Questions about "disabling" drifters

Breanna Hicks

I recently set up a server for my partner and I to play in through the official hosting. We love the homesteading and explorative bits of VS, but we also think the drifters are creepy and would rather play without them. The original handful of days they give you before monsters spawn have elapsed - I went poking around the site and found /worldconfig graceTimer [0-9999] on the List of Server Commands page, and I tried to set the timer to the full 9999, but it doesn't seem to be taking? I've exited and re-entered the game, and stopped-then-started the server, but they still spawn.

I've also given using /entity removebytype drifter-* a try, but the number of drifters it removes (and the number of them that comes up using /entity countg) changes from one second to the next, so I'm not sure I should expect that to do what I need. Am I doing something wrong? Do I have any other options?

Tyron mentioned a while ago that you drastically reduce drifter spawn rates:

You can also make a tiny mod to reduce the spawn rate, open the file assets/survival/entities/land/drifter.json and in line 347, replace "chance: 0.1," with e.g "chance: 0.03,"

If you run the Modmaker.exe it should generate a shareable mod .zip that also persists when you install new updates of the game.

I don't know if either of you are coding-savvy enough to want to try it (I wasn't), but afaik that may well be the only way to permanently get rid of drifters--by setting that chance to the lowest possible number. However, having not tried it I'm not actually sure if you can set it to 0 or just to something like 0.000001 (which would at least make them very rare occurrences).

I don't believe spawning mechanics have been changed significantly since he gave that advice, so it should still work...

this is the thread I pulled the quote from, btw

I'm not sure why the grace timer command isn't working, though. Have you tried just setting it to 10 (or any other number available in the world config settings?)

as for the entity removebytype not working, I'm pretty sure that's because when you type in the command, it removes all drifters in the world, but then the game notices there's no drifters and immediately spawns some more in. hence why the number changes every time.

Another option, which doesn't disable drifters but which helps you avoid them much easier, would be to sleep through/skip the night, every night. Aged wooden beds give you 9.5 hours of sleep, and are usually sufficient to sleep away the whole night (except far north or during the winter). Drifters won't spawn on the surface when it's light out, so you can drastically reduce how many you have to deal with by never giving them a chance to spawn. You could also use commands to change it to daytime once it starts getting dark: /time set morning will do it.

Edited by goaliemagics

23 hours ago, goaliemagics said:

I don't know if either of you are coding-savvy enough to want to try it (I wasn't), but afaik that may well be the only way to permanently get rid of drifters--by setting that chance to the lowest possible number. However, having not tried it I'm not actually sure if you can set it to 0 or just to something like 0.000001 (which would at least make them very rare occurrences).

I gave both 0 and 0.0001 try, and it didn't work for my server. Maybe that field doesn't apply to servers? I do know that mods don't apply, otherwise my No Monsters mod would work and I wouldn't have this issue.

I'm not sure why the grace timer command isn't working, though. Have you tried just setting it to 10 (or any other number available in the world config settings?)

Yeah, I set it back to 10 to test, and nothing changed. I figured it was because the original timer had already elapsed.

Another option, which doesn't disable drifters but which helps you avoid them much easier, would be to sleep through/skip the night, every night. Aged wooden beds give you 9.5 hours of sleep, and are usually sufficient to sleep away the whole night (except far north or during the winter). Drifters won't spawn on the surface when it's light out, so you can drastically reduce how many you have to deal with by never giving them a chance to spawn. You could also use commands to change it to daytime once it starts getting dark: /time set morning will do it.

That's the situation for now, I've got the bed and a strict 8pm bedtime. I do want us to be able to go into caves for saltpeter and mining materials, though.

Edited by Breanna Hicks
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Breanna Hicks said:

I gave both 0 and 0.0001 try, and it didn't work for my server. Maybe that field doesn't apply to servers? I do know that mods don't apply, otherwise my No Monsters mod would work and I wouldn't have this issue.

Yeah, I set it back to 10 to test, and nothing changed. I figured it was because the original timer had already elapsed.

That's the situation for now, I've got the bed and a strict 8pm bedtime. I do want us to be able to go into caves for saltpeter and mining materials, though.

Mods definitely do apply to servers--the Aura Fury server, for example, uses mods (you can see their modlist if you scroll down a little). They work on LAN servers, too, if that what's you're using--my sister and I had an LAN with mods and they worked fine. I'm not sure why they're not working for you, but I can only think that either the mod you're trying is broken or else both of you don't have it enabled. Have you tried using the mod on singleplayer? Also, have you tried other mods, either in singleplayer or in multiplayer?

Bummer that resetting the grace timer isn't working at all, though.

I assume both of you reset the drifter spawn chance field, so if it doesn't work then yeah, it must not apply to servers :( (or else is outdated advice--sorry about that, if so!)

And yeah, that's the drawback to sleeping every night--it won't help you underground.

16 minutes ago, goaliemagics said:

Mods definitely do apply to servers--the Aura Fury server, for example, uses mods (you can see their modlist if you scroll down a little). They work on LAN servers, too, if that what's you're using--my sister and I had an LAN with mods and they worked fine. I'm not sure why they're not working for you, but I can only think that either the mod you're trying is broken or else both of you don't have it enabled. Have you tried using the mod on singleplayer? Also, have you tried other mods, either in singleplayer or in multiplayer?

Mods don't work on servers created through the "30 days simple server hosting" that you can buy straight from Vintage Story; that's why I specified "through the official hosting" in my original post. From the FAQ at the bottom of the page:

"Can I upload my own world? Can I add mods?
Not currently, but we hope to add support for both eventually."

I use several mods on my single player world, including No Monsters, but I just wanted to see if I could make it work some way on the back end for the server. Looks like that's not the case, sigh.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.