From Golden Combs (1.16-1.18) Apiculture Mod

Vinter Nacht

This mod looks very interesting, unfortunetly it doesn't work for me. I can't put Langstroth base or box into the inventory. I can only drop them. In fact I can put into the inventory only brood top and frame rack. Any others - I can make them, but I can't use them - just throw them away.

9 minutes ago, Draaven1 said:

This mod looks very interesting, unfortunetly it doesn't work for me. I can't put Langstroth base or box into the inventory. I can only drop them. In fact I can put into the inventory only brood top and frame rack. Any others - I can make them, but I can't use them - just throw them away.

Pretty sure they need to be carried in a bag slot. If that is not working, then you are seeing a bug. Works fine on our server.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the great gameplay expansion Vinter Nacht.

We have been using the From Golden Combs mod on our mods server for a long time, but recently had to disable it due to very high memory consumption by the client. Our server now has 60+ mods and we are trying to make it playable on a PC with at least 8GB of memory. We suspect that the increased memory consumption of the mod is caused by support for all types of wood for hive construction.
We ask to add to the config file ability to disable certain types of wood, or for simplicity, some "light" mode.
Oak and ancient wood should be enough.

• 1 month later...

I know it's been a hot minute since I responded in these forums, and I apologize for that. I don't always get notified when I have a new post here for some reason.

On 5/16/2022 at 2:55 PM, Garjouan said:

Question: In the handbook for the Langstroh hive, it says I need parts made from ebony boards and bald cypress wood. Does it HAVE to be those wood types, or can I use more "regular" wood, too?

You can make them from any combination of Langstroth Hive parts, this was my attempt to lighten the visual clutter of the Handbook.  There should be a better way, but presently, there doesn't appear to be one.

On 5/16/2022 at 1:02 AM, Cyraxan said:

Thanks for the great gameplay expansion Vinter Nacht.

We have been using the From Golden Combs mod on our mods server for a long time, but recently had to disable it due to very high memory consumption by the client. Our server now has 60+ mods and we are trying to make it playable on a PC with at least 8GB of memory. We suspect that the increased memory consumption of the mod is caused by support for all types of wood for hive construction.
We ask to add to the config file ability to disable certain types of wood, or for simplicity, some "light" mode.
Oak and ancient wood should be enough.

I'm quite sorry for the lengthy response time.  I'd be interested in communicating with you more about this.  It's possible that your deduction is accurate, though I find it unlikely that it would create that significant of a difference.in overall memory usage.  On the other hand, if this resolved your issue, then there may be something to it. 

Are you still in need of such a release?

• Like 1

On 6/17/2022 at 4:33 PM, Vinter Nacht said:

I know it's been a hot minute since I responded in these forums, and I apologize for that. I don't always get notified when I have a new post here for some reason.

You can make them from any combination of Langstroth Hive parts, this was my attempt to lighten the visual clutter of the Handbook.  There should be a better way, but presently, there doesn't appear to be one.

I'm quite sorry for the lengthy response time.  I'd be interested in communicating with you more about this.  It's possible that your deduction is accurate, though I find it unlikely that it would create that significant of a difference.in overall memory usage.  On the other hand, if this resolved your issue, then there may be something to it. 

Are you still in need of such a release?

Okay, cool! I was wondering if I had to go to a lengthy expedition to get those rather exotic woods for my hives (and if there was a real world reason why those two kinds). :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/3/2022 at 5:08 PM, Tom Ombre said:

The brood box goes down on the bottom of the hives, incase you wanted to make it more realistic. I have 150 hives irl lol

I was aware of that when I was designing the mod.  However, from a code-logic standpoint it was easier to have it on top.  I may change this eventually, but I also like the design of the hive-top and the distinctive appearance it gives.  So there was a bit of that as well ;)

On 8/8/2022 at 4:59 PM, Vinter Nacht said:

I know I didn't respond to this very quickly, for which I apologize.  However, have you been able to repeat this? Do you have logs?

well i lost the logs since then but you could just have it not go in a backpack slot at al. all I did was have my active slot be a backpack and i just picked it up when the hotbar is full with the backpack slot (not full).

