Messing around with world edit/magic wand.

DX65

I got no clue where to post this. Wiki hasn't been entirely helpful but I thought I post some images and start a discussion about anyone else's experience with this feature.

Please post experiences or whatever might be useful.

Here is few screenshots, I got no clue what I am doing or how to do what I want it to do. What I want to do is create my own world with islands, mountains, etc.

I am trying to figure out how to do this, but at this point I am pretty clueless.

At least it didn't destroy my basement and place hundreds of copper lanterns like it did before. I don't have screen shot about that though.

With the water its asking me to do something I don't understand.

With lava it says I can't or I need to disable something for lava to be placed

2022-03-09_08-51-19.png

2022-03-09_08-49-18.png

2022-03-09_08-48-42.png

Edited by DX65

You are using the fill tool: it requires to either have a closed area of set size, or you need to disable that req from the tool option (something enforce close space i think). Keep in mind, it will create a circle of blocks, of the radius that you have set. In the case seen above, it would create a floating plob of lava/water.

If you want to place one flowing block you need to disable the world edit tools, and just place the block normaly, or use paintbrush.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, LauriU said:

You are using the fill tool: it requires to either have a closed area of set size, or you need to disable that req from the tool option (something enforce close space i think). Keep in mind, it will create a circle of blocks, of the radius that you have set. In the case seen above, it would create a floating plob of lava/water.

If you want to place one flowing block you need to disable the world edit tools, and just place the block normaly, or use paintbrush.

Thanks for responding. I figured out I need the enclosed area to fill but how would I know what to disable error/warning messages so how to  get water or lava in a specific area? I never was able to use any lava due to the messages and being basically refused by the system. I figured out how to dump water down specific areas but not deep enough for ocean.

Example what I do if I want a ocean or large lake for water or small lava tube representing the bottom of world's mantle, or under a volcano. Or I even have a active volcanic area in middle of the ocean aka Vintage story version of Hawaiian/South Pacific Islands?

I have messed around with various things as far as the buttons especially the paint brush sometimes they work, sometimes they don't, sometimes I get error messages, something nothing, no error messages, nothing. I made a smaller orb it suppose to radius of 12 ended up being 32. And these are things I am facing trying to learn world edit.

There has been only few tools I got working are undo, the one below undo that disables all world edit tools currently in use, fill and paint brush the rest I can't figure out.

Edited by DX65

14 hours ago, DX65 said:

Example what I do if I want a ocean or large lake for water or small lava tube representing the bottom of world's mantle, or under a volcano. Or I even have a active volcanic area in middle of the ocean aka Vintage story version of Hawaiian/South Pacific Islands?

To do something like this, you first create the said lake and then floodfill it from the bottom up. The max distance of the fill tool is 50 blocks. You can deselct "check enclosed" option, to allow the fill. You could also copy a large body of water with the magic wand and then paste it to fill larger areas, for an ocean. Even then you need to use fill tool for the shores, because paste replaces all blocks inside the space that you paste.

Lava works the same as water.

14 hours ago, DX65 said:

I have messed around with various things as far as the buttons especially the paint brush sometimes they work, sometimes they don't, sometimes I get error messages, something nothing, no error messages, nothing. I made a smaller orb it suppose to radius of 12 ended up being 32. And these are things I am facing trying to learn world edit.

There has been only few tools I got working are undo, the one below undo that disables all world edit tools currently in use, fill and paint brush the rest I can't figure out.

Keep in mind that the tool sizes are mostly radius, that is, it's the distance from the center to the sides: if you make a cylinder with x=7 y=7 z=7, it will make a cylinder 15 blocks wide (it adds one block to the center) and 7 blocks high. As for the height (y), it seems to actually use that number as max height, but the center of the cylinder will be the block you click when you place it. that means that if you place it on flatground, hald of the cylinder will be underground and you will get 4 high cylinder. bit odd imo.

As far as i've used it, all tools work as the tooltips say they do. Theres some bugs when moving chiseled blocks, but copying and repeating seem to work fine. For select/copy/move you need the magic wand selected to use those.

There are some quite cool options for the tools, like the possibility to only replace the type of block you click with the paintbrush. makes changeing texturing of walls for example very fast.

