Most patient Vintarians!
Game dev is like a roller coaster
No video just yet
Everytime I want to get recording I notice a gazillion imperfections that I want to fix, so I did those first >.<
Until next time hopefully.
Saraty and me had our very first usable multiplayer experience and built a small house together (picture below). Still more bugs to squash but that felt totally awesome <3
Alright, let's dig into the git commit log to see what has changed.
So I did a lot of polishing, well mostly bugfixes. I usually don't share these, but this time I'll give you a behind the scenes look:
- Fixed chunks generating twice under certain conditions
- Fixed a water wave rendering glitch at chunk borders
- Fixed 2 bugs preventing the standalone server to start
- Fixed particles wrongly colored from block light and fixed transparent overlapping particles getting very dark.
- Fixed player characters not illuminated by block light and also fixed precision errors when rendering the character at large coordiantes
- Fixed Chunk frustum culling being disabled -.-
- Fixed FXAA not working
- Fixed /help (cmd) command not recognizing mod commands. .help commands now also sorted alphabetically.
- Fixed worldgen mod not reloading landforms on server restart
- Fixed memory not being freed after leaving a multiplayer game
- Fixed snow layer replacing leaves during world generation
- Fixed snow layer not rendering if a solid block is above
- Fixed changing game mode in multiplayer not correctly interpreted by the connected clients
- Chests and Ladders now have correct collision and selection boxes and are orientable (n e s w)
- Fixed chunk loader suddenly stopping to generate new chunks after some time. Added another debug command to track such kinds of bugs.
- Refactored Multilanguage support
- Fixed not being able to climb out of 2 block deep water
Added red mushroom block
- Added a block patch generator that can produce patches of flowers, different grass, mushroom rings, and later hopefully some smaller patches of sand and gravel near lakes.
- Tweaked climate tinting textures to be a bit more pretty
- Continued work on block layer generation: Works a bit better again, tweaked the grass layer, still not seeing any sandy deserts for some reason.
Tweaked landform generator: Mountains and Grasslands probably look better now
Sound and sound engine updates:
Refactored the sound engine. The old code was super frustrating for me so I finally went ahead and refactored it. The code is now way cleaner and shorter too. Changing the sound level in the settings now also adjusts all currently running sounds.
Blocks can now have randomized breaking, placing and stepping-on sounds again freely configurable by anyone. I've spent a day collecting and editing various sounds for the most common blocks. Added about 50 new sounds to the game. Most of them are decent, some need improvement still
- Refactored the sound engine. The old code was super frustrating for me so I finally went ahead and refactored it. The code is now way cleaner and shorter too. Changing the sound level in the settings now also adjusts all currently running sounds.
Small fun features
- Each time you you open the "new world" screen, a world name is randomly generated (e.g. "Gloomy Kingdom Worlds")
- Breaking blocks in creative mode also spawns particles
- All block sounds now also have a slightly randomized pitch, which sounds super funky. Maybe too funky for our theme