Sparkle Kitti

Can pups be tamed now? The wiki references that they can't "as of 1.14"?

Did wolves run away after taking some damage before or is this new AI?

Is there a way to see what the temperature is where you are?

Does the music playing tell you anything about your immediate environment?

Can rifts be closed?

Do rifts affect local temporal stability?

Are rifts created when the chunk loads, or can they spawn later in an area you've been already?

If they spawn after world gen, does your temporal stability affect the odds of one spawning near you?

Wolves cannot be tamed, unless you have a mod. They would always run away after falling below a certain HP, like pretty much everything else.

Opening the character info screen (C by default) shows the temperature, among other things.

Music changes if you're in caves (or areas the game thinks are caves, such as if you wall yourself in with dirt), but I don't think there are other location-based effects.

Rifts spawn and despawn periodically at random, and their probability is affected by the local rift activity value, which you can see in the aforementioned character menu (C key). I think being too near a rift affects your temporal stability, not the other way around. However, having very low stability causes effects similar to standing in a rift (or perhaps it's better thought of the other way around, standing in a rift causes similar effects to low temporal stability).

11 hours ago, Sparkle Kitti said:

One discovery that I just made: Rift activity and area rainfall is variable and changes as the game progresses. I was so happy to see common rainfall and low rift activity but now they've both changed

Rift activity I knew about, but rainfall changes is new to me. Is that a new mechanic or am I just insufficiently observant?

On 1/4/2022 at 12:16 AM, Philtre said:

The climates cycle between equatorial and arctic in the N-S direction, with the interval between cycles set by the options you selected at world gen (defaults to 50 thousand blocks, IIRC, so a looooong way). So if you spawn in a temperate region (the default) and head south, it will get warmer, then colder, then warmer again, then colder again, etc, until you hit the world border. Starting from a temperate spawn on standard settings, expect to walk for a couple of real-world hours before you hit an equatorial region.

4 hours ago, Philtre said:

Rift activity I knew about, but rainfall changes is new to me. Is that a new mechanic or am I just insufficiently observant?

Rainfall is specific to chunks areas. Some are more arid, some rain all the time,etc. It will be always the same at X chunk. So if you hate rain dont establish yourself in an area it says it rains almost all the time ;)

38 minutes ago, Aledark said:

Rainfall is specific to chunks areas. Some are more arid, some rain all the time,etc. It will be always the same at X chunk. So if you hate rain dont establish yourself in an area it says it rains almost all the time ;)

That was my understanding of the situation, but Sparkle Kitti was mentioning seeing the rainfall value of an area change, so I wondered if it was a new mechanic, or a bug....

4 hours ago, Aledark said:

To my knowledge, Sparkle might of just crossed a chunk border like if you do .debug wireframe chunk maybe Sparkle was at edge of two chunks hence why it changed...unless this was recently changed in 1.16 and im unaware of it.

That could be, tho it's the difference of my farm vs my house i think

1 hour ago, Sparkle Kitti said:

On a new game I found a spot I liked and checked that there was calm rift activity in the whole area. Now it's medium. So it's definitely changing,

Temporar stability is different from rift activity.

Rift activity changes with time and his world wide while temporal stability is set in stone in a chunk basis to a certain degree of pos or negativitym more chance to be negative as you drive deeper in the world

• 3 weeks later...

Calm = no rifts. It's the lowest rift activity.

Edit: from riftweather.json:

patterns:
        { code: "calm", chance: 0.5, mobSpawnMul: 0, durationHours: { avg: 15, var: 10 }, startTotalHours: 72 },
        { code: "low", chance: 0.15, mobSpawnMul: 0.2, durationHours: { avg: 15, var: 10 }, startTotalHours: 72 },
        { code: "medium", chance: 0.3, mobSpawnMul: 1, durationHours: { avg: 15, var: 10 }, startTotalHours: 0 },
        { code: "high", chance: 0.1, mobSpawnMul: 1.5, durationHours: { avg: 9, var: 5}, startTotalHours: 72 },
        { code: "veryhigh", chance: 0.05, mobSpawnMul: 2, durationHours: { avg: 7, var: 3}, startTotalHours: 480 },
        { code: "apocalyptic", chance: 0.02, mobSpawnMul: 4, durationHours: { avg: 5, var: 2 }, startTotalHours: 720 }

Edited by Philtre
Info from game code
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.