There is a whole lot of tools I have no clue how to get to work, magic wand is example. And pretty every other tool except ones I said I successfully used. And the fill tool I didn't even know had option to deselect "check enclosed" option. Or even that I copy that and place elsewhere.

The ball I had set for 12  on x, y, z still came out 32 which was okay because it was for greenhouse but dividing it up and hollowing out the glass is a pain. And whole hollow part of the tool can be also bit confusing to get to work right. The selections tools with paintbrush I don't get either its either fill, non-air, and another third option I don't remember. I don't get entirely what they do either or if they are even working.

Edited by DX65

37 minutes ago, DX65 said:

There is a whole lot of tools I have no clue how to get to work, magic wand is example. And pretty every other tool except ones I said I successfully used. And the fill tool I didn't even know had option to deselect "check enclosed" option. Or even that I copy that and place elsewhere.

The ball I had set for 12  on x, y, z still came out 32 which was okay because it was for greenhouse but dividing it up and hollowing out the glass is a pain. And whole hollow part of the tool can be also bit confusing to get to work right. The selections tools with paintbrush I don't get either its either fill, non-air, and another third option I don't remember. I don't get entirely what they do either or if they are even working.

Hmm, sometimes you accidentaly can write stuff in to the boxes, like 12w that can then cause the game to think it some other number. But as for me, a 12x12x12 ball paintbrush creates a 25x25x25 ball. If you set the cutout to 11x11x11, it will be a hollow ball with one block thick wall.

the paintbrush has mode selector: fill=add the block in to the world as is, replace non-air/replace air= use these to either replace only existing blocks or to fill empty space, replace selected block=only replaces the type of block you click.

Magic wand can be used to select and move stuff. Select the select tool, and with wand in hand, right click to a point from you want to start the selection and left click where you want to end it, modify the selection with the N+, N- etc. buttons in the tool options. When you have a selection, select move tool, check that you have mode=move blocks, and with wand in hand right click where you want to move the selection. it will center on the block you right click.

For selection tool there is a mode=magic that will try to select a full build, like a house. It doesn't always work correctly, but can be usefull.

If you want to copy stuff, you first select it, the from the select tool, click copy. you then go to import tool, click "from clipboard" and with a block in hand you can place the copy into the world.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LauriU said:

Hmm, sometimes you accidentaly can write stuff in to the boxes, like 12w that can then cause the game to think it some other number. But as for me, a 12x12x12 ball paintbrush creates a 25x25x25 ball. If you set the cutout to 11x11x11, it will be a hollow ball with one block thick wall.

the paintbrush has mode selector: fill=add the block in to the world as is, replace non-air/replace air= use these to either replace only existing blocks or to fill empty space, replace selected block=only replaces the type of block you click.

Magic wand can be used to select and move stuff. Select the select tool, and with wand in hand, right click to a point from you want to start the selection and left click where you want to end it, modify the selection with the N+, N- etc. buttons in the tool options. When you have a selection, select move tool, check that you have mode=move blocks, and with wand in hand right click where you want to move the selection. it will center on the block you right click.

For selection tool there is a mode=magic that will try to select a full build, like a house. It doesn't always work correctly, but can be usefull.

If you want to copy stuff, you first select it, the from the select tool, click copy. you then go to import tool, click "from clipboard" and with a block in hand you can place the copy into the world.

I tried the wand once or twice with move tool but I couldn't figure out how to copy block to move it nor did I know about clipboard part. It kept saying numbers. I thought it was something similar to copy and paste tool I once saw in a Minecraft mod where you clicked edge of 2 sides of a build but when I did that with world edit all I got is these numbers and not much else, so I figured I messed up and didn't know what to do next.

6 hours ago, LauriU said:

Well, i hope my ramblings where at least some use to you. I've found one youtube video,i think it was this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we2WyxKSRuc that explains some things, and then just experimented with the tools. Tooltips give some explanations too.

