, but that's not me yet.

Second material-wise, 40 linen is a whole lot for a single hive. And I have not played long enough to  find out how much twine repair uses on an ongoing basis, if its been implemented. At the earliest, I don't have that kind of linen until mid to late June, which means maybe 3(?) honey harvests that first year. And doing that would mean delaying the mill.

But more importantly, honey production seems to not be scaled by number of flowers. Looks like it's 7 days, whether we are talking 5 flowers or 200.

Even with the standard apiary layout on the Wiki, by the time you get over 25 skeps the central ones can generally be harvested at least every other day. And if you go hard-core with a completely unrealistic apiary, a placed skep goes from poor population to harvestable within seconds.

One of the advantages of FGC appears to be there is a minimal demand for flowers. If you place 4 Langstroths in an 8x8  square, and put a few flowers in the center that they can all share, I think you can get by with just 5 flowers and still get full production. There's plenty of space to tear down your Langstroth without moving. Indeed, the second prepared stack that someone mentioned where you just move the brood over would work great.

And just sticking with ceramic hives really is not a good option, either, relative to vanilla. You are, again, roughly one harvest per month, so if you can get the first one placed by the 3rd or 4th of May, you might get, what, 5 harvests? Maybe 6? Even if you could find time to fire a couple sets per day, it's going to take well into summer to field a reasonably-sized apiary. And you still have to do the vanilla swarming to get the skeps anyway.

I get that it's a more realistic production rate. But the game is expecting you to be able to make lanterns and candles and have some wax to seal your crocks with, and honey to make jam with. Though it probably works fine with the extended seasons, like if you are also playing your Fields of Gold mod. Which makes sense. That's probably what it is balanced for.

It's a great concept. It comes at a huge cost, though, as you can't easily mix vanilla and FCG in early game. When you harvest a filled skep, the colony is gone. Destroyed. Harvesting reeds is so much quicker and easier and cheaper that it is really hard to get excited about it.

• Like 1

I'm not trying to be a downer. I just think the point of a seraph developing a new technology should be to make his life easier than it was before. To that end, here are a few suggestions that might do that.

1. Restore old skep behavior. Or what I think was old skep behavior. I don't recall ever having to go back to the wild hive to start over. Or maybe that was pure bad luck this time.
  2. If components in backpack slots is required behavior, maybe they could stack? 4 supers, either with frames or without, no mixing? Otherwise, one brood plus 4 supers is more spaces than you have, meaning it can't be done in one go.
  3. Maybe treat each super or even the entire Langstroth in situ as a chest? 10 spaces per super. Move the filled frames to inventory, push empty ones back into the chest/hive? You could still have the knife and frame in crafting grid to put wear on the frame as desired, though that might complicate stacking. Just a lot less effort than taking the whole assembly apart and spreading it across the grass. Though after having practiced backpack space juggling, I think I'll give changing over a hive another go. Maybe it is not as much work as I was turning it into. 
  4. Adjust harvest time by flower count, at least in some way.

I don't know. Maybe your vision is not to make the seraph's life better, but rather that vanilla just made things too easy. If so, ignore all this. It's just that by the time I can field a complete Langstroth, I would already be filling my second barrel of honey in vanilla.

[EDIT]

Thinking about it, you must not have durability on the frames yet. Either that or so far I have not tried to stack a new one on a partially worn one. I'm assuming they would stack like berries, if there is more than x% wear (freshness) it does not stack? Or does it average, like if you force-stack food of different freshness level?

[/EDIT]

Edited by Thorfinn
  • Like 1

Just throwing my thoughts in, having used this mod for a while now. Overall, I really like it. I think it strikes a good balance between having to constantly get more reeds/clay to make new skeps versus just having your ceramic hives sitting around doing their thing. That said, there are two big things I'd like to suggest:

First, the handbook has some discrepancies between names of things, which can be confusing the first time you're trying to get into the mod's contents. I'd recommend keeping the names of the parts in the handbook guide matched to their item names in the recipe search; I'd also recommend adding notes in the guide about needing to use backpack/storage slots for the completed items in a more obvious way, as that is a step that is frequently confusing players.

Second, I'm not sold on the way langstroth hives work as being worth having over ceramic pots. The only real advantage they have is that they take up less space, but they have quite a high startup cost and also have wear and tear that requires maintenance, but they ultimately don't provide enough output to be worth it. I have my apiary setup with 10 ceramic pots and a langstroth containing 20 frames. The issue with the langstoth hives is that the frames fill up at the same pace at the ceramic pots, 1 at a time, and you ultimately should be waiting until every frame is filled because disassembling the hive to harvest the frames resets the current progress towards more production. Immersion-wise, the langstroth hive is really neat to work with, but I think its output and maintenance cost make them more of hassle than they're worth beyond the immersion factor.

