Multiplayer World Config Questions

Ari

I'm making a new multiplayer server and I can't figure out how to adjust some of the world config options. Most of them can be changed after the server is created using commands, then I can delete the world and let it regenerate with the new settings. However, some of the options available for single-player worlds don't appear to have associated commands, or at least they're not in the wiki. Is there a way to do this, either with commands or by modifying the files?

I want to adjust:

• Global ore deposit spawn rate (I want to increase it)
  • Polar-equator distance (I want to shorten it)
  • Starting climate (I want to set it to warm)
  • Allow underground farming

Thanks.

• Like 1

Yes, I'm familiar with that part of the wiki and already use those commands, but the specific ones I'm asking about are the ones that don't have commands. Does anyone know if it's possible to simply copy a settings file from a single-player world onto a server? Will that work? Has anyone done it? Or do the devs possibly have other world config commands that aren't documented in the wiki?

The ones that don't have commands usually don't for a reason--those settings are applied upon world generation and can't be retroactively changed without regenerating the world. Copying the config file would likely either do nothing, crash the world, or the game would demand a regeneration, the former two of which I find much more likely.

It may do nothing if those particular settings are only applied on world gen, which I find the most likely. If you paste them on an already-generated world, it doesn't have a chance to apply the settings, as the world is already generated.

It may crash your game because some config settings may be actively used in-game, and changing them might create some obvious complications/disconnect between the world itself and what the config tells it to do, and might result in disaster.

The last outcome would be the server demanding a regenerated world, which would only happen if the devs have already thought about this issue and put something in place, which at most would regenerate your world and be no different than copying in a different world file. It is very difficult to "repair" a world to a new config because of having to replace things, avoid overlap, and potentially modifying existing generation, all of which may cause problems in the long run. It is simply not worth the effort to implement function that fixes all those issues.

The last last outcome (and the least likely imo) would be that the config simply wouldn't care about the aforementioned issues and simply paste over your existing world with changed settings, which would not create your desired world. For instance, if you changed ore deposit rates, it would paste new ore deposit rates over the old ones, resulting in both new and old deposit rates combined--much more than you originally intended.

What would work is generating a new world with your desired settings and replacing all of the world files in your server with those. Such would make sure the config is applied on generation and that nothing is missed, and that all potential conflict issues are avoided. If your main desire is to keep a certain world you like, the best I can recommend is generating a new world (with your desired settings) but the same seed. It may or may not work depending on how the world generation system is set up, but it'd be your best shot.

Edited by Ender Riens

I wasn't trying to apply them to an already-generated world, I was trying to adjust the worldgen parameters on the server then generate a new world. I wound up just generating the world in single-player using the usual options and then uploading the single-player world save to the server, which seems to have worked. It would be great if there were a way to set these parameters on a server in a config file before starting the server, which generates the world, but there seems to be no way to do that.

(Also, regarding changing worldgen parameters after the world is generated, it doesn't necessarily cause any problems. You can already adjust plenty of worldgen options after creating the world which only affect newly-generated chunks. If I can adjust the copper/tin surface ore generation rates after worldgen, there's no reason I shouldn't be able to change overall oregen rates. Ungenerated chunks just generate with the new settings. It makes a hard line between the old and new chunks, but it doesn't harm the world or the server.)

Glad to know it worked. I forgot config settings might affect ungenerated chunks, which you seem to have figured out for me. Unfortunately, servers are somewhat tough to change worldgen on (especially with third-party hosting), which hopefully should change once they get around to improving multiplayer.

• 2 years later...

Hi dude did you have tried these commands in your server? Its seems they do what you need. Its work in our server, but some only will work in the new generated chunks i think. i saw you solve the problem but for sure this extra info here will help other people looking for solve the same issue.

Como cambiar el mundo en default o a gusto.png

Edited by ViryaDraco

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.