Yes what you shared has been helpful, not ramblings. I will check out the video and anything else you can throw my way would be greatly appreciated.  P.S. Actually I saw this video it was one of first ones I watched on world edit, but with little bit practice and what you said the few things it mentions makes a bit more sense now even though there is still tons I probably don't know so far. Thanks,

Edited by DX65

@LauriU

I have one question I wanted to throw out before I go experimenting more. I made this few days ago but other than small sections its filled with gold blocks. Is there a way to remove sections of blocks out with edit other than remove to just block one at time? I tried the erase tool last week or so but it only seemed to show one option which was one block. Am I missing something because I don't know about it that you know?

I was thinking I wanted to move my builds higher up because its down 4 blocks above the void and the builds seems too low to add oceans, etc. Here is hoping I can figure it out today.

Edited by DX65

Well I sorta got the line tool to work but its hard to describe what its doing other than it doesn't seem to do anything if I select the first pull down option of "Start line point" and the select "As defined" not sure what that means or is suppose to do but it works a bit better in random sorta way better than nothing with "Line strip" and I got 50 by 50 area to erase with erase tool.

My world I am editing is only 10,000 by 10,000 with height of 800 so I am not sure if I am going to be able fill the mantle in every lower level and build up every single area up to level 50 but at least I got two more tools sorta working.

I came back to re-read what you wrote about copying and paste and the whole clipboard thing but I think I don't get it because I have been really tired. So as long @LauriU or anyone else can give me feedback and answer my questions I will keep asking.

I appreciate the response. I was bit down earlier due to I figured out how to use Discord but I am not much a fan of it plus the mod for it I don't think works because my account id for VS doesn't match email but I might be wrong. In order to use Discord I had to use another email address and once I got there it reminded me of why I don't like chatrooms.

And I have issues with Github recognize any email I have as verified address through any traditional means enough that it just annoying to even bother. Truthfully if I know this game modding depends on Github I may not have gotten it just because it annoys me so much. I can't download the modding tools for this game because of it.

Anyway enough me complaining about what I can't do let me share here what I can do which is a photo of me messing with line and erase tool in my newly erased chunk.  I will messing around and see if I can build up islands, volcanoes, etc today and will most like come back and forth to see if I glimmer anything more out of your post when I hit rough spots. I will share more later when I make more progress. And as I say this going back the line tool has decided not to work at all. I hope reloading my game will help. Running into this a whole lot.

2022-03-18_12-11-48.png

Edited by DX65

I finally got fill tool working at its maximum size without the error messages. This is going to help a whole lot even if I can't figure out copy and paste. Second image is beginning of hills not exactly sure how to do more natural shoreline. Tips would be appreciated. Right now it appears more ring of breast shaped hills.

2022-03-18_12-55-27.png

2022-03-18_13-14-07.png

Edited by DX65

The lines in water are points where there is no water. also the water blocks might be on different levels. creating this large body of water can be tricky. However: you can build a 1x1 pillar in the center and use the sides of that to add the fill. When the water is good, you can remove the blocks, and the game will autofill those blocks.

For more natural landforms, you can use erode-tool to modify/smooth the terrain. it is actually quite decent for this. Also experiment with raise/lower tool, to create more natural forms. then there is the grow/shrink -tool that can also be used for smoothing/randomizing. the problem with it is, that it's always round.

9 hours ago, LauriU said:

2022-03-21_10-57-57.thumb.png.d65fa17f8a8d4aad78b6a2951e678655.png

Here is an experiment I wipped up using the tools mentioned. Still needs more work for more natural land shape I think. I added in some flora on the other side.

This is really amazing and very natural looking. I hope someday I am as gifted as you with the worldedit tools. 

If you are the same LauriU I saw on Ashanti's Youtube channel where they toured your place on that server she is on, you did some incredible building, chisel work there. I was really impressed with your wallpaper design with ivy looking plants and flowers, the curved ceilings and the even more awesome chiseled wooden balcony like walk ways. Did you ever finish that build before the server wipe?

I am pretty exhausted right now been ill I will get back to messing with the worldedit tools later and leave progress report later, may take few days, depending on if I lose any like I did over the weekend. Not sure if I lost Sunday or Saturday. If you see spare day in lost and found it's probably mine.

Edited by DX65

11 hours ago, DX65 said:

This is really amazing and very natural looking. I hope someday I am as gifted as you with the worldedit tools. 