I could be mistaken, but I think that you fill the entire (up to) 40 frames of the Langstroth in the same 7 days that it took to fill the ceramic pot. If that really is the equivalent of harvesting 40 ceramic pots, that's a big deal. It is still slower than a reasonably-sized vanilla apiary, but it absolutely dominates the ceramic pot. The only issue is the repair cost, which is probably a non-issue by the time they get worn in vanilla. It's pretty easy to end up with full gambeson plus 4 full sails by late summer/early fall, and be swimming in linen/twine the rest of the game. The initial opportunity cost is still, what, all of that? Gambeson and windpower, to put up a single Langstroth, that can be outdone by vanilla?

[EDIT]

The question remains: What is the vision here? Is it to make a technology that, with sufficient expenditure, surpasses vanilla, or is it to re-balance vanilla?

[/EDIT]

Edited by Thorfinn

4 hours ago, Thorfinn said:

I could be mistaken, but I think that you fill the entire (up to) 40 frames of the Langstroth in the same 7 days that it took to fill the ceramic pot. If that really is the equivalent of harvesting 40 ceramic pots, that's a big deal. It is still slower than a reasonably-sized vanilla apiary, but it absolutely dominates the ceramic pot. The only issue is the repair cost, which is probably a non-issue by the time they get worn in vanilla. It's pretty easy to end up with full gambeson plus 4 full sails by late summer/early fall, and be swimming in linen/twine the rest of the game. The initial opportunity cost is still, what, all of that? Gambeson and windpower, to put up a single Langstroth, that can be outdone by vanilla?

[EDIT]

The question remains: What is the vision here? Is it to make a technology that, with sufficient expenditure, surpasses vanilla, or is it to re-balance vanilla?

[/EDIT]

Unless it's a setting in the config I've missed, mine only fills up one frame at a time, possible 1 per super, I haven't checked closely. But I only tend to get one harvest of the 20 frames per year, whereas I'm getting a full harvest of my ceramic pots weekly so it completely blows it out of the water.

Oh, my bad. I should have waited a bit longer. It took me about 3 full days just to figure out how to get 2 Langstroths set up. Yes, I just checked and you are correct. This looks really slow. Super slow. That was in 1.17.11, and it was late July before I had 80 linen. I wanted to set the broods within a minute or two of the same time with one hive having minimal flowers, the other the full 224, and see if there was a difference. But come to find out, checking in on things appears to reset timers to zero, so I don't know how to check. Wait until end of season and see how much each produced? But that means no jam for year 1? No lanterns or candles until fall? Unless I pan bony soil, I guess? In any event, I am a little concerned. If it takes 7 days to fill a frame, April to November will only be 9 frames. Realistic, maybe, but holy cow, quite a change from vanilla.

But on the other hand, it looks as if 1.18.0 Pre-3 might cap skeps at 64 flowers. I don't know what that means for turn-around, but in the current vanilla game I got my first skep set out on the evening of day 2 with 64 flowers, added a bunch more flowers, I'm now about noon on day 5, large pop, still reading 64 flowers though I've placed 2 more full stacks of flowers within range, there's no message about swarming, and the empty skep next to it is still empty. Looks like serious nerfage. Unless maybe Dwarf Furze isn't a flower anymore...

[EDIT]

Upshot is that 1.18 might not be that much different in production rates from FGC.

[/EDIT]

[EDIT2]

I definitely agree that it would be nice to have a step by step description, and that the items in the description be the same as the name of the thing you have to craft. So, for example, say you have to craft 1 base, then craft 1 super, then place the super on the ground, then craft the frame, then line the frame, then put the lined frame into the super, repeat until you use up all available materials or have installed 10 frames, then put the super onto the base, repeat for up to 3 more supers, the put the... ok, here's the step I don't really remember. Somehow you build a brood to put on top using a populated skep and a roof and something or other. It's not that complex. It's just complicated.

