My home on the fields. (Work in progress.) (Before any chisel work.)

Windego

You sure do like Trapdoors, don'tcha?  XD  (EDIT: I find they make really nice windows if you don't want to use glass)

Friendly tip: you can press, I think it's F4 (just F4) to toggle the UI on and off.  That'll hide the chat window that takes up so much of the screen when taking a series of screen shots.  ^^

Edited by PhotriusPyrelus

18 hours ago, PhotriusPyrelus said:

You sure do like Trapdoors, don'tcha?  XD  (EDIT: I find they make really nice windows if you don't want to use glass)

Friendly tip: you can press, I think it's F4 (just F4) to toggle the UI on and off.  That'll hide the chat window that takes up so much of the screen when taking a series of screen shots.  ^^

Hey, thanks for the tip!
I always forget to do that.

I do like trapdoors, yes, but mostly because of their functionality. I used tons of them in the pits because at some point I'll either have one pit filled to the brim with rabbits, or with foxes. And I found it a good idea to separate them because come winter and I miscalculate my food supply, I'll always have a bunch of rabbits to slaughter. Foxes would've eaten those. And, so I don't fall in on accident myself, which happens more than you'd think.

And as for the panic room.. Well you can imagine I dislike the idea of having to share that confined space with a nightmare drifter come a storm I'm not prepared for or don't want to deal with.

I tend to avoid using them as windows aside a specific criteria because according to the game, a trapdoor is treated as an empty block, so I'd lose the indoors temperature bonus if I did that. Though I did integrate them to the side of the windows for aesthetic purposes.

The trapdoors for the forge... Well, you can imagine I'd rather look at trapdoors than having to stub my pixelated toe on a couple of ingot molds.
Though... I could probably get rid of them after every smelting cycle.. But I end up doing so much smelting and casting that this seemed like the more time-efficient method.

If only there were different versions of trapdoors that look a bit more aesthetically appealing.... Like ones with a glass pane in it, or other decorations. It kid of makes me wish we could chisel functionality blocks like trapdoors, doors. (But nothing else.)

I've since begun chiseling on some projects now as I've never been able to do that before on my old system. So fingers crossed I'll actually make something pretty.
Currently I've only edited the support beam's ends at the roof to give them more depth. ( Pictures coming soon.)
And making some weird pillar thing that came up in my dreams. Though I need to find white marble for that first..

• Like 1

This is the edited roof support beams..
I know they don't look perfect, but just that little detail adds a bit more depth into it. I'm still trying to figure out what else I could do to give it better detail as this is just a temporary visual fix.
Maybe I need to re-think my idea of a roof front....

Don't mind the monstrosity in the right corner of the roof for now... I'll re-make that. It's a set up for my helve hammer.

2021-10-27_14-49-07.png

• Like 2

And then there is this weird.. What ever the heck I dreamed of. I'm trying to find a block that'll speak "Energy", which I'll add to the inside past the white marble layer. Te white marble layer acts as a container for said energy. But without going into creative.... I need to think of a block that I can use, that's either very shiny or florescent.

2021-10-27_14-46-57.png

2021-10-27_14-49-19.png

• Like 5

Just now, Windego said:

And then there is this weird.. What ever the heck I dreamed of. I'm trying to find a block that'll speak "Energy", which I'll add to the inside past the white marble layer. Te white marble layer acts as a container for said energy. But without going into creative.... I need to think of a block that I can use, that's either very shiny or florescent.

2021-10-27_14-46-57.png

2021-10-27_14-49-19.png

It still lacks more detail... But more on that soon when I figure out what other blocks to use.

One step at a time.

3 hours ago, PhotriusPyrelus said:

Wow.  Looks good with the roofing, and I like the trapdoor on top for access to the inside.

It also has two axles going up, out of the main large gear in case I decide I need more power. So I can more easily add another one of those 'boxes' with an additional large gear+4 mills extension.

Added some slabs to the pillars that support the house because it looked a tad.. odd?

Also made barns for the animals. Getting them to the new area was a nightmare... But I wasn't planning on going through the aggression of pre gen 3 all over again since these are all gen 4 at least.

I can't help but feel that the pen area seems a bit empty... Plain..?
Any suggestions and ideas are welcome!

2021-10-30_14-28-54.png

2021-10-30_14-29-04.png

2021-10-30_14-29-25.png

• Like 1

Finished the new crop, bee and bush area.
The crop area only works (I think) because I turned underground farming on during world creation. The design is too big to be a valid greenhouse. But with how real life greenhouses can vary greatly in size... I figured why not. Make it a bit easier than build a surplus of 10+ individual greenhouses.
Above every water source block (Right underneath the roofs connecting cross) is a lantern to give enough light and prevent spawns.

....And with that done, the movement of well over 5 thousand items from chest-to-chest from the old base location to this new one... Begins. 😅

I'm thinking as a new project.. Maybe make an underground "Umbrella Corporation" style base.
The weird chisel work I did a few posts up gave me an idea, as it reminds me of a power core of sorts.
Maybe as a change of pace.. Try something futuristic.

2021-10-30_19-38-59.png

2021-10-30_19-39-06.png

Edited by Windego
  • Like 1

Half way through moving all the items from the old, to the new base I realized I forgot to make a charcoal pit.
A weird looking construct... But this is for me as clear as it'll ever get if something went south, or when it's all finished and I can open it up.

...Also, progression shown by armor. Most of those are down to almost 2-5% remaining.
Next up... Steel! I'm excited!

2021-10-30_23-43-28.png

2021-10-30_23-41-47.png

Edited by Windego
  • Like 3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.