What do you want to see more of in base game?/ Possible mod integration

FizzyB

Temporal gears are rare for a reason, and even if they did make some kind of spawn changing craft, it would either require temp. Gears or would be the wooden bed, which takes about as long or longer to get, nature of the beast unfortunately. Almost all the mods that allow you to teleport or change your spawn or create nexus of fast travel all require the temp. gears since they ARE that hard to get. I'm usually for streamlined gameplay, but it makes sense that they are how they are.

On 6/25/2022 at 8:24 AM, Garjouan said:

I found a lot of temporal gears. Either from drifters or by sifting.

But picking up small animals would be a big QoL improvement. Along with the ability to lure larger animals.

I really hope this is in a not far off future update. I know Tyron has stated they plan to revamp animal husbandry as a whole and they already have a cage item in the vanilla game. 

There is a mod - there is a mod where trees spread out themselves (without sapplings, seeds). As in real nature. I like that. But it should be expanded. Trees, but also other plants such as berry bushes should also die off.

Old age, force of nature like lightning, storm, fire, drought, lightning, drought, disease (fungus e.g.) -and animals like beavers, caterpillars can kill tree.

Edited by RobinHood

Generally I would like more variables to world option for difficulty tweaks.

I'm a fairly heavy mod user, so hard to pin-point anything specific, but many I would like not as a full feature but a togglable setting. Eg. I currently use Backpack pack+ and stacks on my normal world, but want a wilderness survival without stack size increase and the standard size backpack pack mod.

But same as tool speed and durability having a worldgen rule, stuff like stack size and slots/containers (both carryable and stationary) should have different presets. 

In that similar vein, the starter-kit can be a world setting too, with default as-is for wilderness, a very limited point-shop for normal and a more forgiving for exploration mode, the stock of the starter-shop differing on classes maybe.

And there is Anvil metal recovery mod... great concept, but the balancing is a bit iffy. Given how we have the nuggets of 5 units, and the molds at 100, I'm hoping the current system is just the basis, and we will have different metal amount needs for molds. Breaking metal tools shouldn't just void them either, doesn't feel realistic... but getting back most of it back is bad for balancing... maybe tie this ratio to a world option too? 

I'd like to see greater customization to temporal storms.  Currently strength and frequency are included in the same setting.  I'd like to keep the strength but decrease the frequency.  Willing to bet if I thought on this more I could add a couple of other options to further customize it, like drifter spawning.

• Like 2

On 7/1/2022 at 9:08 PM, Maelstrom said:

I'd like to see greater customization to temporal storms.  Currently strength and frequency are included in the same setting.  I'd like to keep the strength but decrease the frequency.  Willing to bet if I thought on this more I could add a couple of other options to further customize it, like drifter spawning.

I'd love to have the option of having temporal storms without temporal stability toggled on. Temporal stability often prevents me from using a nice area for building hence i turn it off, sadly that turns off storms and with that swarms of drifters.

Edited by Hal13

I'd like to see secondary resources added to more trees. Currently there's just resin from pine trees. It would be nice to be able to strip bark from birch trees to make birch beer or to tap maple trees for maple sap, to be processed into syrup as an alternative to honey in colder climates. Pretty sure there are a couple of mods for this, but it would be nice to see it in the base game.

The Carry Capacity mod ability to move chests and storage vessels around would be nice to see in the base game as well.

Edited by Troy

8 minutes ago, Troy said:

I'd like to see secondary resources added to more trees. Currently there's just resin from pine trees. It would be nice to be able to strip bark from birch trees to make birch beer or to tap maple trees for maple sap, to be processed into syrup as an alternative to honey in colder climates. Pretty sure there are a couple of mods for this, but it would be nice to see it in the base game.

The Carry Capacity mod ability to move chests and storage vessels around would be nice to see in the base game as well.

You know, byproducts and secondary resources in general would be pretty great. You craft something and get something that automatically drops when you craft it, like peanut shells or something.

Just yesterday I was thinking about how cool it would be to have a carving grid like the napping and pottery too, to make various things you might carve out of wood, even if they are just cosmetic...

10 minutes ago, FizzyB said:

You know, byproducts and secondary resources in general would be pretty great. You craft something and get something that automatically drops when you craft it, like peanut shells or something.

Funny, they do that in Expanded Foods.

A few random thoughts... I'm sure they've probably already been mentioned.

A faster road option - maybe paved so it's more resources intensive but goes faster.  I've got some long roads!

Rope - you could tie off and use to climb into/out of the big shaft like caves

Flower box - could be attached to the wall

Speed up animal breeding - Has anyone every gotten to level 10 farm animals?!? lol!

A device that can help you find underground ruins

A device that can stop drifter spawns for bases - one that's area is upgradable with more/better resources - to replace having to space out lanterns to stop spawns in your fields and outdoor work areas

Elevator - faster ladder travel because some of them can be quite long

Machinery for sluicing sand - also add sand with more gold or silver to go prospecting for

Edited by Builder Bob
  • Like 1

Pretty much everything from the frequently suggested pin,

My particular love, in-game companion taming for wolves, bunnies, etc.  The mods are great, but having it fully implemented baseline and adjustable from there would be better.  Been hoping over that ever since the 2020 trailer with the critters sitting around the campfire!  Similarly, greater creature variety and simple interactions between creatures in the wild beyond chase-to-kill does so, so much for giving the world a sense of life and making biomes/temperature zones feel different from one another.  Environmental damage to creatures often seems to default to them thinking a player did it and going after whoever's closest, which feels very awkward at times.  Seen a drifter thump a sheep with a rock, and the sheep immediately turns to the closest player--having the wildlife be as willing to go after the occasional drifter as they are the player might feel a bit more immersive.

