any good step by step how to create your own mod tutorials?

Sukotto82

I've made a mod and it's pretty much done I have a few things to work out but the issue is it's not sharable. the way I made it is I made everything in the actual games roaming>vintagestory>assets>survival path and just added and modified what I wanted in their respective folders. but when I used the mod creator to make it into a mod.zip it doesn't seem to work for people. 

I know it's bad practice madding in this way to begin with but I started all over from scratch using the tutorial on the wiki basics adding a block, mygoldblock and I went through that and did the tutorial and it doesn't work.

here is the zip from it.

mygoldblock.zip

this is the first tutorial for a basic block and it doesn't work.

also here is my mod that I made that also doesn't work for others but works fine for me until I zip it all up and try sharing it.

ClayMisc.zip

I wanted to follow a basic tutorial to get the tutorial mod working so I could rewrite my mod to get it working but the tutorial mod doesn't work so now I don't know what to do.

if there is any good step by step from beginning to end tutorials that would work I'd like to see it thank you. I seen the one on the same tutorial for the goldblock/shinyblock but it's in Russian and I only know English.

this is the tutorial I followed

https://wiki.vintagestory.at/index.php?title=Modding:Basic_Block

I did up to the testing distributing part and that is when I found the mod doesn't work.

I didn't go any further to the advanced properties part yet since the first part doesn't work.

did I overlook or skip something and that's why it doesn't work?

==========================================================================================================================

I went ahead and finished the whole thing. but still not working. I feel I either missed something or it doesn't work with the current version (1.14.2) of the game.

here is my attempt at the myshinyblock tutorial

myshinyblock.zip

ok, I think I figured out my issue. I'm not sure if I'm just having a crazy day or what but it seems if you don't add "modid": to your mod info you need to add mod to the end of your zip folder but if you include a "modid": in your mod info then you just need to make sure the zip name matches your mod id name. 

I didn't know this and I just named the zip my mod id name without specifying the mod id in the mod info and I didn't add mod at the end of the name of the zip folder so it didn't work. as soon as I added mod to the end of the zip folder name it worked then I added modid to the mod info area and took off the mod part and now it works.

Edited by Sukotto82

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.