Do animals eat berries / berry bushes?

Soptík
Go to solution Solved by Philtre,

Hi,

I'm playing for the first time, I'm in the summer and trying to start building a farm so I can gather enough food for winter.

Do I need to plant berry bushes inside a fence, or may I leave them outside my farm? I didn't find whether wild animals eat them.

Also, is there any way of getting more seeds? So far it looks like every plant drops exactly one. (Except for trees, which don't drop anything most of the time it looks like)

Thank you!

• Solution

Raccoons will eat berries, I don't think anything else will. So if your area doesn't have raccoons your berries will be OK, otherwise you probably want a fence.

When you harvest a plant growing on farmland, there's a small (5%?) chance of getting an extra seed. So you will very slowly get more over time. But the main source of seed is finding wild crops.

To get tree seeds, you need to break the leaves (your hand is fine, but shears speed up the process if you have them) before chopping the tree. You will get few or no seeds if you let the leaves despawn when the tree is chopped.

45 minutes ago, Soptík said:

Btw, is there some estimate of how much food do I need for winter? Playing the exploration mode.

It really depends on what kind of food you have available, how cold it gets in your area / how long winter lasts, and how well you can avoid the hunger penalties for being cold (which are substantial). If you are in the standard temperate starting climate, staying warm will help reduce the amount of food you need.  So try to get the fur coat and boots, and try to repair your shirt and pants with pieces of linen right before winter starts. Make sure your house is cold-proof (interior space of each room not over 7x7x7 blocks, insulating blocks like solid blocks or glass used for walls and roofs, no crude doors, etc.): when indoors, even in very cold weather, your hunger rate should be the normal 100% (assuming no class penalties and not doing anything that causes a hunger penalty, like holding an item in your off-hand or healing from damage). You can see the hunger rate in your character menu ("c" hotkey by default).

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Philtre said:

It really depends on what kind of food you have available, how cold it gets in your area / how long winter lasts, and how well you can avoid the hunger penalties for being cold (which are substantial). If you are in the standard temperate starting climate, staying warm will help reduce the amount of food you need.  So try to get the fur coat and boots, and try to repair your shirt and pants with pieces of linen right before winter starts. Make sure your house is cold-proof (interior space of each room not over 7x7x7 blocks, insulating blocks like solid blocks or glass used for walls and roofs, no crude doors, etc.): when indoors, even in very cold weather, your hunger rate should be the normal 100% (assuming no class penalties and not doing anything that causes a hunger penalty, like holding an item in your off-hand or healing from damage). You can see the hunger rate in your character menu ("c" hotkey by default).

Alright, thank you!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.