how much bandwidth does the game consume?

Lucien

Hello, this question may seem strange to you but I live in Cuba and here the bandwidth is really limited (1Megabit) so I would like to know if that is good to play with, I can play Minecraft with that bandwidth. Will I be able to play Vintage? 😢 I love the game by the way 

I'm going to create a private server in my own country (in a VPS), so there won't be much latency issues 

Edited by Lucien

• 2 weeks later...

Is your bandwidth limited in Quantity or Speed?

Not sure how universal this info is, but when first connecting to my private server on another PC inside my own LAN I need to Download about 1Mb of info from it, being in a LAN I have more or less "unlimited" speed as far as something like VS is concerned so I load in in a 1 or 2 seconds, which means I'm likely going as high as 5 or 6 Mbps for speed. When I was in the game, running about my base, opening containers and moving items around in my inventory the game usually ran at 1.5-2.5 Mbps It's possible that running into fresh territory where the server needs to generate/call up new terrain and then share it with you might be higher however; I didn't test that.

At 2 Mbps you'll 'move' a little over 1 Gb of data per hour. In contrast, Minecraft is said (as far as I can find on google searches) to only use anywhere from 100 to 500 MB per hour; I think the low number was for Bedrock edition as people were talking about "Mobile data" and the higher number was from someone testing Java edition. (The connected to a server and walking in a straight line for 10 minutes to get a idea of how much an hour would take)

Which means that even at it's "fastest" Minecraft appears to only need half as much speed as Vintage story, so I would ask, how many people will be connecting to this private server? Have you make a similar private server for minecraft, and if so, how many people were able to use it without lag? 2 Mbps isn't much in the US, but it looks like the average in Cuba is anywhere between 1 Mbps to 9 Mbps? I would suspect you'll want at least 4 - 6 Mbps to run a server with more than 1 or 2 players. But I'm just completely spitballing off 5 minutes of only barely relevant testing and a few google searches.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.