What do you want to see more of in base game?/ Possible mod integration

FizzyB

More foes, even "normal" nature, but not just "this will kill you". 

Crows that steal shiny things if you leave them out too long (Copper nuggets on the surface, gears, etc.) so you have to find their nests to get them back. 

Ravens that alert foes nearby as they caw at you. 

Poison ivy/poison oak where if you stand on it too long/without proper boots and leggings, you get a bit of damage every now and then. Same with stinging nettle and other similar agitative plants. (Add more medicine to counter it.) 

I want nature to be scary, but not super punishing unless you're careless early-on. 

• Like 1

On 5/5/2022 at 10:13 PM, YangKoete said:

Poison ivy/poison oak where if you stand on it too long/without proper boots and leggings, you get a bit of damage every now and then

That's a great idea, honestly not a hard one to implement either. Maybe even make the poison oak into medicines like it is in real life! Poison oak was used in medicines to treat pain and arthritis and some skin conditions, and as a contraceptive funny enough.

51 minutes ago, Garjouan said:

I'd like to see that fire, especially torches, scare away animals, especially wolves. Maybe only if you use them in a normal slot and not in your offhand, purely for balancing (protection at the cost of an inventory slot).

Honestly that seems like a gimmi feature, making torches slightly repel non-aggro wolves and campfires keeping them from walking into an area. Could be used to keep foxes and raccoons out your berry patches too!

• Like 2

my top three picks in order:

1. More hostile mobs and reasons to go looking for them. Outside of sculpting there is not really a lot to do once you unlock end game items and establish a steady food supply. I'd like there to be more reasons for me to want to pursue better gear. something exciting to explore that would have been too dangerous to tackle earlier on. So things like rare structures with special items in it that are guarded by mobs would be great, especially if they have something more interesting than drifters in them. maybe even a boss or two. Something for you to get excited about finding. 

Maybe a few more surface mobs too. nothing too drastic, but right now the only thing you have to worry about on the surface is wolves and rift activity. 

2. more decorative block types + colors. Especially light source blocks or items. 

3. a way to make things cold in warmer climates. mostly looking at fruit trees here but being able to get water to freeze over, cool down heat sensitive crops or make blue cheese would also be nice. basically we have the green house that helps us keep crops warm in cold climates, but its harder to keep things cold in hot climates. (like right now im trying to grow some cold weather trees at build height in a tropical zone but i dont think it will work) maybe give all that glacier ice a good use! 

• Like 1

-drifters trashed for a more natural enemy like trolls
- like mentioned above, more surface mobs like ravens n stuff
-easier ways to make iron / less annoying 
- completely revise the whole combat system. it sucks ass
- dynamic recipes instead of specific ones, like 5 meat 1 fish meat and 3 cranberries can make something
-all of the farm life mod should be in the base game. same with primitivesurvival, carrycapacity
-levers and mechanical hijinks, so you can make big ports without that medieval mod

• Like 1

Come to think of it, I'd love to see firearms, like flintlocks and the like.

You could have the whole historical development, too, starting with matchlocks, then wheellocks, flintlocks etc.

Basically the late game variant of the bows, the moment you have blasting powder. Casting bullets would also give lead another use.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Garjouan said:

Come to think of it, I'd love to see firearms, like flintlocks and the like.

You could have the whole historical development, too, starting with matchlocks, then wheellocks, flintlocks etc.

Basically the late game variant of the bows, the moment you have blasting powder. Casting bullets would also give lead another use.

Right there with ya boss, cept, there isn't much to use guns on, asides from nightmare drifters, and most of the time you don't really have the luxury of ranged engagement with em since you only really see em in the caves. Having a one shot musket that deals tonnes of damage and requires a lot of work to fire sounds awesome, but really would only make sense in PvP uses, unfortunately. Would be fun to make and try and use though!

you talked about poisening, what about a new trader-class? And more medic herbs, ginger? More Medic than a Trader, a shamane, he will cure from poisening and other illness, the seraph should get illness, heavy cold, poisening, malaria, rabbies (from Wolfbite/Foxbite e.g.). Small, but dangerous small animlas, spiders (surface spiders, not the spiders in in the caves), snakes which can poisen you. 

11 hours ago, FizzyB said:

Right there with ya boss, cept, there isn't much to use guns on, asides from nightmare drifters, and most of the time you don't really have the luxury of ranged engagement with em since you only really see em in the caves. Having a one shot musket that deals tonnes of damage and requires a lot of work to fire sounds awesome, but really would only make sense in PvP uses, unfortunately. Would be fun to make and try and use though!

Honestly, I thought more about hunting than fighting. But yeah, a blunderbuss or so could be a thing in the mines...

• 1 month later...

More starting equipment.

I know, I know! Put away the torches and pitchforks! Hear me out first! Then you can hang me, if you still think I deserve it.

I know part of the appeal of these games is the survival aspect. In Vintage Story moreso than other games like it (Minecraft the prime example, obviously).
But the completely naked start has never sat well with me.
Who are we? Where did we come from? Where are our tools? Victuals? Not even a waterskin?
How did we survive as long as we did to end up so completely removed from the society that we presumably departed from?