[/EDIT2]

Edited by Thorfinn

15 hours ago, Thorfinn said:

Oh, my bad. I should have waited a bit longer. It took me about 3 full days just to figure out how to get 2 Langstroths set up. Yes, I just checked and you are correct. This looks really slow. Super slow. That was in 1.17.11, and it was late July before I had 80 linen. I wanted to set the broods within a minute or two of the same time with one hive having minimal flowers, the other the full 224, and see if there was a difference. But come to find out, checking in on things appears to reset timers to zero, so I don't know how to check. Wait until end of season and see how much each produced? But that means no jam for year 1? No lanterns or candles until fall? Unless I pan bony soil, I guess? In any event, I am a little concerned. If it takes 7 days to fill a frame, April to November will only be 9 frames. Realistic, maybe, but holy cow, quite a change from vanilla.

Yep. The ceramic option works really, really well though. My strategy is to get one pair of vanilla skeps populated that I leave at my apiary, and as I get time, I just kiln up a set of ceramic pots and fill them. With 10 of those setup, I ultimately have more honey and wax than I can realistically use, and I'm very liberal with the use of the honey in all my Expanded Foods meals.

I think the design and concept of the langstroth hive is really awesome and immersive, so I keep one around just for that, but it just needs a little more oomph to its production rate.

Side note - If your langstroth is working, when it starts filling frames you can see how many frames are ready for harvest by looking at them with the context pop-up enabled. As you noted, disassembling resets the hive production timer completely, so it's kind of a "wait until all the frames are full" situation. Maybe the change that could fix all of this would be to have the super panels be accessible without disassembling the whole hive, so that you could just pull frames out, harvest/repair them, and pop them back in without interrupting production.

I'll have to give the ceramics another shot, then. Particularly now that 1.18 appears to have seriously weakened standard beekeeping. It might actually be pretty close now. Do you run 1.18 yet? Do you find the vanilla skeps fill at about the same rate as ceramics? Do number of flowers make any difference at all, assuming you are at least 5+3/skep in range? Or is that different now, too? To be fair, the old system was almost cheese. If you had the patience, it was possible for a skep to see 1574 flowers, 1573 if you wanted to harvest it. Though practically speaking, I usually stopped between 300 and 400. Not a whole lot of difference going over 400 that I could tell. A good solid day's collecting flowers would shave maybe a second or two off the time to harvest. Hard to justify that when there's so much else to do.

Thanks for the heads up on the context pop-up. I misread it as "ShowComboSomething" and didn't want to try figuring out what that did quite yet.

1 hour ago, Credinus said:

Maybe the change that could fix all of this would be to have the super panels be accessible without disassembling the whole hive, so that you could just pull frames out, harvest/repair them, and pop them back in without interrupting production.

Could be. Or just have the counter stop where it is, and continue from there when you put it back together rather than resetting to zero. I had made tearing the hive down way too much work. So long as you have space right there, it's not much different than filling a barrel with 50l of water using a bucket. It's just that I rarely do anything with backpack slots, other than carry the first skep and trade baskets for linen bags and better, so was unfamiliar with how those slots work. But if I have 6 nearby open ground spaces, one for whatever current backpack I have in slot 1, and 5 for the torn-down Langstroth, I can pretty easily go through it in short order.

The big thing I learned so far is to make all your hive components on-site. Don't even try to haul them from your house four at a frickin' time.

Edited by Thorfinn

6 hours ago, Thorfinn said:

I'll have to give the ceramics another shot, then. Particularly now that 1.18 appears to have seriously weakened standard beekeeping. It might actually be pretty close now. Do you run 1.18 yet? Do you find the vanilla skeps fill at about the same rate as ceramics? Do number of flowers make any difference at all, assuming you are at least 5+3/skep in range? Or is that different now, too? To be fair, the old system was almost cheese. If you had the patience, it was possible for a skep to see 1574 flowers, 1573 if you wanted to harvest it. Though practically speaking, I usually stopped between 300 and 400. Not a whole lot of difference going over 400 that I could tell. A good solid day's collecting flowers would shave maybe a second or two off the time to harvest. Hard to justify that when there's so much else to do.

Still on 1.17 for the time being, and really only around 100 flowers. With the 10 ceramics, I'm getting around 25 honeycombs per harvest and it's nice and quick, other than the squeezing since I'm a sucker for beeswax over using the fruitpress.

• 3 weeks later...

So this is where I come in and apologize. I never get notifications for my mod posts for some reason.  I'll have to look into that further.

On 3/9/2023 at 4:17 PM, Thorfinn said:

First, because of the UI it is incredibly cumbersome. Maybe I'd learn it well enough to not take all day to just do one Langstroth, but that's not me yet.

The UI is intended to keep storage from occurring in chests/etc, and to ensure that managing the hives is an active behavior, rather than a click and forget behavior.  I understand it's not for everyone.

