Windmill gear ratio issue

Chuckerton

Alright, I have a windmill that's pretty high up. Looking at it, it says it's at 100% wind speed right now, and it's a full-size windmill. 

Originally, I had no large gears. It was just the sail, into an angle gear bringing power back down, back into another angled gear to deliver power to the helvehammer. 

Now, i have switched it. Its the windmill into a large gear, bringing power back down, then a large gear into an angle gear. 

2023-12-07_20-23-11.thumb.png.c56d026cf6821731776a4b9c08f101b1.png2023-12-07_20-23-29.thumb.png.26f43c4a729becca566e609ef95a1de6.png

Is this basically the same thing as using angled gears? Going from a small gear from the windmill (input gear) into a large gear should get me a ton of torque, at the cost of speed, and then going from a large gear to a small gear should undo that, shouldn't it? Because right now it doesn't, when I turn on the helvehammer it just shuts down, as if it doesn't have enough torque to drive it. I need to do it this way because I also plan on branching off another set of gears with a transmission from the bottom large gear and take that power to my pulverizer. 

Am i doing something wrong, like have i just had a brainfart moment where i forget how gear ratios work or is this a bug or something? 

EDIT: This is certainly a bug. Upon reloading the world, it works just fine. Its not just that i dont have the wind speed for it, i definitely do, and on reload the wind speed doesnt change. It worked fine for a bit, but after a few hours, it stopped working again, specifically after i had replaced the material underneath the large gear at the bottom. I reload again, it works. 

I continue testing. Heres what i do. On the helvehammer, i disable the clutch. I destroy all the material underneath the bottom large gear. I enable the clutch. It stops working, as if the helvehammer doesnt have the torque it needs and the whole system grinds to a halt. Exit and start the world again. Enable the clutch again. It works just fine. Disable clutch. Replace the blocks underneath the bottom gear. Enable clutch. doesnt work anymore, in the same way it didnt work before (hammer no torque).

Looks like its time to file a bug report. Messing with blocks near large gears causes them to not work properly.  

Edited by Chuckerton
Posting findings after test

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.