Run Linux VintageStory on macOS?

_Dagobert_Duck
Go to solution Solved by _Dagobert_Duck,

Dear VS Community,

I will soon have a mac and I actually want to run VS on it. Unfortunately, macOS support dropped years ago. So my question is, because macOS and Linux are both Unix-based, is it possible to run the Linux version of the game on macOS? Or is there another solution (like running a VM on the mac) ? 

Thank you for your ideas,

Scrooge McDuck (_Dagobert_Duck)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution

So, 

I solved the problem on my own and I do not want to prevent you from seeing it:

So, I found out that there is a download for macOS in the "Download" section (what a cognition!).

I installed this file on my Mac (MacBook Pro 2021 16 inch base model) like any other app. But I had to change something in the config of the game, because as I were in-game, the GUI and the tool bar were hidden if a block outline was shown. So for that, open finder, press  command + shift + .  , open .config/VintagestoryData and open the "client settings.json" file. In that, change the boolean selectedBlockOutline from true to false. That's it.

Happy Playing,

Scrooge

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 4/28/2022 at 9:18 PM, _Dagobert_Duck said:

So, 

I solved the problem on my own and I do not want to prevent you from seeing it:

So, I found out that there is a download for macOS in the "Download" section (what a cognition!).

I installed this file on my Mac (MacBook Pro 2021 16 inch base model) like any other app. But I had to change something in the config of the game, because as I were in-game, the GUI and the tool bar were hidden if a block outline was shown. So for that, open finder, press  command + shift + .  , open .config/VintagestoryData and open the "client settings.json" file. In that, change the boolean selectedBlockOutline from true to false. That's it.

Happy Playing,

Scrooge

Bought the game too sometime ago, haven’t installed it yet because i have to install mono, do you perhaps know if thats the only thing to do together with this to have it run on mac? Or are there a lot of configuration tweaks imma have to do?

On 6/14/2022 at 8:06 PM, Ramone Bronwasser said:

Bought the game too sometime ago, haven’t installed it yet because i have to install mono, do you perhaps know if thats the only thing to do together with this to have it run on mac? Or are there a lot of configuration tweaks imma have to do?

Already downloaded it and fixed the mouse issues, only having the hud issues as to which the command shift thing doesn’t really do anything, how did you manage it to work?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Ramona, 

I've found out a GREAT FIX to get rid of almost all issues on macOS. Here is a "fix-it guide":

1st: Download vintagestory for mac.

2nd: Extract the tar ball you just downloaded.

3rd: Rename "vintagestory.app" to "vintagestory" (strip the .app suffix: rightclick the app archive->get Info->then rename it)

4th: in that folder, go to assets/game/textures/gui/cursors and remove all textures. (not the coords.json, keep that!)

5th: go out of all that folders and rename your "vintagestory" folder back to "vintagestory.app"

6th: open system preferences->privacy and allow input monitoring for "vintagestory.app" and "sh".

7th: open the app (you may notice that there's no more mouse texture.)

8th: go to settings->interface and make sure that developer is off and immersive mouse mode is turned off.

9th: set graphic settings to verylow, low, medium or high 

10th: set "optimze ram" to "optimize somewhat"

11th: enjoy playing :D

~Dago 

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.