Second material-wise, 40 linen is a whole lot for a single hive. And I have not played long enough to  find out how much twine repair uses on an ongoing basis, if its been implemented. At the earliest, I don't have that kind of linen until mid to late June, which means maybe 3(?) honey harvests that first year. And doing that would mean delaying the mill.

You don't need 40 linen for a single hive. You only need one frame to have your hive up and operational (So... half a linen?) and two to be able to get the max benefit from it if you harvest every week.

But more importantly, honey production seems to not be scaled by number of flowers. Looks like it's 7 days, whether we are talking 5 flowers or 200.

This is truly odd, given that it uses *exactly the same code as the skep* for this process.And when I say exactly, I mean copy-pasta exactly. (I was an early modder, didn't really even understand how it worked, but the core of the hive's operation uses the same system. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying it's weird.

One of the advantages of FGC appears to be there is a minimal demand for flowers. If you place 4 Langstroths in an 8x8  square, and put a few flowers in the center that they can all share, I think you can get by with just 5 flowers and still get full production. There's plenty of space to tear down your Langstroth without moving. Indeed, the second prepared stack that someone mentioned where you just move the brood over would work great.

And just sticking with ceramic hives really is not a good option, either, relative to vanilla. You are, again, roughly one harvest per month, so if you can get the first one placed by the 3rd or 4th of May, you might get, what, 5 harvests? Maybe 6? Even if you could find time to fire a couple sets per day, it's going to take well into summer to field a reasonably-sized apiary. And you still have to do the vanilla swarming to get the skeps anyway.

The base harvest time of the mod is 148 in-game hours. However, the modconfig give you the option to change that, and how many frames fill every time it harvests.  You could have an entire super fill every day (or less) if you so desire.  Just go in and change that config value. You can change the values for skeps, ceramic, and langstroth, including how many frames it fills for harvest.  Set it to your desired output. :)

I get that it's a more realistic production rate. But the game is expecting you to be able to make lanterns and candles and have some wax to seal your crocks with, and honey to make jam with. Though it probably works fine with the extended seasons, like if you are also playing your Fields of Gold mod. Which makes sense. That's probably what it is balanced for.

It actually *isn't* a more realistic production rate.  Real hives produce honey at a *breakneck* pace during the harvest season, netting gallons of honey and many pounds of wax.  However, the needs of Vintage Story would mean that one fully stocked Langstroth Hive is all you'd ever need, and you'd never want for anything ever again if it produced at that rate.  However, once again, you can change those settings in vintagestorydata/modconfig/fromgoldencombs.json.

It's a great concept. It comes at a huge cost, though, as you can't easily mix vanilla and FCG in early game. When you harvest a filled skep, the colony is gone. Destroyed. Harvesting reeds is so much quicker and easier and cheaper that it is really hard to get excited about it.

It's actually intended to mix well with vanilla, for the most part.  I deliberately did not allow the ceramic hive or langstroth hive to propagate to ensure the vanilla mechanics remained relevant.

On 3/9/2023 at 7:05 PM, Thorfinn said:
  1. If components in backpack slots is required behavior, maybe they could stack? 4 supers, either with frames or without, no mixing? Otherwise, one brood plus 4 supers is more spaces than you have, meaning it can't be done in one go.

If I had my way at the time, you wouldn't be able to carry more than component at a time, period. This won't be a feature I'll be including, I'm afraid.  It's supposed to be an extremely tactile experience. Traditional hotbars just make it... ugh.

1. Maybe treat each super or even the entire Langstroth in situ as a chest? 10 spaces per super. Move the filled frames to inventory, push empty ones back into the chest/hive? You could still have the knife and frame in crafting grid to put wear on the frame as desired, though that might complicate stacking. Just a lot less effort than taking the whole assembly apart and spreading it across the grass. Though after having practiced backpack space juggling, I think I'll give changing over a hive another go. Maybe it is not as much work as I was turning it into. 

I am utterly against anything involving a GUI, but I don't know if that's what you're talking about. 

I don't know. Maybe your vision is not to make the seraph's life better, but rather that vanilla just made things too easy. If so, ignore all this. It's just that by the time I can field a complete Langstroth, I would already be filling my second barrel of honey in vanilla.

Vanilla is far, far too easy.  However, From Golden Combs is not one of the mods I designed to make it harder.  I was just barely developing mods when it was made, and it's due for a complete rewrite.  However, that may result in it being less to your taste, not more.  Time will tell.