Monster variety, and leaning into the time-twisting Lovecraftian horror and fantasy inspiration of the game.  Temporal stability down in the deep and storms, plus the drifter management that goes with them, can be interesting.  It's also repetitive, and sometimes 'hide in safe spot' is boring enough that people just alt tab out during storms - therefore not as engaging as it should be.  Alien flora, and corrupt creatures both passive and aggressive, in unstable overworld zones is a possibility.  There are so many settings/ttrpgs/games/books/movies/etc out there with temporal dissonance and fantasy/horror elements where inspiration could be drawn that specific suggestions probably aren't necessary.  A variety of ways to make use of temporal powers as in-game lore implies former organizations once did, for more than clockworkers, albeit at a price.  Things that give buffs like movement or gathering speed specifically for going into unstable areas, or setting up a hasted ranch for quicker generations, or holding an area 'out of time' for a summer greenhouse effect or a little pocket of eternal winter for glacial ice production.  Gadgets or artifacts that allow such should remain rare, but taking advantage of rifts or storms to charge temporal items, or carrying them down into the deep to recharge them with the ambient instability at risk of their loss?  That has potential.

World generation, structural variety, flora, and continued terrain improvements.  It's gotten a bit better every major patch.  Existing ruins are nice to come across, but having them more often match the stone of the terrain they're immediately found on would be a touch more immersive.  Abandoned structures, trader camps, holdout villages, spots where drifters have gathered for some reason, hermit hideaways or a lone hunter camp out in the woods, a few more techy lairs beyond the rare translocator ruin, so on and so forth would be welcome; mods add a lot, and there's a potential for so much more that could expand the lore and sense that there's a living world when not playing on a populous server.  For terrain generation, the game can generate absolutely gorgeous vistas, especially after tweaking map height, but there's the potential for so much more.  Cold start maps and chilly temperate-to-frozen zones in particular start to feel very samey, but boreal biomes, high altitude areas, and tundra honestly have a lot of variety to them that could go on the roadmap.  Mesas, canyons, rivers and oceans(a popular suggestion), volcanic tuff if not volcanic area features (geysers? colorful hot springs? flow rocks?) might also be interesting to see.  Underground generation similarly needs some love, though I've come across a few seriously impressive multi-level caves.  Temporal instability could also have an effect on generation here, with 'weird' things showing up in heavily unstable pockets, like dying underground forests, or a chunk of jungle, ice caves, generally out of place stuff, what have you.

While I feel like linear story progression would hurt this game more than help it, given the open world sandbox and survival is such a key element to play, the ability to find more organic story beats and nods to the real-life influences mentioned in the game would be wonderful.  Quests and NPCs or world gen structures are a possibility.  I'd love to see a few more takes on the mad scientist's lab buried a mile underground, where they attempted to figure out what, exactly, went wrong with time before the drifters or their own madness got to them.  Finding exposed stone or caves with carvings, arrowheads, and hints that others tried to pass through.  Maybe a few traders have a word or two to say about religion and the Hamsa, or about their own journey, or why they've stopped where they have.  Maybe there's Sami nomads still out there somewhere with some tips about cold weather gear, reindeer husbandry, and warding away drifters from camps.

Edited by iotid
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2022 at 12:01 AM, Builder Bob said:

A device that can stop drifter spawns for bases - one that's area is upgradable with more/better resources - to replace having to space out lanterns to stop spawns in your fields and outdoor work areas

Actually, if I recall correctly, TerraFirmaCraft used to have (and the current ports may or may not do, I don't know) a feature that the longer you were in a spot the less likely it became for hostile mobs to spawn.

Something like that might be nice, but it may be resource intensive on the game, I don't know.

So, your homestead/farm/castle/city should be "free" from drifter spawns, but outside that area it's a free-for-all.

I say "free" because I don't think it should completely eliminate spawning, but that's what lighting up your area should do.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2022 at 3:15 PM, Melfice said:

Something like that might be nice, but it may be resource intensive on the game, I don't know

That should be fine, it's basically the reversed local difficulty mechanic from Minecraft. Maybe the more a chunk gets changed from the state it generated in, the more stable it becomes and hence the less monster spawn? Maybe drifters could impose some temporal stability drain to the player when close by (idk maybe if less than 5 blocks away, though not too much, just enough to be noticeable, just get that gear moving), giving an actual incentive to get rid of them quickly or build safe rooms big enough to keep them away far enough. Then the own base would be mostly safe but in a storm.

On 7/23/2022 at 4:27 AM, Green said:

It would be cool if they added any other Monster to the game since Drifter is the only one and personally I would be so happy if they added more things related to the medieval era (Personal opinion, not necessary).

Have you not encountered locusts?  

On 7/21/2022 at 11:26 AM, Hal13 said:

That should be fine, it's basically the reversed local difficulty mechanic from Minecraft. Maybe the more a chunk gets changed from the state it generated in, the more stable it becomes and hence the less monster spawn? Maybe drifters could impose some temporal stability drain to the player when close by (idk maybe if less than 5 blocks away, though not too much, just enough to be noticeable, just get that gear moving), giving an actual incentive to get rid of them quickly or build safe rooms big enough to keep them away far enough. Then the own base would be mostly safe but in a storm.

I feel like we are on the cusp of a really unique and fun idea here, like make there be some kinda stability beacon that the player builds to keep drifters away, and the storms out. Maybe make storms much much more dangerous, and the only safe place is the places where you have the beacons, or I dunno something more on theme like a clocktower or something. It would make a need for maybe multiple bases in case you get caught out in a storm and are too far away from your base. Or be forced to shack up with a trader for a night or two. I feel like you could explain drifters, what happened to the seraphim and everything with that, at least more than it is now, while making a whole unique feeling of survival in an alien and hostile world.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.