3D Stone Knapping?

kuldnekala123

Currently, the knapping mechanic is a little bit... un-immersive perhaps? Having a 3 dimensional rock turn into a huge rocky plate and knapping that. So im proposing a "little" change, firstly, scrap the whole idea of 2D knapping. Lets move to a new GUI where we could look at the rock from all the possible angles we want, kind of like a 3D model viewer. Secondly, let us have a possibility to whack off more than one pixel at a time (small-, medium- and heavy strike) like we can in clay forming.

Additionally, the knapping work could be saved as an item in your inventory that you can take along if you get interrupted while knapping, like you can with the smithing system. Also, the rock you start with when knapping could be randomized a bit so there would be some variation when knapping, kind of like with the iron bloom you have the same general shape but sometimes a few more or less pixels.

Lastly, if the new knapping system ends up more labor intensive than the last one, a modest increase in tool durability would balance the extra time it takes to knap them.

Feel free to comment and or criticize my idea if you think something could be even better or makes more sense :D

LOL to ya'll (lots of love)

• Like 3

This would be a good improvement. I'd also suggest some kind of bonus for accuracy in knapping--it takes more time to carefully place each strike and make no errors, so why does it have the same outcome as spam-clicking sides of the stone? like maybe a 10% increase in durability for a perfectly-knapped tool or something small like that.

But regardless, I really like the 3D knapping idea, especially if it's somewhat randomized. It'd make it a little more engaging to craft 10 shovels in a row for a dig, at least.

• Like 2

I like the idea but maybe instead of extra durability, have it be possible to ruin the work, almost like in smithing if you brake off one too many pixels you either have to throw out the piece or add in a whole new ingot, except in knapping you would automatically lose the piece. Lets not remove the ability to fail, especially since stones that you can knap are everywhere.

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.