[EDIT]

Thinking about it, you must not have durability on the frames yet. Either that or so far I have not tried to stack a new one on a partially worn one. I'm assuming they would stack like berries, if there is more than x% wear (freshness) it does not stack? Or does it average, like if you force-stack food of different freshness level?

[/EDIT]

Also -> Yes, the frames should experience wear every time you harvest one. I don't know if it averages, to be honest. I never tested it, and again, BABY coder when I started it. 

On 3/10/2023 at 3:31 PM, Credinus said:

First, the handbook has some discrepancies between names of things, which can be confusing the first time you're trying to get into the mod's contents. I'd recommend keeping the names of the parts in the handbook guide matched to their item names in the recipe search; I'd also recommend adding notes in the guide about needing to use backpack/storage slots for the completed items in a more obvious way, as that is a step that is frequently confusing players.

Documentation is my bane, I will be improving it on the rewrite. (Coming to you... Eventually. It's a priority, but it's not the imminent priority.)

On 3/10/2023 at 3:31 PM, Credinus said:

Second, I'm not sold on the way langstroth hives work as being worth having over ceramic pots. The only real advantage they have is that they take up less space, but they have quite a high startup cost and also have wear and tear that requires maintenance, but they ultimately don't provide enough output to be worth it. I have my apiary setup with 10 ceramic pots and a langstroth containing 20 frames. The issue with the langstoth hives is that the frames fill up at the same pace at the ceramic pots, 1 at a time, and you ultimately should be waiting until every frame is filled because disassembling the hive to harvest the frames resets the current progress towards more production. Immersion-wise, the langstroth hive is really neat to work with, but I think its output and maintenance cost make them more of hassle than they're worth beyond the immersion factor.

See thy way to the config file! Up the frame fill rate, and drop the time between refills to your hearts content!

I really appreciate all the support for FGC, and it will definitely getting an update in the coming months.  I'll try to address some of the bigger issues, with the handbook being one of the most important changes I could make for accessibility.  I also need to make it very clear that there's a config option available for those looking to tweak the output times of the hives to their satisfaction.

Ah, I also need to make the spawn rate change based on the number of days in a month, and the number of hours in a day. :)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Vinter Nacht said:

Ah, I also need to make the spawn rate change based on the number of days in a month, and the number of hours in a day. :)

I didn't even think about that factor, certainly one to consider! I'll definitely take a look at the config file, and I also need to re-evaluate my thoughts with a full 4-stack langstroth. My thoughts on it were based on having one with 2 supers, but since the langstroth does fill a frame from each super every time it does a fill, that doubled amount at harvest time time might make a big enough difference. I definitely enjoy the process each time the hive is ready to harvest, but being the only character on the server doing anything with bees, I've been relying on those ceramic hives to meet the wax and honey demands primarily.

• 3 weeks later...

1.18-v1.4.16-rc.1 Update! 

New Config Options, Bugs Squashed, Langstroth Buffed, Many Things Configurable!

Changed check for "knife" to EnumTool.Knife for better compatibility with other mods

Added the following config options and default values:

• General Settings:
    • "showcombpoptime": True
      • This value determines if the hive will show when it will next produce honeycomb. On Langstroth hives, it will also display the number of currently filled frames.
  • Skep Settings
    • "SkepDaysToHarvestIn30DayMonths": 7.0,
      • This is the number of days it will take for a skep to become harvestable in a month with 30 days. This is internally adjusted based on the currently configured days per month. (Defaults to 9 in Vanilla).
    • "SkepMinYield": 1
    • "SkepMaxYield": 3
      • These numbers show how many honeycombs a Skep will produce per cycle. It will be a number ranging between 1 & 3 in the default settings.
  • CeramicPot Settings
    • "CeramicPotDaysToHarvestIn30DayMonths": 7.0
      • As per Skeps, but for Ceramic Pots.
    •  "ClayPotMinYield": 2
       "ClayPotMaxYield": 4
      • As per skeps, but indicates honeycomb yield per harvest of the honeypot.
  • Langstroth Hive Settings
    • "LangstrothDaysToHarvestIn30DayMonths": 3.5
      • As Skeps and Ceramics, but indicates how many days it will take for the Langstroth to attempt to fill lined frames.
    • "MaxStackSize": 6
      • This value determines how high you can stack your Langstroth Hive.  You can set it as high as you like.  A stack size of 6 allows for a base, four supers, and a brood box and is roughly equivalent to 2 blocks high (and a bit).
    • "baseframedurability": 32
      • The durability of the frame. Works in the same manner as tools and other durability-enabled items in the base game. Currently, this is set to 32, meaning the frame must be relined every 32 harvests.
    • "minFramePerCycle": 2, "maxFramePerCycle": 4
      • This indicates the mix and max possible number of frames the Langstroth will fill per cycle (A cycle being 3.5 days by default). Averages 3, as is to be expected.
    • "FrameMinYield": 2, "FrameMaxYield": 5
      • Indicates the number of honeycombs a frame will yield when harvested. As in all the above cases, it ranges between 2-5, leaning towards 3 per frame per harvest.
Edited by Vinter Nacht
  • Like 2

