compass

alex craig

an onscreen compass would be awesome, stopping to stare at the sun/moon every few minutes while searching for food tends to make me miss things on the ground in front of me  lol.   an addition would be "block traveled since last ..campfire"   these two features would make exploration and searching for food so much less of a grind for those of us spawning in not so fertile areas

Guest HelDM

Although I agree that the 'V' button is nice to know your exact coordinates, it would be good to have an in game compass to make. 

With VS aiming to be realistic and fairly difficult, isn't a coordinate system a bit to easy?

I like realistic, I like it very much. that said I get distracted easily, I have a wife and 4 kids in the house my computer is in the living room and most of the time the wife is around, watching TV. In the end, I get lost very often. I always use a minimap if one is available. I like to know which direction I am going, and where my base is. 

Not having a minimap or coordinates may be OK for a very small map, but when you have to travel thousands of blocks to find some rock type or another resource, having the cardinal direction on the top of the page with my coordinates is a big help.

I guess that's where I trace the line for my suspension of disbelief. 

Yes in antiquity people had to make the maps as they went, so they could come back, but they also were not expected to explore the whole world by themselves. People build on what others did before them.

For me, to be able to explore without the fear that I would get lost and never find my base again outweighs the loss of realism. 

Archived