If you are the same LauriU I saw on Ashanti's Youtube channel where they toured your place on that server she is on, you did some incredible building, chisel work there. I was really impressed with your wallpaper design with ivy looking plants and flowers, the curved ceilings and the even more awesome chiseled wooden balcony like walk ways. Did you ever finish that build before the server wipe?

Thanks you very much. Yes I'm the same guy and the server (Aura Fury) is still going strong without a wipe. Building of the castle still continues and has actually progressed quite a bit. I should probably post some pictures here as well, as I've been only doing that in Discord.

Now your original question really got me going with the custom terrain, which I've been thinkin of doing for some time. I still have a lot to learn myself on how to be more efficient, and not having to clean up and fix stuff on the terrain all the time. The tools in game are already quite good, but i would definately want a smoothing tool as the erode can make unwanted holes in the terrain.

2 hours ago, LauriU said:

Thanks you very much. Yes I'm the same guy and the server (Aura Fury) is still going strong without a wipe. Building of the castle still continues and has actually progressed quite a bit. I should probably post some pictures here as well, as I've been only doing that in Discord.

Now your original question really got me going with the custom terrain, which I've been thinkin of doing for some time. I still have a lot to learn myself on how to be more efficient, and not having to clean up and fix stuff on the terrain all the time. The tools in game are already quite good, but i would definately want a smoothing tool as the erode can make unwanted holes in the terrain.

I forgot the name of the server sorry. I never really like multiplayer even back when it was minecraft mod, I did first and only multiplayer Minecraft once to Terrafirmacraft.

There was up and downsides to this and sadly it didn't really turn out very good for me.

But there was some stuff I miss with having friends to build, bounce ideas, collaborate with too. I use to have  a friend in Second life that I hung out with and we get together online and she showed me how to use blender and stuff but I am bit slow, struggling with chronic health issues and my computer sucked at the time so eventually I just couldn't keep it up.

But I do miss how easy it was to bring textures and mesh clothing into my game like back then I just don't really like how Second life is set up.

And it was also nice to have creative smart people who show me stuff and how to do stuff even if my ability to do the same was always a bit of struggle. I met some really talented people who did incredible stuff back then. My favorite was this artist who used the preset shapes and made elaborate statues before meshes were introduced.

Here I would need to know c + and have access to verifiable email that github will recognize to get Vintage Story's modding tool that and I can't do either so I am focus on learning how to make maps and spaces with world edit and chiseling instead.

So I really appreciate our discussion here plus its been rough time with covid quarantine and ongoing health issues and on the March 10th someone set my apartment lobby on fire and I have no elevator for next two months until parts arrive from Germany and I am stuck with a body that can't move very far. So all I can current do is learn world edit, chisel, build, eat, drink water, take meds, drink more water and sleep.

I also just personally I don't like the traditional survival play, I like stopping time forever and being creative even  if often my buildings suck and not having to do whole pve stuff.

I have this I think a 5000 block build I want to do I got it all planned out in my head but very tired, brain and body feels like mush every bone hurts and I messed with my golden orb and now the roof looks all weird and all I wanted to do is chisel realistic kitchen but feeling discouraged right now into doing anything.

I also noticed there new copy and pasting chisel tool coming up soon with undo feature that I want try soon. but I don't think QPtech has released it yet. 

But because of our discussion here I know how go back over my mistakes delete everything without starting a entire new world. But I really like to know how to undo the glass blocks and put the gold blocks back and start over on the roof.

But building in ghost town on multiplayer also sucks which after many years on Second life it pretty much felt like a ghost town too. Also Discord reminds me sorta like ghost town meets AOL/MSN/IRC chatrooms except without the never ending ASL aka age, sex, location questions, if you don't have already friends there everyone ignores you.

I also assumed there was wipes on that server because I assume most do wipes.

Edited by DX65
  • Like 1

Here is some pics of me messing around again in new world with world edit with what we discussed. I tried the erode tool but not sure if the settings were right or maybe too high. This time I used raise terrain, flood fill with option off that I forgot what you said but I know where the thingy whatchmacall is lol and erode tool its bit better than last time.