Anyone have any issues regarding picking up any blocks related to this mod. I and desperate to use this mod and love it, but sadly anytime I try to pick up one of the blocks ive made it simply wont let me. 

Even worse im using the built in host and dont see the logs or consoles to determine the initial issue. Ill see what I can learn on my own

1 hour ago, Daeyra said:

Anyone have any issues regarding picking up any blocks related to this mod. I and desperate to use this mod and love it, but sadly anytime I try to pick up one of the blocks ive made it simply wont let me. 

Even worse im using the built in host and dont see the logs or consoles to determine the initial issue. Ill see what I can learn on my own

Have you tried having a backpack slot open? The ceramic hive, Langstroth Base, Langstroth Super, Langstroth Broodbox, and Frame Rack can *only* be carried in backpack slots, like the vanilla skep.

On 3/11/2023 at 3:53 PM, Thorfinn said:

I'll have to give the ceramics another shot, then. Particularly now that 1.18 appears to have seriously weakened standard beekeeping.

Simultaneously, I have vastly increased the configurability of the mod.  You should be able to have as many super-powered hives as you like. :)
It also automatically adapts for the number of hours in a day (Not those set by CalendarSpeedMul, but the configuration that lets you change the number of in-game hours in an in-game day.) and the number of days in a month.

Note that the default configuration assumes a 30 day month (But simultaneously assumes most people are playing on 9, and is set accordingly)

Thanks, LOL.

Wasn't looking for super-powered. Just not drastically nerfed from vanilla. Kind of like potash in reverse. One of the easiest things to make in limited quantities IRL, enough for gardening purposes, certainly, but incredibly rare in the game. Just as I don't want a potash mod that drastically changes the game balance, neither do I want a bee-keeping mod that drastically changes the balance.

For whatever reason, Tyron has set relative difficulty and rates and rarities to the kind of experience he was shooting for. Once I finish that to my satisfaction, then I'll have a go at what others think is the optimal experience.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I really enjoy having proper beekeeping with this mod(I only have my first Super, but will probably have another soon) but I have the same issue with bees not seeing flowers, despite my skeps seeing them just fine, they're even swarming which I assume means the vanilla bees are completely awake. I tried all kinds of flowers other than what I already have.  It seems the modded bees are more particular about the temperature than normal skeps, as they eventually caught up to the skep bees and saw the flowers around them.

So it also seems to go back to 0 for a while after re-assembling the hive after a harvest(skeps notice flowers instantly after placed). Seems the hive is just delayed on noticing flowers for a while?

I look forward to the updated version(eventually) to see what your upgraded skills can make of it in any case.

Edited by Beef Taquitos

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2023 at 6:13 PM, Beef Taquitos said:

I really enjoy having proper beekeeping with this mod(I only have my first Super, but will probably have another soon) but I have the same issue with bees not seeing flowers, despite my skeps seeing them just fine, they're even swarming which I assume means the vanilla bees are completely awake. I tried all kinds of flowers other than what I already have.  It seems the modded bees are more particular about the temperature than normal skeps, as they eventually caught up to the skep bees and saw the flowers around them.

So it also seems to go back to 0 for a while after re-assembling the hive after a harvest(skeps notice flowers instantly after placed). Seems the hive is just delayed on noticing flowers for a while?

I look forward to the updated version(eventually) to see what your upgraded skills can make of it in any case.

Yes, any time you disassemble the hive it resets.  This is merely emulating the skep behavior, but it also provides an important lesson in managing your hives.  Langstroth hives should be harvested infrequently to get maximum output.  If you only take them apart when they're full, you'll ensure you get the maximum possible yield with no delays. Otherwise, each time you check the hive, it has to go through the whole 'check for flowers', 'wait for the timer to fill frames' process again, rather than just ticking away to the next time it fills the frame.

Manage your hives wisely ;)

Edited by Vinter Nacht

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.