Obviously I wouldn't suggest entering the game fully kitted out in steel armour and weaponry, with a fully stocked larder behind us. Obviously not.
But something? Anything? Hardtack? Jerky? A simple stone knife. Or a very crude multitool that'll last just long enough to get the barest shelter up. Some seeds if you want to be extremely generous. Or a simple foodstuff that will give you a seed.

I know the balancing would be hard. Make it an optional starting feature, for those who don't want it at all.
But make the start of the game... not easier. But less frantic and "brutal".

Survival is a long term thing. The short term ought to be a bit more bearable. EDIT: Obviously survival depends as much on the short term. I get that. But a short term mistake can still affect you in the long term. That's what I mean./EDIT

In my opinion, anyway. I know a lot of you will strongly disagree. And I know there's a mod out there already that does this, but it'd be nice to have it in the game officially.
It's a sorely missed thing in a lot of these survival games.

Edited by Melfice
  • Thanks 1

That sounds fine, but it might be more fun to let people pick their starting equipment, even if it's just according to class. Or maybe a point-buy system so you can have 10 points and 2 points gets you a flint axe and 1 point gets you 4 cooked redmeat or something. 

• Mind=blown 1

A point-buy system would be great, and class-based sounds great too.

Regardless of how you implement it, balancing would still be difficult. But giving the playing something at all would be nice, especially in single-player where you can't rely on others to share the load.

43 minutes ago, Melfice said:

But the completely naked start has never sat well with me.
Who are we? Where did we come from? Where are our tools? Victuals? Not even a waterskin?
How did we survive as long as we did to end up so completely removed from the society that we presumably departed from?

I mean, I agree with you, but you don't necessarily start completely naked. You DO have the clothes on your back, and that is worth something. Now starting with a copper knife or axe wouldn't really bootstrap the game more than like, 15 minutes since the biggest difference between copper and flint is a negligible speed and it's hit points... Hell even a copper pick wouldn't make that big of a change since most players can get to copper in like, 2 in game days. As currently sits, starting with food, even if it was a "large" amount like a wheel of cheese or a pie, it wouldn't really put you any farther ahead, since regardless you are gonna look for more anyways. I dunno! I think the class bonuses are fun, but starting gear would still be even better if you had a point buy system, including clothes for the fashonistas in the valley. You could make it as difficult as you want too by starting ACTUALLY naked and having to actually keep track of if you are wet or overheating. Could be fun.

Take into consideration the opening and closing texts when loading and quitting a game.   When loading part of the welcome is remembering and a call to Return Again.  When quitting a sigh of loneliness.  Indicates to me that the seraph we play enters and leaves the world as if by transitioning to and from the game world dimension.  If that's the case, why would we have something beyond the clothes on our back?  At least it beats Kyle Reese (father of John Connor) who shows up literally nekkid.

2 minutes ago, Maelstrom said:

I think it comes down to the personal cannon/lore we players inject.

My sentiments exactly, you don't HAVE to keep what you spawn with, clothes included. Most of us do, because the bonus is negligible and wears off basically as soon as we notice it was even there in the first place, and unless you are playing in a cold or hot biome, you never even notice it in the first place. If you decide that your particular seraph is the commando you always knew they could be, that's up to you to do, I'd wager most players wouldn't mind the quicker start to the newer updates, to reach the new content faster, and new players wouldn't mind the early crutch to lean on without making the entire world easier for the rest of that playthrough. Besides, like I said before, it ultimately wouldn't change much at all if you DID spawn with a tool of your choice, since you would still need other tools and work areas to really use it effectively. The only tool I think would really unbalance the start would be a saw. As you would instantly have storage, building materials, doors and whatnot. A pick would still need a hammer to progress faster, and a crucible and fuel to be utilized at a fuller use. I'll double down on this too. I think starting with a steel knife would not be impactful enough to lesson the playtime to get to your desired level by more than just grind time, and starting with flint or equal equipment would literally save minutes at the beginning, and nothing more.

1 hour ago, Maelstrom said:

I think it comes down to the personal cannon/lore we players inject.   For me the seraph is aware and accepts the grueling start, ala Kyle Reese in the opening of Terminator.

No reason we couldn't have an option to allow for starting equipment or to... just not do that. I'd probably do the challenge mode unless I had a specific character in mind that I wanted to make a theme around.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, l33tmaan said:

No reason we couldn't have an option to allow for starting equipment or to...

No sir!  That shall not be allowed!  🤪

Didn't mean for my comment to imply strict exclusion of the option for starting equipment, especially if it makes it fun for others.  Like you, I'm fine with the whole show up on the scene "nekkid as a jay bird" option.

58 minutes ago, l33tmaan said:

But that isn't an option. It should be! NO CLOTHES, NO ITEMS, NO NUTRITION, START AT 25% HP AND YOU'RE STARVING!

These are the pitchforks and torches I was expecting!
More! Give me more! Tighter that noose!
YES!

Edited by Melfice
  • Haha 1

The ability to pick up small animals. Chickens, chicks, baby sheep(or are they goats?), and wolf pups. Put them in your off hand and don't allow moving them anywhere else until you put them back down. Or maybe a cage backpack like the bee hive things where you put it on then somehow get the target creature into it.  

Better way to set spawn. I've never found a temporal gear meaning I either have to set up right at spawn or trek all the way from spawn to home. The method for setting spawn should be a peaceful path IMO, I.e. collect some materials and craft a spawn point. (or am I missing something?)

Edited by Domtron Vox
  • Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.