Directional Audio setting in 19.0-rc6 rename

Zoomer

Hello everyone! That's my first forum post here. 

My family and I are enjoying Vintage Story together. Fantastic game.

There's a new setting on the audio tab in the settings (that's also mentioned in the changelog) named "Positional Audio". The name is a bit misleading since, judging by the change log and my observations, it simply disables the SoftOAL's HTRF solution. While for 2.0/2.1 sound systems and headphones it could relate to 'positional' (with a stretch), with surround systems it doesn't actually make any sense.

The OpenAL is always positional if there's a 3d soundscape, and it always properly positions sound sources around the player/camera.

So disabling HTRF with surround system doesn't remove any positioning. You're still getting a surround sound with properly positioned sound sources, only the soundscape is a bit cleaner since HTRF is rarely benefitting users with surround systems. So in a way, having it disabled with such a sound setup might be even preferred. So I propose something like "Enable HTRF audio processing" or something similar.

On the topic of SoftOAL (though a bit off-topic for this thread), there's some weirdness with sound positioning compared to the Creative's original implementation. The thing is, every sound gets upmixed and put in 3d sound scene, even if it is a stereo music track which is already panned to the left and right channel when it was mixed. This results in unnecessary upmixing, introducing additional Left and Right channel crosstalk in 2.0/2.1 systems - though that isn't really noticeable. What's really noticeable is when using a surround system, the stereo music starts playing from the center channel, drowning the left and right speakers (which are usually larger and higher quality than the center speaker anyway).

I have an open issue on the openal-soft github here: https://github.com/kcat/openal-soft/issues/837 

The dev's conclusion was that it is not a bug but a feature. However, kcat does mention that there's a specific Soft-oal workaround for that: using the "AL_SOFT_direct_channels[_remix]" softoal extension.

Would it be possible to implement this workaround in Vintage Story as it solely relies on Soft OpenAL anyway?

By the way, I've tried using the hardware OpenAL by replacing soft-oal's OpenAL32.dll and the game starts stuttering evey 1 or 2 seconds after 10 minutes of gameplay with it, but that's extremely off-topic.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.