• 2 weeks later...

I love this mod and commented on the ModDB! I've been re-reading Beekeeping with a Smile and I was thinking of a way to balance Langstroth Hives compared to Layens Hives and Warre Hives. I don't know if you've already thought of this, but I wanted to hear your thoughts!
Warre Hives are less prescriptive than Layens Langstroths, but are supposed to be significantly less maintenance for a vertical hive for the average hobbyist beekeeper. Perhaps, since you could often get frames with brood combs as they work in reverse without the sandwiching of the supers, so to speak; so there would be less micromanagement, but every now and again you get a Brood Comb which can be used to get beeswax, but no honey to reflect how they also produce less honey than Langstroths.
Since Layens Hives are much better for the natural beekeeper with little equipment, that seems as though it should be the way to go for horizontal hives. As reflected in life, they take far less work, and produce almost just as much, but take a bit longer to get going since the extra-deep frames need to be filled first, so maybe setting one up will mean that you don't get honey for a certain amount of time as the first 4 frames or so fill with honeycomb. I'm not sure how difficult it would be to have the bees fill horizontally, but they could fill a few external/overflow frames and then all you would have to do for winter would be to add some insulation on top (Let's say, like a piece of pelt or furs or linen.) and the bees take care of the rest. If you wanted it to reflect life moreso, since they are supposed to be significantly less maintenance for only one inspection or so a year, you *could* make it produce more but only once per entire year of production, but I'm not sure how difficult that would be in C#, I'm only vaguely familiar with programming in Python; Take a lot of what I'm saying with a grain of salt! Haha! 
Langstroths produce more honey much earlier, but at the cost of the quality of life of the bee, and the cost of other resources. Probably easier and more feasible to just make the Layens produce the normal equivalent or more, and be easier to maintain, but only harvestable once every certain number of days, much longer than the rest of them while taking up more space as well.
As an aside, I want to figure out if I can use the chisel mods to make tiny sculptures to "paint" the side of the hives, that would be fun!

I'm not sure what you're working on now, but that should be your priority. I wanted to give some feedback, and while feedback is important, don't let it mess with your vision! Don't push yourself to do stuff you don't want to do! You should work on something like this when you're passionate about it, and the fact that you respond so thoughtfully to people is such a wonderful, virtuous thing.

I'd love to hear your thoughts in general about how you went about making this! I know you've made some of the other mods like Golden Fields and the Hammer Fells from experience and historical perspective, so I know you gave all of these a lot of thought and love. You've probably put a lot of thought into these and are busy with your own life, but you're doing some amazing work so far and I just can't play this game without this mod. You've helped stoke my passion for bees and I cannot thank you enough for the hours you've put in here during your spare time. God Bless you and Thank you for all your work!

Edited by Stoutheart
  • Amazing! 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/8/2022 at 11:58 PM, Vinter Nacht said:

I was aware of that when I was designing the mod.  However, from a code-logic standpoint it was easier to have it on top.  I may change this eventually, but I also like the design of the hive-top and the distinctive appearance it gives.  So there was a bit of that as well ;)

You can split broodbox and roof. This way code-wise logic stay the same and broodbox will placed where it must be.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

There seems to be a bug where you can't pick up a fired ceramic brood pot. I made a raw one, fired it in a pit kiln, and when it was finished I tried to pick it up. Instead, it transformed into a smaller model of itself that can't be interacted it, but acts like a standard item drop in terms of being pushed around by blocks being put down.

2 hours ago, Pallanza said:

There seems to be a bug where you can't pick up a fired ceramic brood pot. I made a raw one, fired it in a pit kiln, and when it was finished I tried to pick it up. Instead, it transformed into a smaller model of itself that can't be interacted it, but acts like a standard item drop in terms of being pushed around by blocks being put down.

Make sure one of your bag slots is empty; the fired versions go to bag slots rather than regular inventory/hotbar slots.

• Vinter Nacht changed the title to From Golden Combs (1.16-1.18) Apiculture Mod

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.