First image was after I put the base of the island in and began using erode tool. The other images are earlier images of me placing the land mass and large salt lagoon inside. I haven't placed water yet. Included is a map view, it isn't very attractive so far. The map area with stars is spawn and marking that this is rain forest(It always rains and is hot but not as hot as browner region) I assume. I added some land there. That's where I was eroding the shore line. In the brown area I would like to make a multicolored desert like mountain but I got no clue how yet how to do that. Everywhere else will be ocean with maybe some islands further on, Maybe distant volcanic island. Multicolored desert mountain would be like these here if I could pull it off: https://www.thetravel.com/most-colorful-mountains-in-the-world/

2022-03-22_02-11-34.png

2022-03-22_02-02-14.png

2022-03-22_02-01-23.png

2022-03-22_01-46-03.png

Edited by DX65
  • Like 1

One more mess before I crash.  So I raised the jungle mountains between 88 to 55 in height, lower level is about 8 in lagoon, shoreline maybe 3 feet and raised the water inside the lagoon and around the island. I tried place blocks it didn't do much. I even increased my time speed still nothing.

Here is the photo of the mess. This is pretty high up too. Even with increasing the time to speed 3 my water is ignore whatever version of gravity Vintage story has. Image here its about  height of 58 right now if I am reading it correctly. Spawn was I think 0, 3,0 if I remember correctly.

2022-03-22_04-20-34.png

Edited by DX65

The water thing is still being weird not sure how to fix, placing blocks on it doesn't make it go away or contain it.

But I got new work area made small grassy areas inside the golden orb. Here's my progress report. Sadly having issues with QPtech's new mod which is disappointment to me. Not sure how to deal with it. And I really don't want to uninstall everything.

New map view. And few other photos of inside the gold orb. Its more of beginning stages of a garden.

2022-03-22_10-48-51.png

2022-03-22_11-04-49.png

2022-03-22_11-05-22.png

2022-03-22_11-48-43.png

• Like 1

Nice. the golden orb looks really cool.

The water can be a total mess sometimes. I've had the same think happen, and i had to remove it by placing bloks at every space that had water. One thing you could try (that i didn't think) is to use the magic wand to select the water and then delete it. As long as the water is inside the selection box, it will be selected. Keep in mind you need to click on solid blocks to start doing the selection.

You should also experiment with raise tool: it can be powerfull for more natural landforms.

Erode can be a bit of hit and miss sometimes, and you just need to experiment on the options.

One thing that can improve your work efficiency alot is to make keyboard shortcuts for tools you use. The game has macro editor (ctrl+m) where you can add your own shortcuts. all the commands for world edit are here: https://wiki.vintagestory.at/index.php?title=How_to_use_WorldEdit. one of the most obvious ones is to put undo to ctrl+z. You can add multiple commands to a macro. Quite powerfull imo.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, LauriU said:

Nice. the golden orb looks really cool.

The water can be a total mess sometimes. I've had the same think happen, and i had to remove it by placing bloks at every space that had water. One thing you could try (that i didn't think) is to use the magic wand to select the water and then delete it. As long as the water is inside the selection box, it will be selected. Keep in mind you need to click on solid blocks to start doing the selection.

You should also experiment with raise tool: it can be powerfull for more natural landforms.

Erode can be a bit of hit and miss sometimes, and you just need to experiment on the options.

One thing that can improve your work efficiency alot is to make keyboard shortcuts for tools you use. The game has macro editor (ctrl+m) where you can add your own shortcuts. all the commands for world edit are here: https://wiki.vintagestory.at/index.php?title=How_to_use_WorldEdit. one of the most obvious ones is to put undo to ctrl+z. You can add multiple commands to a macro. Quite powerfull imo.

Thanks I haven't messed with the magic wand yet since we talked about it. I will try later on. I am going to probably have more of clueless mess and questions. The closest thing I got though to wizardry school is figuring out World edit, thanks for helping me some figure it out.

I keep meaning to ask how do I set up a macro and is there a tutorial out there for it?

I finally figured out a design in entire 3d part of the block its my first attempt, its very basic due to pixels I am working with but its pretty cool first attempt. Here is my first spring flowers that I like to share.

spring flowers.jpg

Edited by DX65

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.