Soundtrack tweaks

Khornet

I think Lo-Phi did a phenomenal job on the soundtrack of the game. It really fits the theme and gameplay. However, I have noticed multiple things about it that I'd like to address:

The Invention is too loud. Seeing how the track doesn't begin gradually, but suddenly, it HAS jumpscared me in the few instances it triggered. I would propose equalizing its volume with the rest of tracks, and maybe adding a slight fade in at the start.
Speaking of which, does anybody know what the trigger for The Invention to start playing is? I've never heard it in all my years of playing VS until the last week, when it triggered ~5 times in build 18.5. Could it be finishing the Resonance Archives?

The Setting Sun should be looped for a while to make it longer, matching the length of other tracks. Like 2:30 of length should suffice.

Sunny Village remains unused in survival. Supposedly limited to creative mode, but I have not heard it there either myself.
Peaceful Village - same as above.
Cultured Tavern  - same as above.
It is unclear whereas these 3 tracks above are supposed to be limited to tuning cylinders by default, but IMO it's a waste.

Radiance and Rust - have personally not heard it in game in ~300 hours of gameplay. The comment section on the YouTube video suggest that people HAVE heard it in-game. So it's unclear to me whereas the trigger for it is bugged or something. I would appreciate a tuning cylinder for it. And  perhaps a general cut in length (it's 11 whole minutes!) as part of the generic soundtrack.

The Safety of a Warm Fire - one of the best and another long track that I have not heard it in game even once. Lo-Phi actually gave me a reply in the comments on YouTube with a hint on how to trigger it: "Take a seat for a while the next time you're cooking a nice in-game meal" - but I still wasn't able to. I highly suggest to make the trigger for this track more generic.

Spoiler

Eidolon Battle - tuning cylinder, please. :)

Out of generic suggestions: soundtracks per climate region would be cool. One for the polar/permafrost region, one for the tropical region, maybe one for deserts. Another one for mountains, for when you're really high up, perhaps? 
Also, more seasonal soundtracks would be excellent, since these don't "wear off" as quickly as the generic ones. It's always exciting to hear the next season's track finally triggering in the "Oh, spring is finally here!" fashion.

Edited by Khornet
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Khornet said:

Speaking of which, does anybody know what the trigger for The Invention to start playing is? I've never heard it in all my years of playing VS until the last week, when it triggered ~5 times in build 18.5.

The music triggers are defined in assets/survival/music/musicconfig.json. For The Invention it's:

minhour: 9,
maxhour: 15,
minLatitude: 0.1,
minSeason: 0.4,
maxSeason: 0.65,

It plays between 9am and 3pm in summer, with a certain latitude (i.e., climate) restriction.

Cultured Tavern doesn't play in creative, but the two "Village" ones do.

Radiance and Rust plays from 6am to 5pm when 600m from spawn. (Not sure if world spawn or current.)

Edited by Bumber
  • Like 1

Just now, Bumber said:

The music triggers are defined in assets/survival/music/musicconfig.json. For The Invention it's:

minhour: 9,
maxhour: 15,
minLatitude: 0.1,
minSeason: 0.4,
maxSeason: 0.65,

It plays between 9am and 3pm in summer, with a certain latitude (i.e., climate) restriction.

Thanks for the answer.

Kind of odd. I expected there to be only 4 "true seasonal" tracks.

14 minutes ago, Khornet said:

Kind of odd. I expected there to be only 4 "true seasonal" tracks.

Looks like Through the Grass at Night is also restricted to non-winter. (And is also excluded from very early spring, whereas Fall o' croft continues into early winter.)

Edited by Bumber

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.