weather/climate question

Robs

4example ive started a new game with hot&semi-arid weather settings. I assume that it rains less. The start area is more "desert" like, much of sand aso. But what else is affected? Will it be more green in the north and even more hot in the south? +20k booth? Are all "climate zones" still represented in the generated world?

Greetings

Hello Robs.

I think the climate settings only make hotter/colder and arid/wet biomes more likely in the generation. While you might have a harder time finding them you they can still be generated.

I myself have a hotter&wetter climate but just south of the marshes i started in there is a huge desert and in the northeast there are snowy mountains.

I also don't think north and south have anything to do with climate in this game but you would have to check the gamefiles to confirm that.

Rather than climate zones like on earth, you should view it more as patches of biomes like in minecraft. At least thats the feeling i get after playing my world for over 25h

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mettman said:

Upon world creation there is an option for realistic and patchy climate zones.

that only controls if biomes switch from one block to the next or if there is some sort of slow transition. should have no inpact on where to biomes are generated.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kaelty said:

that only controls if biomes switch from one block to the next or if there is some sort of slow transition. should have no inpact on where to biomes are generated.

If I remember correctly, in the mouse over for this option, it says that cold biomes are more to the north and warmer biomes more to the south. I can't verify it at the moment though.

45 minutes ago, Mettman said:

If I remember correctly, in the mouse over for this option, it says that cold biomes are more to the north and warmer biomes more to the south. I can't verify it at the moment though.

You are correct, seems i didn't remember that bit 😅 but at least from my experience there is hardly any difference between south and north biome wise, then again it would be hard to notic without running over 10k blocks in a [1mil]x[1mil] big world i guess. At least for now moving greater distances in VS takes quite a lot of time and just building streets of stone path doesn't help all that much and it takes quite a long time.

I do think it would matter more in smaller maps but at least in bigger ones there is not much of a difference unless you plan on moving your base towards the north/south every few days.

Edited by Kaelty
added afterthought
  • Like 1

On 3/10/2020 at 7:59 AM, Kaelty said:

Actually, a patchy climate means there is no north south trend and the climate is in random patches. The realistic climate forms east-west bands where north from spawn is colder and south is warmer. Going north does eventually start to get warmer again.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.